Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,224

2 members and 3,222 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,130
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Any Engineers here?

Does anyone here have a job as an engineer? Or even better, chemical engineer? I was wondering, what kinds of things do you do at your job on a daily basis? Do you work at a plant or other sort of company? I'm in college and it's surprisingly hard to find out this type of information.

Also, do you use the things you learned in undergrad classes in your job, or did they teach you everything when you got there?

I understand that there are lots of different kinds of engineering jobs, but hey, give it a shot?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Any Engineers here?

I'm a mechanical engineer
    Augie 1.0.0 Lemon Pastel BP
    Rio 1.0.0 South Brazilian BCA
    Blaze 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fishmommy View Post
    I'm a mechanical engineer
    Err... got anything else to say about it?

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Structural Engineer

I sit in fornt of a computer playing on BP.net all day
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Civil EIT. One year left until I can take my PE exam and legally be able to call myself a Civil Engineer.

I do not use half of what I learned in college at my job. But then again, I learn something everyday at work. In college I got a very broad background, but my work is only focused in several areas. Right now, I work mainly on roadway jobs (i.e. geometrics, drainage design, etc.).

If you want to find out more about the profession you are getting into, I would suggest joining any of the college engineering societies or go to actual professional society meetings. I went to both and got a pretty good idea of what I would be doing.....not to mention, those meetings (especially professional level meetings) are great for networking and potential employers. Contact the president of the local professional chapter before you go to a meeting to let them know you are going to attend. Once you get there, introduce yourself to the person you contacted. Generally, they will introduce you to people or even make an announcement concerning your attendance at the beginning of the meeting. Great stuff and very beneficial.

I have a buddy that is a chemical engineer. I think he designs chemical plants or something similar. Interesting stuff.....BIG BUCKS $$$....ha ha.

Engineering is a great profession and very much in demand. Good luck.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

I'm not an engineer, but I'm married to a man with a chemical engineer undergrad degree. He went on to get his masters in Pulp and Paper something or other, and works in the paper industry as an enviromental manager. He works to make sure that the company stays in compliance with it's permits, troubleshoots problems with the equipment, manages landfills, manages the lab and staff that runs their tests, stack tests. Heck he even helped fight an equipment fire a while back. He's even trained as a first responder.... oh good heavens the list goes on and on.

Does that help any?
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by icygirl View Post
    Does anyone here have a job as an engineer? Or even better, chemical engineer? I was wondering, what kinds of things do you do at your job on a daily basis? Do you work at a plant or other sort of company? I'm in college and it's surprisingly hard to find out this type of information.

Also, do you use the things you learned in undergrad classes in your job, or did they teach you everything when you got there?

I understand that there are lots of different kinds of engineering jobs, but hey, give it a shot?
    Start looking into companies like Dow Chemical and other large chemical companies. The field is growing and there are a TON of opportunities for co-oping, interning or hiring after completing a degree.

Thanks

Software Engineer here.

If we are busy it's alot of work....mostly at a computer desk
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jdconstriction
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/jdconstriction
    Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/jdconstriction

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daniel1983 View Post
    Civil EIT. One year left until I can take my PE exam and legally be able to call myself a Civil Engineer.

I do not use half of what I learned in college at my job. But then again, I learn something everyday at work. In college I got a very broad background, but my work is only focused in several areas. Right now, I work mainly on roadway jobs (i.e. geometrics, drainage design, etc.).

If you want to find out more about the profession you are getting into, I would suggest joining any of the college engineering societies or go to actual professional society meetings. I went to both and got a pretty good idea of what I would be doing.....not to mention, those meetings (especially professional level meetings) are great for networking and potential employers. Contact the president of the local professional chapter before you go to a meeting to let them know you are going to attend. Once you get there, introduce yourself to the person you contacted. Generally, they will introduce you to people or even make an announcement concerning your attendance at the beginning of the meeting. Great stuff and very beneficial.

I have a buddy that is a chemical engineer. I think he designs chemical plants or something similar. Interesting stuff.....BIG BUCKS $$$....ha ha.

Engineering is a great profession and very much in demand. Good luck.
    I admit it, I quit my chemE major to go pre-vet. Now I am rethinking it a bit, and maybe I would change my major back and graduate in 5 years. I go to a public school and it WOULD be financially feasible, in fact much cheaper than 4 years of vet school.

I'm going to use this summer to make up my mind. So a big THANKS to everyone who has input.

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    Start looking into companies like Dow Chemical and other large chemical companies. The field is growing and there are a TON of opportunities for co-oping, interning or hiring after completing a degree.
    I was considering going on a tour of a plant this summer. A friend of mine is interning at a plastics company, and he said the R&D room is possibly the coolest thing he's seen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freakie_frog View Post
    Structural Engineer

I sit in fornt of a computer playing on BP.net all day
    That's got to be the best job ever!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast