Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,412

1 members and 3,411 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Picked up a crestie

Hey,

I've been looking through pictures of these little guys and I couldn't resist after seeing one at the pet store.

I just have a few questions since as you noe there is so much contradicting info on the net.

I picked up a exo terra viv, the measurments are 18x18x18... how does that sounds? I love it since it has front swing out doors. I have trouble picturing how big a 10 gallon, 20 gallon tank etc...I hope this viv is fine but I will await feedback and save the box and receipt.

I put papertowels for now as substrate and put a bunch of vines and stuff.Do these guys need some sort of hide on the floor?

temps?
    I have some thermostats from my ball and leftover blue/red bulbs. I hear low wattage?? wats considered low wattage?

humidity?
    around 60? Do i need to mist? cause I have a humidifier
    where to place thermometer/thermostat probes?

I'm a little confused about food...the lady said baby food, 2 parts fruit to one part meat.....wat do u guys think? The store didn't have the CGD stuff and after I post this I'm gonna go hunt for it.
    Crickets? meal worms? the crickets at the store were huge compared to this guy. when to feed?

I was wondering if anyone have setup pics?? I did a search and for some reason my computer won't show them to me.

If anyone else has any other useful info. please feel free to add

Thanks in advance
    Chester

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Picked up a crestie

The enclosure you got is fine for a subadult to adult crested although if the gecko you got is a hatchling or young juvie it will do better in something smaller like a kritter keeper so that it can more easily find its food.

Paper towels are great substrate (the best IMO for cresteds). I do provide hides on the ground for my cresteds--some use them and some don't.

Cresteds do not need any sort of supplemental lighting unless your temps are below 65 and you are using it for heat. Even then your temps should never get above 80--cresteds need temps between 68-78.

Humidity of 60% is just right. You should mist once or twice per day for humidity and also so that the gecko can drink the water droplets. Make sure the enclosure dries out between mistings in order to avoid mold growth.

I'm not sure what the person in the pet store meant about fruit and meat unless she was talking about mixing baby food together, but baby food should be avoided as it is very high in sugar. You should feed the T-Rex crested gecko diet, which you mix 2 parts water to one part diet. You can purchase the diet here: http://www.pangeareptile.com/products.htm#superfoods.

Insects are not required but most cresteds like them and enjoy hunting them. You can feed crickets (the length of the cricket should be no more than the width between your gecko's eyes), Phoenix worms, silkworms, feeder roaches. Mealworms are not a good choice as cresteds cannot digest their chitinous shells, thus they serve only as filler and not nutrition.
    - Emily

Thanks

thanks, after searching the shelved of 3 different pet stores I finally found the CGD. Do cresties learn quick, like can I make him learn where I put his food?

I put my thermometer probe dangling in the middle of the cage, halfway up, I'm not sure where to put it cause hes all over the place.

this might be a stupid question, but I also have a ball python, I know that usually wen ppl pick up multiple snakes they quarantine them just in case they are sik.....can my ball catch anything from the crestie if it is indeed sik?

hm...I can't think of anymore questions of right now....o yea....how many time a week do I feed??

Thanks

sorry one more thing.

Since its a screan top, I'm having trouble with humidity, can I cover the top in tinfoil?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

They can learn where their food is if you "show" them but if the cage is too big they still may not get enough. Keep an eye on him and make sure he eating and that you do see lick marks in the food. If you feed insects try feeding them out of a cup or something that they cannot get out of so that he will have an easier time and won't lose the crickets in the enclosure.

Definitely quarantine your gecko. While cresteds are very hardy animals they can still carry parasites that can be transmitted to other reptile including ball pythons. Even after quarantine you are not guaranteed that one or the other animal does not have internal parasites unless you have fecals done (which is never a bad idea) so you still need to practice good husbandy and cleanliness.

You should feed at least 2-3 times per week, hatchlings and juvies being fed more often than adults (unless they are breeding).

Saran wrap or works well for keeping in some humidity or you can cover the top with a towel. If you use saran wrap leave some of the screen uncovered for some air exchange.
    - Emily

Thanks

Thanks so much emily for helping me out.
    Can wait to post up some pics...this little guy is too cute

Thanks
    Blog Entries

No problems--looking forward to the pics!
    - Emily

Thanks

I fed my crestie crickets for hte first time, I finally found the repcal stuff in my town after looking forever for it. IT was real interesting to watch him hunt for his food. I accidentally put too many in there.....I don't knoe how I'm gonna get the extra ones out. I think my only option is to wait it out til tomorrow and clean out the cage, bummer, I don't feel like stressing him out even more by moving all his stuff around

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Keeping uneaten crickets in with him may stress him even more - I'd risk disturbing him to get them out.

Thanks

true, theres sooo many branches and vines in his enclosure. i'mma clean it out first thing tomorrow. I put I think like 8-9, he ate at least 5 off the bat. I left him alone for an hour and I think he ate most of thenm, I can't believe tha tlittle thing put down ~7 crickets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast