Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,477

6 members and 3,471 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Two Ball Pythons

I just bought another ball python today. I already have one which is smaller that I have had for about 2 1/2 years now. The guy at the reptile shop said its fine that they are together in the same habitat. They are both boys too. Is it normal for the smaller one to be a little afraid and territorial? The bigger one is getting use to the new home now, but the little one is a bit sketchy. I am not afraid of the big one fighting, I am afraid of the littler one to fight. What should I do? Any advice?

Thanks

Re: Two Ball Pythons

Most people here will recommend that you separate them. I have no personal experience, but I will say that most herpers do not keep BPs together exceed for breeding.

Thanks

Well, reptile shops usually have a bunch together, and they arn't trying to get them to breed

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

The standard excuse is the reptile shop represents temporary housing and your set up should be the best it can be - the real answer is it is cheaper for the shop to do it that way.

Your snakes will be better apart in their own enclosures.

Have a search on the forums for the reasons against putting multiple snakes in the same cage - there are very few reasons to say it is a good idea for the averadge snake keeper.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by derwood.cronshaw View Post
    Well, reptile shops usually have a bunch together, and they arn't trying to get them to breed
    Because the pet store does it does not mean you should do it.

Most pet stores provide less than suitable husbandry to their animals, even pet store specialized in reptiles.

Again

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    What pet stores would tell you just to sell an animal

One thing they should have tell you about is proper quarantine procedure to start with (housing snakes in different enclosure, different room so you do not put your established snake at risks)

Anyway here is a solution for you, separate them and provide each of your snake with their on individual enclosure.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ball pythons are solitary animals, and the advice you got is a prime reason you shouldn't get your husbandry advice from the pet stores.

Besides the fact that they didn't caution you to quarantine any new additions for a minimum of 90 days, they also advised that you house together! Should be shocking, but it's not.

There's no benefit to housing together, and if you're doing it for convenience, that's not a good enough reason. You need to be able to provide two separate enclosures.

One will always be stressed. Stress can lead to lowered immunity which can lead to illness which will lead to two vet bills.

Do your pets a favor and separate them.

Thanks

I keep two males together and I am seeing no problems at all. They both are great eaters and have perfrect sheds. When i first put them together they were a little jumpy and got used to eachother pretty soon. I think it even helped a little in the way they act when i handle them. They seem much more relaxed and less jumpy now. It seems like they got used to being around something that moves and handeling isn't a worry at all anymore

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by derwood.cronshaw View Post
    I just bought another ball python today. I already have one which is smaller that I have had for about 2 1/2 years now. The guy at the reptile shop said its fine that they are together in the same habitat. They are both boys too. Is it normal for the smaller one to be a little afraid and territorial? The bigger one is getting use to the new home now, but the little one is a bit sketchy. I am not afraid of the big one fighting, I am afraid of the littler one to fight. What should I do? Any advice?
    Quote Originally Posted by jsballs08 View Post
    I keep two males together and I am seeing no problems at all. They both are great eaters and have perfrect sheds. When i first put them together they were a little jumpy and got used to eachother pretty soon. I think it even helped a little in the way they act when i handle them. They seem much more relaxed and less jumpy now. It seems like they got used to being around something that moves and handeling isn't a worry at all anymore
    i don't understand why people ask for advice then refuse to take it.

it is NOT good for the animals to be housed together. there are a multitude of reasons for this, including but not limited to the following;

1. you didnt quarantine your new addition and if its carrying something, chances are your older animal has it too anything from parasites, worms, sickness and disease, (even if there arent any symptoms yet)

2. did you get these animals sexed from a reliable source? or are you trusting the pet store.. this means you could have two opposite genders and you have the chance that they could now breed early causing the female (if one is a female) problems and possibly killing her

3. cannabilism is known to occur in a few documented cases involving BPs

4. if one of your animals is sick, you probably wont know which one because you cant tell their feces/urates/regurges apart

5. if one gets sick, they both get sick and now you have to spend 2x the amount of money in vet care.

6. Actions we see as "cuddling" are actually one snake dominating the other. they both may be eating fine now but how long is that going to last? the smaller one is especially at risk for stress which could lower immune levels.

housing two animals in one enclosure when they arent social isnt something novice keepers should do. each animal should have their own space to thrive. if cost is the problem then maybe you need to take one back or rehome him until you can provide a sutible environment for any animal that comes into your home.

if you're trying to make them more handlable, you should change some of your husbandry stuffs. they sound like theyre very insecure in their environments. cover the sides of their enclosure(S!) with dark paper and let them relax for a little.

with you telling the difference in size between the two of them i cant imagine how the little guy is feeling secure.

Thanks

both of mine are close in size and neither shows domninance through "cuddeling" its whoever gets in the hide first is the one who is usually in the middle, there are numerous hides in the encloser and they always are in the same one. Putting them together wasnt a strategy for better handeling it was just an observation after putting them together after a quarantine. Sometimes you have to try things yourself instead of listening to other people all the time. Don't get me wrong people have awesome advice and I thank everyone who has given it to me in the past. This seems to me like its more of an individual expirenece between different snakes and their owners

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

both of mine are close in size and neither shows domninance through "cuddeling" its whoever gets in the hide first is the one who is usually in the middle, there are numerous hides in the encloser and they always are in the same one. Putting them together wasnt a strategy for better handeling it was just an observation after putting them together after a quarantine. Sometimes you have to try things yourself instead of listening to other people all the time. Don't get me wrong people have awesome advice and I thank everyone who has given it to me in the past. This seems to me like its more of an individual expirenece between different snakes and their owners
    That, my friend, is dominance. With numerous hides to choose from, they are always in the same one. One is dominating the other one for the perceived "best spot" in the enclosure.

If you don't know what to look for, the signs of stress are so subtle.

Can you keep two ball pythons together? Sure you can. Should you? No, I personally don't believe you should.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast