Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,278

2 members and 3,276 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Tiger Python!! What have I done???

All my life I've had a deep interest for snakes. Finally I have got myself one but I realize that I actually have no idea what I am doing. I went out for a Brazilian Rainbow Boa and came back with a Tiger Python. The seller told me I'd do fine with this one. I wonder... because it was yesturday that I bought it and he's already flown at me once. I'm not scared to be bitten but I'd rather it not happen of course. I guess I just wish I knew more about the 'personality' of this particular snake... I've checked internet about it but I'm having trouble finding information on the snake. Is there anyone who can tell me about a good website for more better information.

It's 8 months old and I'd say about 75cm...
    Last edited by Snikster; 06-14-2008 at 07:36 AM. Reason: wrong spelling

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Tiger Python!! What have I done???

Are you from the United Kingdom or Europe? The Tiger Python is a species of Asian Rock Python. Its known throughout the USA and other area's as the Burmese Python, Burm, or Burmese Rock Python. It's one of the largest snakes in the world, with a record of 27.5' long, and well over 400lbs. Scientific name is Python molurus bivittatus; a subspecies of the Indian Python Python molurus molurus.

If you do some googling for Burmese Python, or Python m. bivittatus, you should bring up a wealth of information.

As for aggressiveness, this species is flighty and nippy as a baby....but they're food for about anything and everything that will predate on them at that size. They do have a rapid growth though, as far as boids go, growing in excess of 6-8' long by their first year. Good luck
    Last edited by Nate; 06-15-2008 at 01:30 PM. Reason: correcting italics ;)

Thanks

They bought one of the largest snakes in the world on impulse? If one is very wealthy and will have no problem devoting a room to this animal in the future...well....I won't comment.

I will risk being flamed by saying this, but snakes that large are a huge responsibility and I can see why requiring permits may be a good idea. I hate to think of what happens to many of these animals as they get older. Well we know what happens to them in Florida.

Thanks

http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....warticle&id=16

that should help you out alot too

and if you just got em home give it a few days of alone time to get used to its new home b4 you try to hold em

good luck and welcome to a whole new world
    "So far this is the oldest that I've been"
    'If you can make it through the nite, there's a brighter day'
    "I'm out the game, put the 2nd string in."
    "live with the pain and keep trying or die knowing you never gave anything a chance"
    "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive"
    "No one can take away your dreams"

People for the Ethical Treatment of Agriculture

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya610 View Post
    I will risk being flamed by saying this, but snakes that large are a huge responsibility and I can see why requiring permits may be a good idea. I hate to think of what happens to many of these animals as they get older. Well we know what happens to them in Florida.
    Honestly, permits are no way to go about it by any means....ANY means. As for commenting on the animal and its growth in a keepers care, please do....explain. Explain your experience with the species as well As for the Florida comment; Keep it to yourself. You can blame the USFW, as well as the hurricanes for what happened in Florida...not just "immature/irrisponsible" keepers....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
    Honestly, permits are no way to go about it by any means....ANY means. As for commenting on the animal and its growth in a keepers care, please do....explain.
    I have a background in animal rescue. I do believe that anyone who breeds animals should be thinking about the home the animal will receive, particularly if they may require special care. I have seen far too many breeders sell large breed puppies to owners living in an apartment, with no dog owning experience, and those situations end very badly. And the breeders could care less because it is NOT their problem. A giant snake that will require 2 grown men to lift it, and will require a LOT of space, well they have special needs that should be considered too.

For me it is about the animal, first and foremost. Perhaps this was NOT an impulse buy? Perhaps the person that sold the snake had a long discussion with the purchaser regarding how this snake differs from a rainbow boa and what they should expect 10 years from now? Maybe the OP will explain. I maybe assuming to much, clarification will help. But the original post did not imply that the seller went into detail.
    Last edited by Sonya610; 06-14-2008 at 08:45 AM. Reason: clarification

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya610 View Post
    I have a background in animal rescue. I do believe that anyone who breeds animals should be thinking about the home the animal will receive, particularly if they may require special care. I have seen far too many breeders sell large breed puppies to owners living in an apartment, with no dog owning experience, and those situations end very badly. And the breeders could care less because it is NOT their problem. A giant snake that will require 2 grown men to lift it, and will require a LOT of space, well they have special needs that should be considered too.

For me it is about the animal, first and foremost.
    That right there says it, clearly defined. It is not up to the breeder to decide if the customer is capable of caring for the animal. It is up to the customer to decide, hands down.

As for special needs, every animal has special/different needs and care requirements from one another. If you want to lecture me on that, of all people...please, I'm all ears....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
    It is not up to the breeder to decide if the customer is capable of caring for the animal. It is up to the customer to decide, hands down.
    Apparently no further discussion is needed, you made your viewpoint very very clear.

Edit -- and if the breeder does NOT explain what to expect, well buyer beware huh?
    Last edited by Sonya610; 06-14-2008 at 08:52 AM. Reason: clarification

Thanks

While I don't advocate the government issuing permits for anything because all that does is put money in government coffers for nothing in return, I definitely think that any responsible breeder of any type of animal would and should make an effort to see that all potential buyers understand what they are getting into and know how to give proper care as well as have the means to give it. Anyone that just considers the ownership of animals that they are selling to be no different than having ownership of a coffee pot really shouldn't be placing animals at all.
    Do not resuscitate

Thanks

Dsirkle you are right of course, the government can not be relied upon to exercise common sense. I guess I thought of it more from the standpoint that any requirement would consider one to THINK before they committed to something as important as a 20 year committment to a 250 lb snake. In an ideal world the breeders would have empathy for the animals they sold, and they would screen/educate buyers.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast