Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,300

3 members and 3,297 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Threaded View

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

What does that mean? Herp abbreviations & acronyms

A lot of internet forums have lists of the terms, abbreviations, and acronyms that are commonly used on the site but aren't general knowledge. BP.net didn't have one (that I could find at least), and I do see the questions asked a lot, so I thought it might be useful. I started a list a few weeks ago, and added to it every time I noticed something come up, but I'm sure there is plenty more that could be added and/or the definitions improved. I focused on abbreviations and acronyms for now.

A note about the breeders I included: they weren't picked because I thought they were the biggest or best. I choose them because they are commonly abbreviated, and because they are used as part of the names of certain morphs, and the combination can make it confusing. If I had thought of other breeders that fit that (or had a similar reason I thought they belonged here), I would have included them too.

1.2.3 (or any similar group of numbers & decimal points) – a way of representing the number of males (first number) and females (second number) and unsexed animals (third number, if there is a third) in a group. 1.2.3 means 1 male, 2 females, 3 unsexed. 4.2 means 4 males and 2 females.
    Afrock - african rock python
    amel - short for amelanistic (lack of black pigment)
    anery - short for anerythristic (lack of red pigment)
    ASF or ASFR - African soft furred rat
    ATB – amazon tree boa
    BCC - Boa Constrictor constrictor - red tailed boa
    BCI - Boa Constrictor imperator - common boa, although also sometimes called a red tailed boa
    BCL - Boa Constrictor Longicauda - Commonly refered to as Peruvian Long-tailed Boa or "Longi"
    BCO - Boa Constrictor occidenalis - Argentine boa
    beardie - bearded dragon (Pogona vitticeps)
    BEL - black eyed leucistic or blue eyed leucistic
    BHB - Brian Barczyk - Large breeder based in Michigan
    BOI - Board of Inquiry - A board for researching, and posting experiences with, different people in the herping buisiness. http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...splay.php?f=13
    BP - ball python
    BRB - Brazilian rainbow boa
    BTS - blue tongued skink
    BWT - Black & White Tegu
    CBB - captive bred & born
    CH - captive hatched, from eggs that were either collected in the wild or from eggs from a WC female who was gravid when captured
    co-dom - short for co-dominant, a genetic term meaning a trait which is the result of 2 equally dominant traits both being visible. A popular example is roan cattle which have a red gene and a white gene and have both red & white hairs. Curiously, most of the BP traits which are commonly referred to as co-dom are technically incomplete dominant traits, which is when 2 equally dominant traits blend together, such as pink flowers which have red gene and a white gene
    CHE - ceramic heat emitter
    Cloaca - The rear opening in which waste is passed and breeding is conducted - aka "vent"
    dinker - Something of interest, to breed and prove out
    DIY - Do It Yourself
    Dum's - Dumeril's Boa (Acrantophis Dumerili) One of the ground dwelling boas from Madagascar.
    DUW - Dial-Up Warning...referring to a thread with lots of pictures that may be slow to load
    ETB – emerald tree boa
    fauna - faunaclassifieds.com
    f/t - frozen/thawed - refers to rodents or other prey items which are humanely killed, then frozen for storage, then thawed and warmed up to body temperature before feeding
    FWC - False Water Cobra
    GMHS-Giant Malagasy Hognose Snake
    GTP - green tree python
    het - short for heterozygous, a genetic term meaning having 1 each of 2 different genes. Often used to refer to an animal that is known to carry a recessive gene but does not display the recessive trait
    IBD - inclusion body disease - untreatable disease which can affect boids (boas and pythons)
    JCP - jungle carpet python
    KS or KS.com - Refers to the classifieds section of Kingsnake.com
    KSB - kenyan sand boa
    Leo - Leopard Gecko
    LFS – local fish store
    LPS – local pet store
    LTC - long term captive
    Lucy - short for leucistic
    MBD - metabolic bone disease - usually in the context of lizards or turtles, and usually caused by calcium deficiency or lack of UV light exposure
    MBK - mexican black king snake
    Mojo - short for mojave, a BP morph
    NERD - New England Reptile Distributor, a major snake breeding facility, owned & operated by Kevin McCurley. Also used to refer to a particular strain developed at NERD, such as NERD pastels
    OP - "Original poster" - The writer of the first post of a new thread
    PAM - Provent-A-Mite - a brand name of mite treatment which is widely recommended as being the most effective and safest way to treat snake mites.
    PEW - pink eyed white - in rodents, your typical albino with pinkish eyes. See also REW, sometimes used interchangeably
    pied - short for piebald, a ball python morph with patches of white scales
    p/k - pre-killed - refers to rodents or any prey item that has been killed before offering it to the snake, most often it refers to a freshly killed prey item to distinguish from f/t
    POG - pastel orange ghost, a BP combo morph
    RBI - Reptile Basics, Inc
    RDR - Ralph Davis Reptiles
    RES - red eared slider (turtle)
    RETF - red eyed tree frog
    REW - ruby eyed white or red eyed white - in rodents, an albino with reddish eyes. See also PEW, sometimes used interchangeably
    RHP – radiant heat panel
    RI - respiratory infection
    RTB - red tailed boa
    SPOG - super-pastel orange ghost, a BP combo morph
    STP - Short Tailed Python
    SVL - snout-to-vent length
    T - Tarantula
    t-stat - Thermostat - a device to automatically regulate the temperature of a heating unit
    tic - short for Reticulated Python - aka "retic"
    TSK – The Snake Keeper, a major snake breeding facility, owned & operated by Dan and Colette Sutherland. Also used to refer to a particular strain developed at TSK, such as TSK axanthics
    URI - upper respiratory infection
    USARK - United States Association of Reptile Keepers - very influential association in the politics of keeping our reptiles
    UTH - under tank heater or under tub heater
    UV - short for ultraviolet; spectrum of light required for vitamin D production in diurnal lizards and turtles
    VBB - Vietnamese Blue Beauty ratsnake
    vent - The rear opening in which waste is passed and breeding is conducted - aka "cloaca"
    VPI - Vida Preciosa International, a major snake breeding facility, owned & operated by Dave & Tracy Barker. Also used to refer to a particular strain developed at VPI, such as VPI axanthics
    WC - wild caught
    WHS-Western Hognose Snake
    WLP White Lipped Python
    Last edited by JLC; 09-02-2010 at 11:47 AM. Reason: updating
    Casey

2. The Following 41 Users Say Thank You to kc261 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

1stpalindrone (02-16-2011),Anya (05-22-2011),B.P.'s 4me (11-10-2017),Casillas_Brian (01-07-2012),cmack91 (10-05-2011),Crazy4Herps (11-20-2008),DaveR (11-08-2009),DooLittle (02-20-2012),DragonCookie (07-14-2017),FatBoy (11-10-2008),Foschi Exotic Serpents (03-24-2017),Heidi (05-27-2012),Holbeird (01-16-2009),iLikeSneks (01-15-2017),JoeFro (09-24-2013),jonnydanger (03-02-2010),Maru (02-05-2019),mcd (12-17-2008),meowmeowkazoo (09-14-2011),Michi (08-17-2012),MJ_Bosley (07-21-2017),MSG-KB (03-01-2012),Munizfire (09-22-2011),NicolasWSOP (01-31-2009),onlinegenerericmeds (01-17-2020),Paul S (01-18-2015),pollardra06 (11-28-2009),pythontricker (10-22-2009),Queenofredlions (05-11-2018),Sacstate707 (10-04-2012),ScalySenua (01-26-2019),SpencerShanks (07-21-2010),TCampanaro (05-31-2016),TheSnakeGuy (09-24-2012),Thor26 (12-01-2008),TigerLilly02 (10-20-2008),volcom (07-17-2010),Whoodnballs (02-27-2010),wolfpack (01-02-2014),yesiwantacookie (06-06-2018),zamora (11-06-2013)