Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,939

1 members and 2,938 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Can I keep my BP in a closet with the door shut?

Just got a new ball python today. It's not a hatchling but it's still pretty small. Spent $150 for the snake, a stick on thermometer, a 10 gal tank, a nice locking top, a water dish, a bark hide, and the 50watt heat lamp/bulb. Right now his temp is reading about 84 degrees and he seems pretty active. Does everything sound ok with my setup?

Also I'm wondering if it's safe to keep him in a closet with the door shut for about 10 hours a day. I live in an apartment and need to keep it hidden. I'm just worried about whether it not it will have enough air to breathe. I could keep the door open, but the bright red light from the lamp makes it look like I'm growing pot or something. It's a big walk in closet with carpet floors.

Thanks

Re: Can I keep my BP in a closet with the door shut?

Quote Originally Posted by spaceturtle View Post
    Just got a new ball python today. It's not a hatchling but it's still pretty small. Spent $150 for the snake, a stick on thermometer, a 10 gal tank, a nice locking top, a water dish, a bark hide, and the 50watt heat lamp/bulb. Right now his temp is reading about 84 degrees and he seems pretty active. Does everything sound ok with my setup?

Also I'm wondering if it's safe to keep him in a closet with the door shut for about 10 hours a day. I live in an apartment and need to keep it hidden. I'm just worried about whether it not it will have enough air to breathe. I could keep the door open, but the bright red light from the lamp makes it look like I'm growing pot or something. It's a big walk in closet with carpet floors.

in his cage, right.....? Oh yeah he will be fine

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HALEN16 View Post
    in his cage, right.....? Oh yeah he will be fine
    Cool. Is my husbandry on point?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

First off congrats .Now ditch that junk stick on thermometer as it is not reading your temps.Those are for fish tanks that have water in them.If you are worried about the red light making it look like you are growing pot then buy a undertank heater .
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Does everything sound ok with my setup?

I would rethink your setup a bit.
    Take a look at this...
    http://ball-pythons.net/modules.php?...warticle&id=59

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

No see above comments
    Joe Haggard

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

theres always room for improvements...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lenastorms View Post
    I would rethink your setup a bit.
    Take a look at this...
    http://ball-pythons.net/modules.php?...warticle&id=59

Guy at the pet store was really opinionated. I originally just wanted to use an appropriately sized rubber tub with cut air holes, clips to lock the lid down, and an under tank heater with a hygrometer and thermo.

He's the one that convinced me I didn't need a hygrometer (told me to keep it dry and just soak before shedding), and that this temp guage was better than the other one I had picked out that said it was for reptiles. (it saved me money so I went with him.) He even told me to buy a heat rock and said an under tank heater made for reptiles was a bad idea. I didn't buy the rock even though my sister in law has used one successfully for 10 years. The guy was well meaning but seemed to have some out dated ideas on husbandry.

I'm not terribly worried about the temp guage. It does seem to work well enough so I'll probably leave it alone. I would like to buy an under tank heater though, and possibly get rid of the lamp once it gets bigger and ends up inside a tub.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Guy at the pet store was really opinionated. I originally just wanted to use an appropriately sized rubber tub with cut air holes, clips to lock the lid down, and an under tank heater with a hygrometer and thermo.

He's the one that convinced me I didn't need a hygrometer (told me to keep it dry and just soak before shedding), and that this temp guage was better than the other one I had picked out that said it was for reptiles. (it saved me money so I went with him.) He even told me to buy a heat rock and said an under tank heater made for reptiles was a bad idea. I didn't buy the rock even though my sister in law has used one successfully for 10 years. The guy was well meaning but seemed to have some out dated ideas on husbandry.

I'm not terribly worried about the temp guage. It does seem to work well enough so I'll probably leave it alone. I would like to buy an under tank heater though, and possibly get rid of the lamp once it gets bigger and ends up inside a tub.
    Get a digital, or two. Ideally one with probes.

If you get a UTH you need a way to control the temp since they can get up to 110+ I believe. You will want a thermometer with probes to measure the temp of the UTH. A Thermostat would be good for this.

Two hides wouldnt be a bad idea either, one on the cool side and one on the warm side.

Also your humidity needs to be about 60% all the time and bumped to 70%-80% when the snake is shedding.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

Guy at the pet store was really opinionated... I'm not terribly worried about the temp guage. It does seem to work well enough so I'll probably leave it alone. I would like to buy an under tank heater though, and possibly get rid of the lamp once it gets bigger and ends up inside a tub.
    One thing you learn after getting a bp is that "the guy" does not know anything about proper husbandry. But he does excel at selling you stuff you do not need.

Personally, I would read any threads on setting up your bp... lamps, stick on gauges, and log hides, no means of measuring humidity... might not seem like a big deal, but these are important things to address in regards to your husbandry.

Your snake needs belly heat (undertank heater), not dorsal heat (a lamp). It needs a thermal gradient with a hot and cool end. If if is in an open enclosure it needs to snug hides (not log hides). And it needs proper humidity. Those are the basics.

Good luck with him... and if he is in a closet, why not put him in a tub to begin with? Most people that keep snakes in tanks tend to do so as they want a nice display viv.

It is cheaper and is the best way to give your snake what it needs... which is proper husbandry (temps and humidity).

Bruce
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast