Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,224

1 members and 3,223 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Interesting Craigslist ad

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    What does that mean?

I simply meant, that he clearly didn't think about this possibility in the first place. Now he has to give it up, and gladly he's doing it in a responsible way (not letting it into the wild). But there is no good way to go about it because theres probably not going to be anyone willing to take a 22ft aggressive animal such as that. Yes, it's probably smaller or mis-sexed but it's still probably not going to be sold or go anywhere but a zoo or some type of shelter.
    I understand that this is out of my range of experience and I obviously would never buy an animal of that size (personally) and I know many other people would be ok with that, but I don't know how easy it would be for most.
    I wouldn't say that he didn't think about it. He has 4 retics, and having raised this one from a baby to 22 feet took several years. He's obviously not a novice. Like others have said, he probably got tired of it, is getting out of the hobby, or whatever.

Ya'll can't fault him for being honest. If he wants to get rid of it, that's his option. He's going about it in a responsible honest manner.

And euthanasia is ludicrous. Reticulated pythons are not puppy dogs, and they're not balls. They aren't tame, domesticated, or something you're going to put a little dress on and walk around the dog park. They deserve respect, and a healthy working relationship. It's like putting down a pet alligator for eating your cat.

People seem to lose sight of the fact that at the end of the day, captive bred or not, these are wild animals we're dealing with here. Sometimes despite good care and interaction some snakes are aggressive regardless. Euthanasia is not an answer for that.

Banned
    Thanks

What does that mean?
    It means that you lack the experience to even comment in the way you did. The giant hobby is a whole other ball game...leave it be till you've got your hands wet...

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22
    I simply meant, that he clearly didn't think about this possibility in the first place. Now he has to give it up, and gladly he's doing it in a responsible way (not letting it into the wild).
    If he has raised this animal as a hatchling, up to the size he has, which would take well over half a decade, I do believe he has thought about the possibilities. On that same note, he owns other Retics. If he's feeding pigs (whichever size appropriate) on a weekly basis...pigs are expensive, and do require some dedication to give it the necessary food intake. He could have pulled the whole maintenance feeding BS, and fed it rats or rabbits, but chose to go about things in a manner that had the Retics health in mind...

But there is no good way to go about it because theres probably not going to be anyone willing to take a 22ft aggressive animal such as that. Yes, it's probably smaller or mis-sexed but it's still probably not going to be sold or go anywhere but a zoo or some type of shelter.
    Again, you comment on something you know nothing about. Why not let an experienced keeper reply or comment on that? It's just making you look bad. You've probably read about all the abandoned giants everyone has at shelters etc etc, until it comes time for adoption and there are very few available. Truth is, Ball Pythons, Boa constrictor imperator, the common Corn Snake, King snakes, Rat snakes, Monitor Lizards, even frogs ALL circulate through the animal shelters in much worse shape than giants do, and with much more regularity. There are a great number of hobbyists, breeders, etc, that would take the opportunity to give this animal a chance. Euthanasia is far from necessary, as I've stated before.

If there was no good way to go about it, the animal would no longer be in his care...
    He went about it the right way by looking for a home. He could have other ads put up for adoption on any of the various reptile forums. Who's to say?

I understand that this is out of my range of experience and I obviously would never buy an animal of that size (personally) and I know many other people would be ok with that, but I don't know how easy it would be for most.
    And that is where you are separated from him. He seems to know about basic husbandry skills and nutrition requirements, as well as size. You don't seem to comprehend that, and in turn, comment like you've owned a couple dozen. If this is out of your experience range, "Why" comment...especially in the way you have? Honestly, who in this thread has raised a handful of giants? How many have raised at least one? I'm not speaking of a Red-tail Boa either...They're far from giant...

Perhaps this is an extra male he just doesn't need for his breeding projects? You don't see anyone getting bashed for selling off extra males of other species.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
    It means that you lack the experience to even comment in the way you did. The giant hobby is a whole other ball game...leave it be till you've got your hands wet...

If he has raised this animal as a hatchling, up to the size he has, which would take well over half a decade, I do believe he has thought about the possibilities. On that same note, he owns other Retics. If he's feeding pigs (whichever size appropriate) on a weekly basis...pigs are expensive, and do require some dedication to give it the necessary food intake. He could have pulled the whole maintenance feeding BS, and fed it rats or rabbits, but chose to go about things in a manner that had the Retics health in mind...

Again, you comment on something you know nothing about. Why not let an experienced keeper reply or comment on that? It's just making you look bad. You've probably read about all the abandoned giants everyone has at shelters etc etc, until it comes time for adoption and there are very few available. Truth is, Ball Pythons, Boa constrictor imperator, the common Corn Snake, King snakes, Rat snakes, Monitor Lizards, even frogs ALL circulate through the animal shelters in much worse shape than giants do, and with much more regularity. There are a great number of hobbyists, breeders, etc, that would take the opportunity to give this animal a chance. Euthanasia is far from necessary, as I've stated before.

If there was no good way to go about it, the animal would no longer be in his care...
    He went about it the right way by looking for a home. He could have other ads put up for adoption on any of the various reptile forums. Who's to say?

And that is where you are separated from him. He seems to know about basic husbandry skills and nutrition requirements, as well as size. You don't seem to comprehend that, and in turn, comment like you've owned a couple dozen. If this is out of your experience range, "Why" comment...especially in the way you have? Honestly, who in this thread has raised a handful of giants? How many have raised at least one? I'm not speaking of a Red-tail Boa either...They're far from giant...

Perhaps this is an extra male he just doesn't need for his breeding projects? You don't see anyone getting bashed for selling off extra males of other species.
    My original post was my opinion just like everyone else's. I don't understand why my post was immediately drawn upon when most people here that posted as well haven't owned a large animal such as this either. I know I have no experience, but I was stating my opinion as well as stating that I had no experience in the first place.
    Yes, I'm sure I have only heard the bad side of the story with all the burms and large snakes being released into the wild, getting killed, exc.
    You don't have to get so angry about it. I posted a two sentence opinion, not a giant explanation on what knowing more about this type of situation than anyone else. I don't think there is an easy way to go about this situation because giving it up will be hard as well as finding someone to purchase it. It'll be difficult to move too, so I donno, but I think it's just a very hard situation to be in and would prefer to not be in it myself.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ncbloods View Post
    I wouldn't say that he didn't think about it. He has 4 retics, and having raised this one from a baby to 22 feet took several years. He's obviously not a novice. Like others have said, he probably got tired of it, is getting out of the hobby, or whatever.

Ya'll can't fault him for being honest. If he wants to get rid of it, that's his option. He's going about it in a responsible honest manner.

And euthanasia is ludicrous. Reticulated pythons are not puppy dogs, and they're not balls. They aren't tame, domesticated, or something you're going to put a little dress on and walk around the dog park. They deserve respect, and a healthy working relationship. It's like putting down a pet alligator for eating your cat.

People seem to lose sight of the fact that at the end of the day, captive bred or not, these are wild animals we're dealing with here. Sometimes despite good care and interaction some snakes are aggressive regardless. Euthanasia is not an answer for that.
    Agreed, I don't think it should be put down either. However, that may not be what someone else might think, and that someone else might decide to put it down. :[

Thanks

It doesn't appear that the size of this animal is the issue as much as the aggression. I can only imagine the difficulties one would have finding a home for a large animal such as this after all it's at a point where it can't be shipped -- so it would have to be local -- and then it's aggressive as well -- good luck.

Whereas it is always sad to hear of an animal being put to sleep -- you have to remember that every day dogs that are aggressive and considered non adoptable are put down as well. And it would be better than doing something irresponsible such as letting it loose. Not saying it's right -- but if every effort is made to find it a home and none can be found -- perhaps the lesser of two evils.

That being said Craigslist was probably the wrong place to try to off load this type of animal -- maybe Bob Clark needs another Fluffy or knows of someone that might be able to help out.

Its an unfortunate situation all around.
    Tosha

The web page: JET Pythons
    The blog: http://jetpythons.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Thanks

My original post was my opinion just like everyone else's. I don't understand why my post was immediately drawn upon when most people here that posted as well haven't owned a large animal such as this either. I know I have no experience, but I was stating my opinion as well as stating that I had no experience in the first place.
    Yes, I'm sure I have only heard the bad side of the story with all the burms and large snakes being released into the wild, getting killed, exc.
    You don't have to get so angry about it. I posted a two sentence opinion, not a giant explanation on what knowing more about this type of situation than anyone else. I don't think there is an easy way to go about this situation because giving it up will be hard as well as finding someone to purchase it. It'll be difficult to move too, so I donno, but I think it's just a very hard situation to be in and would prefer to not be in it myself.
    I stated an opinion on multiple users posts, not just yours. Don't make yourself out to be a victim. If you have no experience, it leaves your opinion with little credibility...end of that. Am I getting angry? Somewhat.... You've jumped how many of my posts, trying to correct me with flase information. Get over yourself. You don't know as much as your making it out to be. If you have no experience, it shouldn't be a subject you should try and touch. As for finding someone to purchase it. How many people are in the USA? How many of those love animals? As for shipping...its called Delta Nuff said......

Thanks

What does that mean?

I simply meant, that he clearly didn't think about this possibility in the first place. Now he has to give it up, and gladly he's doing it in a responsible way (not letting it into the wild). But there is no good way to go about it because theres probably not going to be anyone willing to take a 22ft aggressive animal such as that. Yes, it's probably smaller or mis-sexed but it's still probably not going to be sold or go anywhere but a zoo or some type of shelter.
    Personally I know of a person (a pretty good friend of mine) who would take this animal in if it was within a few hours drive. He seems to have a thing for the big ones with the "misunderstood" tempermants.
    I have had these animals in the past and decided it's better to take a ride to interact with them rather than keep them here any more. You really need to own one of these animals to appreciate what it is like to keep them. The food bill is crazy, you NEED a second person there when taking them out, watch out when the "floodgates" open with a retic (I can just imagine what it would be like with a 20 plus footer because I know a 12 footer makes a shooting mess EVERYWHERE), and the caging/heating is expensive.
    Someone with experience who is close enough to transport the snake will most likely turn up. It just takes time. It seems to me from what the ad stated that he is taking good care of it in the meantime.

Thanks

Wait. Rhode Island?
    Hmm. Gonna make a call.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tosha_Mc View Post
    Whereas it is always sad to hear of an animal being put to sleep -- you have to remember that every day dogs that are aggressive and considered non adoptable are put down as well. And it would be better than doing something irresponsible such as letting it loose. Not saying it's right -- but if every effort is made to find it a home and none can be found -- perhaps the lesser of two evils.
    That's the difference though. Unless you're Michael Vick, you buy a dog with the assumption that it is a domesticated animal and will be non-aggressive given proper upbringing. If you make that same assumption with a snake, you're fooling yourself. Sure, most snakes with an attentive keeper aren't aggressive, but they're not ever tame. Heck, my most easy-going boa bit the absolute piss out of my arm last night.

Stinkin' hot Tucson, AZ (it's somewhere between California and New Mexico).
    Thanks

What I find funny is that he has had it since it was a baby and it was nasty way back when and now at 22 feet he is finally realizing that it may not calm down.

LOL!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast