Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,383

3 members and 3,380 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Update on Vegas

Thanks

Update on Vegas

Sorry, I have no pictures.

But I wanted to give an update on Vegas, my milksnake, I've had her for about 2 1/2 months now.
    She has gained 8 g's since I purchased her, from 15 g's to almost 23 g's, she still has the same length approximately, about 16 in., I think it's safe to say she is now free of mites, she was so close to having a perfect shed during her last shed (any suggestions?), and she has been getting used to handling. Before she would musk every time and constantly try to wriggle away and jump out of my hands, now she rarely musks, and only is a little surprised to be picked up and relaxes once she realizes she's in my hands.

With all the positive things occurring, there just has to be a negative... I have been having trouble keeping her temperatures down recently, with the scorching summer heat, our apartment in the 3rd floor of a tin roofed house without air conditioning, has been making her cage up to 90 degrees in the worst of times. I do have a window A/C unit, but it's so expensive to run all the time.
    I have used frozen water bottles, and set them in the cage, but I wasn't sure if that was safe or not. Can this harm the snake at all?
    Her cage has been around 80-85 normally, but I have a feeling it will only get worse as the summer continues.
    I would greatly appreciate any advice I could receive
    Evan
    0.0.1 Sinaloan Milk Snake (Vegas)
    0.0.1 Colombian Boa Constrictor (Ticuna)
    Feel free to correct me on my grammar.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Re: Update on Vegas

90 is ok for her.

The ice will help though so keep using it.

Also place her on the floor, maybe in your bathroom if it's tile or the kitchen it that is. That will also help keep the temp down.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

I was wondering when you were going to post an update on that snake.

I was also going to suggest putting it on the tile, but someone beat me to it. The frozen water bottles are a good idea, I would just try to wedge it between two rocks or something. You wouldn't want it to roll over your tiny snake.

If things get too too hot, you could always set up a tiny fan in the area near the tank/tub. Don't blow the air directly onto the enclosure, but nearby - just to get the air circulating a little more. An occasional misting might help also.

But, I don't think you'll need to go to those extremes at all since 90 is within the acceptable temperature range.

You gotta get some pictures up!

Thanks

Thanks for the advice wilomn and Mindibun. There's not really room in the bathroom, and I don't think guests would feel comfortable using it with a snake it there. It's a good idea, but it's not really functional for me right now.

I'm glad to know that the ice is a safe way to go about cooling off the cage, I will move her cage from the top of my dresser to the floor too, a small change in elevation might make a difference, if that's what you were suggesting wilomn.

I know it has been a while, I wasn't really thinking that there was anything to update, she has only gotten fatter
    ...and I know, pics would be nice... I don't have a digital camera though... I'll probably get someone to take pictures of Vegas if they bring a camera over

Thanks again
    Evan
    0.0.1 Sinaloan Milk Snake (Vegas)
    0.0.1 Colombian Boa Constrictor (Ticuna)
    Feel free to correct me on my grammar.