Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,267

1 members and 3,266 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Re: I'm confused *thermostat*

I move thermometers from tub to tub to test accuracy.

Heat rope is probably the most evenly heated for multiple racks beacause the temp is continuous throughout the entire rope.
    They are also very easy to install.

I use both flexx and rope in different racks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Re: I'm confused *thermostat*

Quote Originally Posted by Desert View Post
    Technically, your concerns are correct. Short of controlling every single enclosure seperately with its own local heat tape and controller, it is impossible to achieve 'precise' temperature uniformity. What determines the temperature of any given segment along a length of heat tape is the speed at which heat leaves that portion of the strip. Physical conditions are inherently nonuniform in rack designs such as these. Thus, everyone settles for temperatures that hopefully are within an acceptable range on racks like the unit in the link you posted.
    This is probably the most well written response to the OP's question. If you are using 1 thremostat to run 30 enclosures (that's what we do), then you will get variations (typically from the top of the rack to the bottom). The reason for that is air will striate in any room that has a vertical dimension. So normally in a rack, with one thermostat heating that rack to one temperature, the bottom tub will be the coolest, and the tiop tub will be the warmest.

What we have done is to watch our snakes, and put the snakes that typically spend most of their time on the cool side in the lower tubs. You will find that snakes are individuals, and some prefer to be cooler than others. The ones that spend most of their time on the hot spot, go in the top tubs. This has worked well for us, and seems to allow the snakes to have the slightly different environment that suits their wants and needs.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12