Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,316

4 members and 3,312 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Tribbies"

Thanks

Re: "Tribbies"

That's a good idea. I'll make sure to do that.

I have BIG news (well, for me anyway). I actually HELD the lizard today. I was very nervous at first, and shaking a little bit, but as I stood there and held her and she just looked at me and then turned away and sat there, I calmed down. I was able to stroke her and pick her up and move her to my other hand. That's a BIG - strike that, HUGE step for me. When I'd stopped shaking I told the employee that I'd like to put her back, so she let me do it myself. I set her down on the ground gently and she was fine - just sat there for a moment. But then she took off like a rocket and made me jump and start shaking again. I laughed about it though. I'm making progress.

The employee there is always very nice and helpful and she's become somewhat of a friend. She understands my fear and has been taking a lot of time out to help me get over it. She said I was doing great, and that even she was proud of me. -lol-

I bought most everything for her habitat today so I'll probably have some pictures later on tonight.

Thanks

Yet another update (and probably the final one before I actually bring the lizard home and have pictures for everyone!)

I have been diligently researching and networking, trying to gather as much info as possible. I have been in contact with Dr. Wolfgang Wuster, a noted herpetoculturist known for his work with venomous snakes. He spent a great deal of time on the island these lizards are native to, and took several amazing photographs of the animals in their natural habitat. He has written an interesting article for The Herpetological Journal which is put out by the British Herpetological Society. It gave some information on the finding of the crocodile skink. I've also been corresponding with Mark O'Shea - a famous herpetoculturist in the UK. He is the author of "Boas and Pythons of the World" along with Dave and Tracy Barker. He also has been to the island of Papua New Guinea to study the lizards, and is known for his work with venomous snakes. He has access to a group of 10 tribolonotus and the facility has recently hatched out one baby trib. It's wonderful to be able to speak with such knowledgeable people, and they've both been very kind.

If anyone here is interested in this species, I'd be more than happy to share my findings with you. I've taken a serious interest in the species and want to get the word out.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

So did you get a copy of his article or pictures?

Don't post them without permission obviously but I would love to see them if he was ok with sharing. And if he would let them be posted on the site that would be amazing.

With their low temp requirements I wonder what temp you would incubate at.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

He has sent me some PDFs, but thus far I am unable to open them. I need to forward them to another computer, and that should do it.

A few of his photos are already published online for the general public. I'll link to them here, just *note to everyone: Don't re-post them without linking to the original source.* I believe that he does sell these photos, so I don't want to cause him to lose money in any way; especially when he's been so helpful. He's also pointed me in the direction of the Dallas Zoo. Apparently the curator there knows a significant amount about the species, and that facility has had more success breeding the animals than anywhere else that currently houses them. I've sent him an e-mail as well, but he's supposedly out on field research until today. I expect it'll be several days before I hear back from him.

As for incubation, I believe it's recommended to incubate at about 82F. I'd have to go back and double-check that number. But the females are great parents, and will actually move the egg (They only lay one at a time) around to regulate its temperature. Even the males will not harm the egg or the baby once it hatches. They're absolutely amazing.

Photos: (These photos were taken by Dr. Wolfgang Wuster, not Mark O'Shea, and they were taken in Papua New Guinea.)
    http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...0000+1005+0165

http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...0000+1005+0167

http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...0000+1005+0168

http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...0000+1005+0169

This next photo was taken by Paddy Ryan, as the copyright suggests. I have sent an e-mail asking about the animal in the photo, but have not received a response. It's still my favorite photo, though.
    http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...0000+1206+0965

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

They are amazing pre-historic looking little guys! I don't expect that I'll want to own one anytime soon, but keep posting info, because I love to learn. I've been following this thread since you started it.

I also think it is wonderful that you are facing your fear head-on. Good job!
    Casey

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Is this the O'Shea who had/has a show on TV?

Thanks

Yes, the very same.

Thanks

Well, the little girl (adult, actually. She's of breeding age) is finally home. It must have taken me twenty minutes to work up the nerve to pick her up. I'd stick my hand in, pull it out. Hover over her, pull it out. I finally decided I might try slowly tipping her travel container and allowing her to walk into the new enclosure. That would have been great, except she didn't want to move. So no matter how slowly I tipped, her back end started going over her front end. She ended up with her face smooshed against the side, and her tail up over her head. Still she wouldn't move. So I tipped her back down, and finally said, "Ok, I can do this. I'm making her miserable. This is for her sake, and mine." She squirmed a little once I picked her up, but at that point I didn't want to drop and hurt her so even though so was squirming and making me REALLY nervous, I didn't let go. I gently set her down in her enclosure, snapped a final picture, and that was all she wrote.

The good news is, I don't have to handle her for another week now because she needs to settle in. I have her tank near my side of the bed so that I can watch her while I go to sleep. Hopefully, just being near her and watching her do whatever it is she likes to do will calm me down. It's so odd because once I have her in my hand, it's not a big deal. But looking down at her, and seeing that lizard outline just makes me start shaking.

I SHALL OVERCOME!

And now, the pictures:

In her travel carrier:

In the new enclosure:

(Notice the shavings on her head from where I tried to tip her out. )

If anybody has words of encouragement, they'd be greatly appreciated at this point.

Thanks

In case anyone is interested I found this.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FWxps8_7lmY

Thanks

Yes, I've seen that video before. His set-up is nice, but I'm surprised they have laid so many eggs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast