Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,295

2 members and 3,293 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Interesting Craigslist ad

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
    As its been said on other threads as well to others. Nobody is forcing you to be on this forum, read the threads, or reply.
    im not saying anything about that,
    what my point is, was bassically...

"IF YOU DONT HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY, THEN DONT SAY IT"

its just respect for everyone....
    and alot of people take stuff a little too serious...

for no real reson...

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FIEND_FO_LYFE View Post
    im not saying anything about that,
    what my point is, was bassically...

"IF YOU DONT HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY, THEN DONT SAY IT"

its just respect for everyone....
    and alot of people take stuff a little too serious...

for no real reson...
    LOL...I put down fact, information, and opinion. Now you have some that laughed at him, jokingly or not. How is that nice? You have others talking about him being a negligent owner, etc. When whats funny is from what I see, he has more experience than about 90% of the posters in this thread when it comes to Retics....hmmm....is it just me or...naw....can't just be me....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
    LOL...I put down fact, information, and opinion. Now you have some that laughed at him, jokingly or not. How is that nice? You have others talking about him being a negligent owner, etc. When whats funny is from what I see, he has more experience than about 90% of the posters in this thread when it comes to Retics....hmmm....is it just me or...naw....can't just be me....
    noone made fun of this person, nor did they fully say he was a bad keeper.

maybe you need to a little better reading...
    just because we laugh or make little jokes, doesnt mean we are trying to say this guy is bad, or be mean...

here, ill put you on the spot...

i just assume you cant produce A SINGLE QUOTE FROM ONE PERSON BESIDES YOURSELF BEING RUDE, OR MEAN TOWARD THIS PERSON WITH THE RETIC.

please show it to me.
    that would be great.

thanks.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FIEND_FO_LYFE
    noone made fun of this person, nor did they fully say he was a bad keeper.

maybe you need to a little better reading...
    just because we laugh or make little jokes, doesnt mean we are trying to say this guy is bad, or be mean...

here, ill put you on the spot...

i just assume you cant produce A SINGLE QUOTE FROM ONE PERSON BESIDES YOURSELF BEING RUDE, OR MEAN TOWARD THIS PERSON WITH THE RETIC.

please show it to me.
    that would be great.

thanks.
    Hmmmm, Re-read, and came up with this, straight out of this thread...Now, Where were we again? Oh...maybe you should "read a little better" There is more than a single quote...looks more like a half a dozen. Some judging his mentality, or capabilities. Others just being rude. Now you tell me where they've owned any giants, and how many. How many have they raised to the size in question...How many have you?...

Quote Originally Posted by LadyOhh
    Sounds like this guy just is trying to pass the buck...
    Quote Originally Posted by moespeaking
    Pig a week seems excessive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mutton
    This is whats wrong with this hobby and why its in jeopardy. If the animal is that aggressive why on earch would you feed it up to that size and then continue to overfeed it.

Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22
    There really is NO easy way to deal with this situation.

It should be put in a zoo or put down. If it's aggressive, having it as a pet will not be realistic at this point. :[
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22
    I simply meant, that he clearly didn't think about this possibility in the first place. Now he has to give it up, and gladly he's doing it in a responsible way (not letting it into the wild).
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmertz
    What I find funny is that he has had it since it was a baby and it was nasty way back when and now at 22 feet he is finally realizing that it may not calm down.

LOL!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ncbloods View Post
    That's the difference though. Unless you're Michael Vick, you buy a dog with the assumption that it is a domesticated animal and will be non-aggressive given proper upbringing. If you make that same assumption with a snake, you're fooling yourself. Sure, most snakes with an attentive keeper aren't aggressive, but they're not ever tame. Heck, my most easy-going boa bit the absolute piss out of my arm last night.
    Sure, there is a difference between dogs and snakes, but dogs are out down for owner ignorance much more often than for actual bad temperament. Dogs are put down for killing cats or for giving a warning growl to a crawling toddler, etc. They get put down in essence for being dogs and having owners that don't take the time to train them and understand them. I'd say in this situation with this snake it is similar. He's just being a snake. But sometimes humans are not equipped to handle what they think they can handle and the animals suffer.

NOT that this guy is illequipped. But hypothetically speaking, a 22 foot snake that gets euthanized for being a snake when unable to be cared for by human is not so different form the 100 pound husky mix who gets left at the pound because he has no manners, is prey driven, and growls at a kid who takes his food. There is no diffference to me. It's the humans...
    Last edited by ZinniaZ; 06-30-2008 at 11:18 AM. Reason: added a couple sentences

~~ZinniaZ
    2.1.0 ball python-- James Herriot the Spider BP and Paradox, my son's female normal BP, Jack London, het red axanthic
    0.1 Blue Beauty-- Anna Sewall

Thanks

I bet we are going to hear, police found a man squeezed to death by a giant Python after he ordered it off the internet, on the news!
    I'm not afraid of snakes, because I got Balls!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZinniaZ View Post
    Sure, there is a difference between dogs and snakes, but dogs are out down for owner ignorance much more often than for actual bad temperament. Dogs are put down for killing cats or for giving a warning growl to a crawling toddler, etc. They get put down in essence for being dogs and having owners that don't take the time to train them and understand them. I'd say in this situation with this snake it is similar. He's just being a snake. But sometimes humans are not equipped to handle what they think they can handle and the animals suffer.

NOT that this guy is illequipped. But hypothetically speaking, a 22 foot snake that gets euthanized for being a snake when unable to be cared for by human is not so different form the 100 pound husky mix who gets left at the pound because he has no manners, is prey driven, and growls at a kid who takes his food. There is no diffference to me. It's the humans...
    Good post.

I'm of the mind that snakes are our captive's, not a domestic animal in the least. They are a hardwired, instinctive and most of all WILD animal.

I think euthanasia is a ridiculous idea for this snake. He's being a snake for heavens sake! They aren't dogs! They aren't horses, cats or birds!

Not having owned any giants myself, I also know that somewhere out there people appreciate the snakes in all of their personalities.

What if this snake is acting aggressively from the keepers care, and when taken to a new keeper, the snake acts like every other retic?

I find some of the responses here shed some light onto the ongoing saga of us humans trying to force our animals to fit our perceptions, instead of us accepting nature as it is.

Thanks

I don't understand why snakes get special treatment because we keep them? People don't bat an eye at someone culling a biting rat or a dog who has injured a person. But when someone has something that is life threatening and they are unable to care for the snake, euthanasia is a good last option.

Not to mention he has to find someone reasonably local that can care for a 22-foot aggresive snake. Or he could just let it go right? Euthanasia would be responsible if he were unable to rehome it.

Thanks

I was under the impression that many here believe the snake should be euthanised because of his behavior. NOT because he wants to or is unable to rehome it.

Again this isn't a domestic animal and should not be expected to behave like a dog or cat. (or rat for that matter)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    I was under the impression that many here believe the snake should be euthanised because of his behavior. NOT because he wants to or is unable to rehome it.

Again this isn't a domestic animal and should not be expected to behave like a dog or cat. (or rat for that matter)

I don't understand how behavior DOESN'T influence the decision. Regardless if it is "not a domestic animal", if the man is not willing to risk his life caring for this thing or the two other people he says he needs, what else is he expected to do if he can't rehome it? There is a difference between an agressive ball python and a 250+ lb monster and saying behavior at that size doesn't play a role is ludacris imo.

Don't bother with he shouldn't have got it in the first place. He probably shouldn't, but he obviously felt like he could tame it and had enough experience.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast