Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,190

1 members and 3,189 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Interesting Craigslist ad

yeah, honestly, its great that he is being honest, but being huge like that, and mean, a zoo or something or putting it down... =[
    2.0 Ball Pythons
    0.1 Red Tail Boas
    1.4 Rabbits
    0.1 German Shepherd

Thanks

someone should contact the guy and suggest a zoo for sure. the animal should NOT be put down because it's agressive. that's kind of illogical. i wonder why it's so agressive? either way i feel bad for the animal and wish it the best.

either that or yeah, it would probably make some nice purses. but thats kind of sick to think of >< !!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ViciousBliss View Post
    someone should contact the guy and suggest a zoo for sure. the animal should NOT be put down because it's agressive. that's kind of illogical.

either that or yeah, it would probably make some nice purses. but thats kind of sick to think of >< !!!

I don't understand the issue with this ad? He is the most upfront I've seen on craigslist.

How is putting down a 22 foot snake because it is aggressive wrong? Something that size is nothing to mess around with and if he can't care for it and if he couldn't find anywhere else to care for it, it sounds like a good last option.

It also sounds like he gave it proper space and he is responsible. The feeding maybe an issue, but you have no idea how large of meals he is feeding it and retics generally eat bigger meals to begin with, they are not ball pythons.

Sounds like people are jumping on this guy for doing an honest thing and giving up a snake he can't take care of.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moespeaking View Post
    pig a week seems excessive.
    You wouldn't need a pig a week. If you can find decent sized pigs or goats or whatever, they can go on a few meals a year.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mutton View Post
    This is whats wrong with this hobby and why its in jeopardy. If the animal is that aggressive why on earch would you feed it up to that size and then continue to overfeed it.

Nick
    Know how I can tell this is a lie? You will never find a male retic at 22 feet.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Donley, contact the seller and find out if this is for real. I can guarantee it's not because as I said, male retics do not get 22'.

Banned
    Thanks

Euthanasia is not the right way to go about it in any way...period. Why would it be needed? The snake is healthy, and sounds like its getting decent care, although I don't quite agree with the room for an enclosure deal..As for it being a 22' male....I'll put my paycheck on it, its not. It's either a mis-sexed female, or its actually smaller. Most of the "giant snakes" reported tend to shrink when stacked up against a measuring tape...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mutton
    This is whats wrong with this hobby and why its in jeopardy. If the animal is that aggressive why on earch would you feed it up to that size and then continue to overfeed it.

Nick
    I really don't understand your point...

Your saying that someone feeding their animal in a healthy manner is whats wrong with the hobby? Maintenance feeding any giant normally leaves them at smaller sizes, with irritable temperaments. Why do it? Just because you want something smaller doesn't mean you should feed them conservatively. If you want something smaller, buy something smaller...He never mentioned releasing it either. So where did that comment come from?

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22
    There really is NO easy way to deal with this situation.

It should be put in a zoo or put down. If it's aggressive, having it as a pet will not be realistic at this point. :[
    How is it unrealistic to own something like that as a pet? They are for the experienced keeper, but just because it is surreal to you, doesn't make it so. I'm still having a hard time understanding majority of your posts....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RKO View Post
    Donley, contact the seller and find out if this is for real. I can guarantee it's not because as I said, male retics do not get 22'.
    Maybe he bought it as a male and because of it's temperament, doesn't feel like verifying the sex?
    I have also found people also seem to add a few feet to animals that are really large due to estimating instead of actually measuring.
    The guy is being upfront. The snake is large and agressive and needs an experienced keeper.
    Underfeeding this snake will just make it more agressive. He should be feeding it normally like he is.
    Why put it down? Retics are not ball pythons. Some are docile, some are psycho, ALL need to be respected.
    An experienced large boid keeper can deal with this snake. He probably can too but decided it is too much of a hassle.
    Trying to place the animal rather than neglect it and want an experienced keeper to take it due to the size and temperament is a good thing IMO.
    You may not need a room size enclosure but you definitely need a custom cage. Not a glass fish tank. Hopefully saying you need a room will prevent the people that think keeping a big snake would be cool from asking for it and going to the nearest Petland to buy a fish tank and screen top.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    Maybe he bought it as a male and because of it's temperament, doesn't feel like verifying the sex?
    I have also found people also seem to add a few feet to animals that are really large due to estimating instead of actually measuring.
    The guy is being upfront. The snake is large and agressive and needs an experienced keeper.
    Underfeeding this snake will just make it more agressive. He should be feeding it normally like he is.
    Why put it down? Retics are not ball pythons. Some are docile, some are psycho, ALL need to be respected.
    An experienced large boid keeper can deal with this snake. He probably can too but decided it is too much of a hassle.
    Trying to place the animal rather than neglect it and want an experienced keeper to take it due to the size and temperament is a good thing IMO.
    You may not need a room size enclosure but you definitely need a custom cage. Not a glass fish tank. Hopefully saying you need a room will prevent the people that think keeping a big snake would be cool from asking for it and going to the nearest Petland to buy a fish tank and screen top.
    Exactly man. Good points.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
    Euthanasia is not the right way to go about it in any way...period. Why would it be needed? The snake is healthy, and sounds like its getting decent care, although I don't quite agree with the room for an enclosure deal..As for it being a 22' male....I'll put my paycheck on it, its not. It's either a mis-sexed female, or its actually smaller. Most of the "giant snakes" reported tend to shrink when stacked up against a measuring tape...

I really don't understand your point...

Your saying that someone feeding their animal in a healthy manner is whats wrong with the hobby? Maintenance feeding any giant normally leaves them at smaller sizes, with irritable temperaments. Why do it? Just because you want something smaller doesn't mean you should feed them conservatively. If you want something smaller, buy something smaller...He never mentioned releasing it either. So where did that comment come from?

How is it unrealistic to own something like that as a pet? They are for the experienced keeper, but just because it is surreal to you, doesn't make it so. I'm still having a hard time understanding majority of your posts....
    What does that mean?

I simply meant, that he clearly didn't think about this possibility in the first place. Now he has to give it up, and gladly he's doing it in a responsible way (not letting it into the wild). But there is no good way to go about it because theres probably not going to be anyone willing to take a 22ft aggressive animal such as that. Yes, it's probably smaller or mis-sexed but it's still probably not going to be sold or go anywhere but a zoo or some type of shelter.
    I understand that this is out of my range of experience and I obviously would never buy an animal of that size (personally) and I know many other people would be ok with that, but I don't know how easy it would be for most.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast