Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,073

1 members and 3,072 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Angry Rodent Pro...PLEASE READ!!!

I am extremely upset. I ordered a bags of rats and mice from rodent pro a while ago and everything has been fine feeding these rats and mice to my snakes. The rats where in perfect condition. On the other hand I had noticed on the mice that the hand or legs would sometimes be broken or completely gone. I figured this happened during shipping, I couldn't think of any other reason. Well today I was thawing a mouse for my small female and once it was almost done thawing the head was hanging off. It looks like someone cut right through the neck but the head is still attached. I was extremely disgusted and immediately put this mouse back in the freezer. WHY ON EARTH WOULD A MOUSE, KILLED BY CO2, HAVE ITS HEAD SEVERED??? On the rodent pro website it says they use CO2. Can I believe this? Has anyone else had any issues? I am going to contact them. If someone wants me to post pics I will but right now Im too disgusted to grab my camera.
    -Jacob-
    0.1.0 Normal BP (Wubbie)
    1.0.0 Graziani Pastel (Cleo)
    0.1.0 Colombian BCI (Nala)
    0.0.1 Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula
    3 saltwater fish tanks

Thanks

Re: Rodent Pro...PLEASE READ!!!

I've had this happen many times with Rodent Pro and it's why I stopped ordering from them. They say it has to do with the rats coming in contact with the dry ice. Not sure but after a few times I switched to Big Cheese. They are one of the best out there. I also use Mice Direct and have had a couple good experiences with them.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

To be honest when I see an F/T with bits missing I generally feel the broke off after freezing - we used to fill the freezer with fresh killed rodents and by the time you reached the bottom there were usually a few paws and the occasional head.

It was caused by us rummaging in the freezer to count them out and pulling and shoving at the entangled ones.

Just an alternative explanation.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Not to jump on the anti-RP train, but I haven't been too satisfied with them either. I get rats covered in poop/pee and on my 2nd to last order half of the "small" rats were mid 40 grams (they say 50+ on their site) and about half the "weans" were glorified rat pups.

I'm going to check out BCR next time.

JonV

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

To be honest when I see an F/T with bits missing I generally feel the broke off after freezing - we used to fill the freezer with fresh killed rodents and by the time you reached the bottom there were usually a few paws and the occasional head.

It was caused by us rummaging in the freezer to count them out and pulling and shoving at the entangled ones.

Just an alternative explanation.

dr del
    Did it look like the head was sliced clean though? This is a clean slice. What your saying is most likely what happened though.
    Last edited by slither9192; 06-16-2008 at 10:34 PM.
    -Jacob-
    0.1.0 Normal BP (Wubbie)
    1.0.0 Graziani Pastel (Cleo)
    0.1.0 Colombian BCI (Nala)
    0.0.1 Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula
    3 saltwater fish tanks

Thanks

Maybe pics should be posted.
    1.0.0 Normal Ball Python, 0.1.0 Albino Ball Python, 1.0.0 Spider Ball Python, 0.1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 1.0.0 Sorong Type Green Tree Python, 0.1.0 Green Iguana, 1.0.0 Whites Tree Frog,

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Or experiments carried out - who wants to volunteer to snap the heads off a hundred frozen mice?

I would but I've got a bone in me leg.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

I deal with frozen rodents on a daily basis having several freezers with thousands of packaged rodents in each freezer. While moving packs around, they sometimes get a little banged up and if a rodents head gets hit at the right angle, it will break off and look as if it were cut. This also happens sometimes while separating rodents if they got stuck together.

Thanks

i'm completely happy with RP... just thought i'd throw that out there. i hear people complain about their shipping costs and how they do it, but i just placed a very small order and the shipping was still less than any other place, even though other places claim to use a smaller shipping box to fit your order and save costs... mice direct and big cheese were going to cost about 5% more for the product and 15-20% more for the shipping.

anyway, i seriously doubt that RP euthanizes their mice by lopping their heads off.
    Colin Vestrand

long time keeper and breeder of carpet pythons and other snakes...

Thanks

When I worked in a pet store that sold frozen feeders it was my job to get the feeders for people. I grabbed one large rat by the tail and it being stuck to the other rats the tail just snapped clean off. another time the rats were so frozen together that i had to bang the bag on the side of the freezer and one rat snapped in half.

I stopped getting the feeders for people after that... I just found that to be a little much at that point in time lol.
    Jessica K

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast