Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,365

1 members and 3,364 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Question about Red Tail Boas

I am thinking my next snake will be a Red Tail Boa. But before I jump into the market I have a few questions about them.

1: What is their temperment like? Are they very docile (Like a BP), or are they mildly aggressive or very aggressive?

2: Whats the average size I should expect it to get? and whats the max possibility it could get up to.

3: What kind of enclosure, hides, substrates, size of emcolsure, temperatures does it need to be maintained?

Thanks

Thanks

Re: Question about Red Tail Boas

1: What is their temperment like? Are they very docile (Like a BP), or are they mildly aggressive or very aggressive?
    My boa Jaxson is very relaxed with me... im the one who holds him on a fairly regular basis (couple times a week) when my husband holds him he is very flighty and doesnt want to be near him, i blame that mostly on the fact he doesnt like boas. he has an amazing feeding response and i know better then to hold him when hes due to eat (or the day before) he gives a nice big loud hiss and i know today isnt a good day. otherwise hes great.. just as docile as the ball python but with a curious twist... i love it about him. i have mostly balls (10 total currently) and one boa... hes just enough for me

2: Whats the average size I should expect it to get? and whats the max possibility it could get up to. depends on the species you get... i would suggest doing your research, males stay smaller then females though. my 7mos old is over 300g and about 3ft long give or take (need to actually measure him)

3: What kind of enclosure, hides, substrates, size of encolsure, temperatures does it need to be maintained?
    i have basically the same set-up for him as i do for my BPs, standard black hide, porcelain water bowl, exc one exception of a grape vine branch (?) thin/twisty branch in his bin.. i do that so he has something to climb/rest on.. although i rarely see him using it at least its in there. for temps, substrate, exc you need to do your research... we use all newspaper or papertowels here currently but in the past when we used aspen he loved burrowing in it.

Thanks

This should answer your questions

http://redtailboas.com/care/TheUltim...-Published.pdf

Thanks

Depends on the species. My columbians are sweet hearts. Ive had a Suri in the past, and he was not so friendly.

2: Whats the average size I should expect it to get? and whats the max possibility it could get up to.

Average 6-8 females 5-6 males. That being said some Locales can get much, much larger.

3: What kind of enclosure, hides, substrates, size of emcolsure, temperatures does it need to be maintained?

Enclosure is up to you, simpler the better, less things to clean. Most adult boas will do good in a 4'x2' cage. Some keep there larger females in 6'x2' cages.

I also use packing paper, a hell of a lot easier to change than a bucket full of aspen every week!

Thanks

REd tails are very good snakes. If you have any experience with ball pythons and have good husbandry down then I dont see any reason why a RTB couldn't thrive with you also. They are lovely animals very very very docile I have yet to see a nippy red tail even as babies most if not all are quite calm. Just do a little research on which locality you would like to buy. Most likely you will get a BCI (not a true red tail.) Which arent as large as bcc specimens.
    Chris http://dragcave.net/user/sg1trogdor
    Time for some until I see

Thanks

For a first boa, I urge you to look at Columbians (bci) as they are more forgiving of husbandry issues and typically have great personalities.

Just a comment on temperament: This depends on the individual snake, the age when you purchase and the breeder. I would encourage you to talk to breeders and get an idea from them about the personality of the snake you're interested in. If it's an older snake, make sure that it has been handled regularly and not just left alone in a tub.

As for cage size, I have 3 boas each in a 2x3 RBI cage. Mine are all girls and so when they outgrow their enclosures I'll be getting them 6x2x2 cages. Even were I to get a male I would still get the larger enclosure since snakes will use the amount of space that they are given.

Boas are much more interactive compared to a ball. Boas climb and hang out and are not so timid. They are really curious. I offered hides to my boas but 2 of them never use them; preferring to hang out on branches and ledges that I have made for them. The other girl likes to burrow in her area of aspen that I provide over the paper substrate. I use radiant heat panels for my boas and that has worked out really well.

Like Ashley, my boas will tell me when they don't want to be messed with by a human. I have one boa who is a very hissy girl, but she is my son's and she responds well to him. He never allows her to condition him! Again, look deeply into the personality of the snake and the interaction that the breeder has with the snake prior to purchase.

Jimisnakes.com breeds boas who are just as sweet as can be. If you want a more challenging one, he has them too and can let you know which ones have more...gumption! It really comes down to what catches your eye and breeder knowledge and communication.

I adore my boas. That said, big snakes are not for everyone. Think long and hard about everything and if you decide a boa is the right snake for you, contact a reputable breeder and start the dialog!!

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

Boas are very big climbers, so for their cage make sure to enclude something for them to climb on.

They can get big, but everyone that has posted here has basically covered everything.

In my experience, red tails have been pretty docile for me. It depends on the snake though.

Thanks

to the one above who said colombians dont strike ... lol mine was pissed enough at me today to give it a go.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Whodinidunit View Post
    In my experience I would say they are a fairly laid back snake that doesn't stress as easily as a ball python. HOWEVER, this is a generalization and no snake will do what you expect every time you expect it. A tag from a 3 foot ball python is one thing, a tag from an 8 foot boa can be quite another. Respect what the snake is capable of, plan for it....that's always best I think.

Most boa's seem to have a very good feeding response, a very strong strike capability and a long strike range. Care needs to be taken on feeding night as most boas are quite "anxious" to get to their prey LOL.

This is a 16 year old female Colombian boa (boa constrictor imperator). She is approximately 8.5 to 9 feet in length and pure muscle every inch. I think with this species it's very important to have them sexed as males tend to be smaller and if you do want a female you should be prepared for the possibility of a very good sized snake.

There are a number of housing options. What is appropriate for a hatchling boa isn't right for a snake like the one pictured above (who has her own custom closet rehab enclosure).

For substrates with our boas we use a combination of aspen and cypress mulch. This helps hold humidity in their larger enclosures and we find stands up well under their greater weight than pure aspen would. The large female boa does not have a hide but does have areas of her large enclosure where she can retreat out of sight. The smaller boas have dark black rubber or plastic hides (one on the warm side). We keep the boas a bit cooler than the ball pythons and only offer them supplemental heat during cooler temps or when they are digesting a meal (they live in a room with naturally high ambient temps).
    ~~Joanna~~