Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,446

1 members and 3,445 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Interesting Craigslist ad

Quote Originally Posted by bsd13 View Post
    You missed the point. By a mile. What your animal does to YOU (or any other owner/keeper) isn't an issue. If you get killed by your snake and it is your own stupidity that does it "oh well". If however your animal is a danger to other people for whatever reason and you can't find it a suitable home it's time to put it down. If you can find an appropriate home, great! Don't put it down, there's no reason for it. But when your search has led you to the dregs of Craig's List I'd say your options have come pretty close to running out.

My experience comes from rehabilitating wild animals more than giant reptiles. I've had a run in with a few but never been concerned for my life with any snakes. I have however been on the wrong end of some teeth and claws one of which was a cougar that we had been rehabbing for almost 16 months from a cub.

Was it my fault I got attacked? Absolutely it was. Did I pay for it? Yeah I did. Did the animal pay for it? With it's life. And believe me it wasn't an easy choice to make but fact of the matter is that we had a supervisory board who recognized that the cat was aggressive and there was no way ANYONE could be expected to handle it and we couldn't take the chance that it wouldn't go right back into town among people.

I realize snakes and cats aren't the same thing. And I realize a cat is a lot more likely to be territorial, but you can't take the risk either way. That is irresponsible animal ownership. If I chose have a giant snake and it kills me, so what? But if it kills you then there is a problem.
    Are you serious? You put down a cougar because it was aggressive?

Hell, with that logic we need to put down every carnivore on the planet.

Banned
    Thanks

You missed the point. By a mile. What your animal does to YOU (or any other owner/keeper) isn't an issue. If you get killed by your snake and it is your own stupidity that does it "oh well". If however your animal is a danger to other people for whatever reason and you can't find it a suitable home it's time to put it down. If you can find an appropriate home, great! Don't put it down, there's no reason for it. But when your search has led you to the dregs of Craig's List I'd say your options have come pretty close to running out.
    Obviously you missed the point, by more than a mile. Who said his animal is a danger to others? It's caged, correct? Who said he couldn't find a suitable home for it? Who's to say that Craigslist wasn't one of the first places he had posted? Seems to me like you're jumping to conclusions entirely too fast. Obviously you don't get the nature of the beast, nor the giant market, nor their attitude and general "features"...Your "opinions" speak enough on your experience....

Quote Originally Posted by bsd13
    My experience comes from rehabilitating wild animals more than giant reptiles. I've had a run in with a few but never been concerned for my life with any snakes. I have however been on the wrong end of some teeth and claws one of which was a cougar that we had been rehabbing for almost 16 months from a cub.
    Alright, so you rehabilitate wild animals. And? I've done rescues for almost a decade, bred, raised, sold, and helped when it came to giants. A Cougar is entirely different from a Reticulated Python. How Cougars and Dogs even share many similarities in this is beyond me, but you seem to think different with your "vast" knowledge on them...

Was it my fault I got attacked? Absolutely it was. Did I pay for it? Yeah I did. Did the animal pay for it? With it's life. And believe me it wasn't an easy choice to make but fact of the matter is that we had a supervisory board who recognized that the cat was aggressive and there was no way ANYONE could be expected to handle it and we couldn't take the chance that it wouldn't go right back into town among people.
    I'll simply tell you this. An aggressive caged dog, or large cat is far more dangerous than an aggressive caged reptile. They're more unpredictable as well.

I realize snakes and cats aren't the same thing. And I realize a cat is a lot more likely to be territorial, but you can't take the risk either way. That is irresponsible animal ownership. If I chose have a giant snake and it kills me, so what? But if it kills you then there is a problem.
    Now where does it say he is putting others at risk or in danger? Your obviously not getting the point. He listed straight away that this animal is very aggressive, giving a responsible warning. He is not letting it roam around like some mongrel mutt, biting people. If it were stated that the animal were puppy dog tame and it wasn't, things would be different. He gave more than a fair warning on the stipulations to this animal, possible caging needs, and what it is feeding on. I've still yet to see any solid support for your opinion, other than you feel the animal needs euthanized...

Thanks

the add probably is a lie. #1 two people could not handle a 22 ft angry snake and #2 if he has dealt with this as long as he portrays then were lookin at about 10 years if the snake is 22 ft. there was a 19 ft retic at a shop bout 20 miles from me and it was 14 years old. also isnt the largest snake in the U.S. right now like 24 ft? HE LIES!!!!!!
    pin albino bp in the making

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andwhy6 View Post
    the add probably is a lie. #1 two people could not handle a 22 ft angry snake and #2 if he has dealt with this as long as he portrays then were lookin at about 10 years if the snake is 22 ft. there was a 19 ft retic at a shop bout 20 miles from me and it was 14 years old. also isnt the largest snake in the U.S. right now like 24 ft? HE LIES!!!!!!
    There are quite a handful of large 20-22' Retics. His statement on length could be a guess, since the animal is aggressive. Most hit their peak size around 8 years old, and continue to grow slowly over their life after that... 2 people could handle an animal that size. It varies upon their size and strength, the animals size and strength, as well as girth... Every animal grows at different rates. Look at what he's said he feeds it. The animals metabolism would allow it to handle those frequent large meals, and allow for that kind of growth. With giants, food & background genetics play a big role in growth and adult size...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
    There are quite a handful of large 20-22' Retics. His statement on length could be a guess, since the animal is aggressive. Most hit their peak size around 8 years old, and continue to grow slowly over their life after that... 2 people could handle an animal that size. It varies upon their size and strength, the animals size and strength, as well as girth... Every animal grows at different rates. Look at what he's said he feeds it. The animals metabolism would allow it to handle those frequent large meals, and allow for that kind of growth. With giants, food & background genetics play a big role in growth and adult size...
    oh yeah he did say he was feeding it a pig a week. hmmmm well this is an everlasting argument. hopefully the snake goes to a good home and no one of importance hears bout this. he should just go to florida and let it go... JK JK JK JK haha
    pin albino bp in the making

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ncbloods View Post
    Are you serious? You put down a cougar because it was aggressive?

Hell, with that logic we need to put down every carnivore on the planet.
    That's pretty much standard operating procedure when it comes to cougar attacks. Game wardens track it down and kill it with a rifle. It's not really anything to be surprised about. Spend some time reading some news stories about cougar attacks that have happened in California for example. Almost always, particularly recently, the authorities have tracked it down and shot the animal.

And no I didn't put down a cougar because it was aggressive. My bosses put down a cougar because it was aggressive. But I agree with their decision.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Obviously you missed the point, by more than a mile. Who said his animal is a danger to others? It's caged, correct? Who said he couldn't find a suitable home for it? Who's to say that Craigslist wasn't one of the first places he had posted? Seems to me like you're jumping to conclusions entirely too fast. Obviously you don't get the nature of the beast, nor the giant market, nor their attitude and general "features"...Your "opinions" speak enough on your experience....

Alright, so you rehabilitate wild animals. And? I've done rescues for almost a decade, bred, raised, sold, and helped when it came to giants. A Cougar is entirely different from a Reticulated Python. How Cougars and Dogs even share many similarities in this is beyond me, but you seem to think different with your "vast" knowledge on them...

I'll simply tell you this. An aggressive caged dog, or large cat is far more dangerous than an aggressive caged reptile. They're more unpredictable as well.

Now where does it say he is putting others at risk or in danger? Your obviously not getting the point. He listed straight away that this animal is very aggressive, giving a responsible warning. He is not letting it roam around like some mongrel mutt, biting people. If it were stated that the animal were puppy dog tame and it wasn't, things would be different. He gave more than a fair warning on the stipulations to this animal, possible caging needs, and what it is feeding on. I've still yet to see any solid support for your opinion, other than you feel the animal needs euthanized...
    We'll simply agree to disagree on the matter. I'll just say that my opinion comes from the information that was presented in the first post of this thread. That being

"a large, aggressive snake that an experienced owner can't handle needs a new home."

That's what I got out of reading the first post. You might read it differently, but from what I see that's what it says.

Thanks

YES they were. If you can't see that, then I don't know what to say....but heh, kids know everything now a days, I guess.....
    kids?
    sorry to say, your 21...
    its really not like you have a whole lot on me...
    im not saying IM right, or YOUR wrong.
    im saying...
    PEOPLE, IN GENERAL NEED TO LIGHTEN UP.

take it or leave it.
    it never was a debait.

Banned
    Thanks

We'll simply agree to disagree on the matter. I'll just say that my opinion comes from the information that was presented in the first post of this thread. That being

"a large, aggressive snake that an experienced owner can't handle needs a new home."

That's what I got out of reading the first post. You might read it differently, but from what I see that's what it says.
    You can agree to disagree, but with that comment in mind....where do you have the experience with large boids to comment in that manner, and base your opinions on that? Like I've stated before, he could be offering it for a number of reasons. Maybe he has too many males? Maybe he needs to free some space for up and coming clutches? Who knows....if you don't, why agree it needs euthanized?....It's very ridiculous in my opinion. That I am basing on my experience....

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FIEND_FO_LYFE View Post
    kids?
    sorry to say, your 21...
    its really not like you have a whole lot on me...
    im not saying IM right, or YOUR wrong.
    im saying...
    PEOPLE, IN GENERAL NEED TO LIGHTEN UP.

take it or leave it.
    it never was a debait.
    I'm 21, your 16. I've served in the military and now work union construction....not much for a kid myself..You own 2 snakes, where as I've been in this hobby since before I've been a teenager. Your point being? I gave you quotes when you asked for them. They were negative towards the individual that had the ad up. Seems you jumped into this thread to argue, just for the sake of arguing....

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast