Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,931

2 members and 2,929 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Another ignorant person

My moms neighbor lost her cat and has tried searching, offering rewards and even using tracking dogs to locate it with no luck. So finally when she talked to the police the ignorant police officer told her that he thought kids were stealing cats in the area to feed to their snakes. I talked to her and explained to her that wasn't the case.
    0.0.1 (Boa constrictor) Columbian Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 (Python brongersmai) Blood Python

Thanks

Re: Another ignorant person

Quote Originally Posted by wilox View Post
    My moms neighbor lost her cat and has tried searching, offering rewards and even using tracking dogs to locate it with no luck. So finally when she talked to the police the ignorant police officer told her that he thought kids were stealing cats in the area to feed to their snakes. I talked to her and explained to her that wasn't the case.
    Ask your neighbor, politely, if she could please tell you the officers name. Regardless if you can get it or not, go to the station and schedule an appointment with the supervisor, or, to a lesser extent, write a letter. Ask if stealing neighborhood pets to feed pet snakes is a common occurrence, and, on average, how many cases of this they deal with on a monthly basis. Ask if it happens to such an extent that it has become policy to inform missing-pet owners that their beloved animals might have been stolen to feed to snakes.

Afterwards, be prepared to offer some facts about snakes, using the ball-python as an example, if you like. For example; that they imprint on their food and will typically refuse anything out of their standard diet - not to mention that a cat could easily kill a BP!

Have some printed material with you to leave, such as the BP care sheet, which will explain the care and nature of ownership of these animals.

Be as polite and civil as you can. Impress upon him/her that your motivating concern is that misinformation and lack of education about these animals can cause a panic in the community which can manifest in a backlash against these innocent animals, and by extension, their owners. To affirm this point, I suggest you print out (or at least mention) the recently discussed newspaper article about the ball-python that got nailed to a telephone pole and explain that misinformation about our pets perpetrates a culture of undue fear, anxiety and cruelty - not only to the animals, but to those who responsibly care for them.

I think its great that you were able to speak with your neighbor. However, I also feel that it is important to nip the problem at its source. Who knows what other misconceptions this police officer is spreading about reptile ownership? Today he says we steal pets to feed our snakes, tomorrow he might be saying we take kids, too. Who knows? Sigh.

On a closing note, not all cops are like that. One of my buddies is a cop who, at one point, maintained a personal collection of over 250 reptiles - mostly snakes.

PS: I do remember reading about an escaped python that ate a ladies cat, but when interviewed, the lady didn't blame the snake. I've yet to hear a substantiated story of people stealing pets to feed snakes.
    Last edited by NightLad; 06-10-2008 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Typo Exorcism. The power of Websters compels you!
    This above all: to thine own self be true,
    And it must follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man.

Thanks

Great comment and I have a few cop friends also that is why I said ignorant person in the title. I do plan on going to that police station and like you said try to educate them on reptiles and especially snakes. I also agree with you on the civil part as we as reptile owners need to come off as responsible and upstanding citizens to break the misconception that people have.

Thanks

i wouldnt make to much of a huge deal outa it...
    true, go up there and talk to them, but DONT be disrespectful at all.

who knows, maybe some kids were stealin cats to do that... im not saying the cop wasnt rude, but there are some jacked up people in this world, and to be honest, it wouldnt surprise me...
    2.0 Ball Pythons
    0.1 Red Tail Boas
    1.4 Rabbits
    0.1 German Shepherd

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChicaPiton519 View Post
    i wouldnt make to much of a huge deal outa it...
    true, go up there and talk to them, but DONT be disrespectful at all.

who knows, maybe some kids were stealin cats to do that... im not saying the cop wasnt rude, but there are some jacked up people in this world, and to be honest, it wouldnt surprise me...
    She's got a real good point. As much as you may want to inform them, if they see you being disrespectful in the slightest bit, you could end up on their "crap list". When my brother was arrested for literally no reason, our family lawyer informed us if we wanted to do anything about it, we better be prepared for the consequences. He stated that they would tag my brother's license plate and make "random" pull overs under "reasonable suspicion".

To each his own. IMO, it's not worth making a big deal out of it. Close-minded and ignorant people more than likely won't change.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    1.0 Hypo Columbian Red Tail Boa

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NightLad View Post
    PS: I do remember reading about an escaped python that ate a ladies cat, but when interviewed, the lady didn't blame the snake. I've yet to hear a substantiated story of people stealing pets to feed snakes.
    I believe the article you are thinking of involved a wild carpet python which had slithered into the woman's backyard in Australia.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Thanks

The good thing is I live in another state so I shouldnt be on there crap list