Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,277

2 members and 3,275 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Rat Breeding Process

Quote Originally Posted by ThyTempest View Post
    1) Everyone is always saying that rats, mice, etc are very social animals and dont do as well alone. With this strategy, the breeding male and female are alone with their own enclosure for at least a few weeks at a time. Do you think this is going to be a problem, and if so how do I fix it without causing more issues.
    There is no good way to go about this. While one male is breeding, the other is alone. Might as well get 2 females and 2 males.

Breed both females at the same time. One with each male. After 3 weeks, remove the males, put them into their own tub.

So,
    2 tubs for nursing mothers,
    1 LARGE tub for males (they need space),
    2 tubs for weaners separated by sex. (If your growing them at all)

Might as well build a rack!!

2) Reintroducing the breeding pair after their separated. I have heard this isnt too much of an issue in rats, I just want to make sure the tendency is that things go smoothly. I know this wont be a for sure, but knowing that most people dont have a problem with this would easy my nerves.

Thanks for all of the help.
    They'll be fine.

Now, you'll have close to 30 rats after the first litter... are you CO2ing what you need for months for the one snake? If so, I would recommend freezing enough rodents for 4 months, any longer and the FT tend to get nasty.

They should be CO2'd when they are weaned, so you really don't even need the 2 weaner tubs unless your growing them up for larger snakes.

Thanks

I only have one bp right now. My girlfriend and I have talked about getting another, but that is months away, if not a year or more. Unless I can find a job for the summer, I really dont have any money to put a rack together,and it would be a major pain in the ass to move up to the third floor when we move this fall. I am going to be putting together a co2 chamber soon, using a co2 canister. I have to spend about 20 bucks for some parts, but after that, a fill for my tank is less than 3 or 4 dollars, and will probably last me a year or so for rodent euthanasia.

I already have 3 tubs set up, 2 of which are occupied with mice. I would like to use a rack in the future, but I just dont have the money to put down on it right now, though I could look into make one small scale. What tubs are typically used for rats? I would imagine kitter litter pans would be ok, but I dont know how deep they would be. Right now the tubs I am using vary from about 18 inches to 2 feet long, and about a foot wide and 18 inches high.

Minimizing the amount of space would be great, which I think will primarily come from either using smaller(shorter) tubs, or maybe scraping up some money to build a small rack?

Any suggestions?

Also, I offered a frozen thawed via the zombie dance for about 10 minutes last night. She was interested, but just didnt take it. My arm got so tired I left it inside her enclosure for another 5 minutes alone and still nothing. I took it out and offered a live and it was dead in about a minute. I am still hopeful, and the f/t was pretty small for her, so that didnt help the cause either.
    -Austin
    0.8 Normal 1.0 Pastel 0.0.1 Spider
    1.1 Het Kahl BCI-08's-FS/T
    1.0 Hypo Citrus Beardie (Citrón)
    0.1 Citrus Beardie (Tang)
    0.0.1 Rose Hair Tarantula (Rose)
    0.1 Himalayan Cat (Meredith)
    0.2 Persian Cats (Madison and Myrtle)
    1.0 Shih-Tzu (Gizmo) 0.1 Lhasa-Apso (Lana)
    Rats, ASF's, Turks & Dubias.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThyTempest View Post
    really dont have any money to put a rack together,and it would be a major pain in the ass to move up to the third floor when we move this fall.
    I just built a rack and its not very expensive at all. If you can't afford it now perhaps in the future you will look into it. The wood involved is cheap to save money you could buy 2x4's and cut them in half to make your own 2x2's.

I also put together a watering system for about $40. In the beginning water bottles will work fine.

If you do build a rack you want tubs that not too deep because the idea is you put the food on top and they eat it through the hardware cloth.. Or you could do like me and get a deep tub but build a platform inside they can climb up to get the food/water.
    apparently you can find some cement mixing tubs at lowes that are prefect and cheap. I am in canada and the lowes here doesn't have them

If your only building 4 enclosures the rack will be small and easier to move than a dresser.

Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12