Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,912

0 members and 1,912 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

Muh first babies -not sure how it's coming along

Hey all!

So, I know there are an abundance of posts from people posting about their first clutch of eggs along with questions. I've been browsing through them and have learned a lot.

I have some questions that I haven't necessarily seen on any of them.

A friend of mine gave me her 2 beardies due to the fact she's about to have a child of her own and needed to make room for the baby. Upon receipt of the beardies, I was aware the female was pregnant, and I was provided with an incubator for the time that she finally laid her eggs.

Last night she laid her eggs. I took the eggs out of the dirt and marked an X on them. They were very leathery looking and pretty delicate. The smallest pressure on them and the egg would sort of dent in. For example, writing the X made the top push in a tad, but not so bad that it could harm the egg or anything. I'm bringin this up to make sure this is the right consistancy for an egg. I've read that the fertile ones tend to be more leathery, and infertile tend to be harder. I wouldn't consider these hard.

The incubator she gave me looks from the outside like a Hovabator based on pictures I've found on google, however, my question is - the inside of the incubator has a raised center platform and the edge is an indented groove. The vermaculite goes inside this groove and the eggs are to be spaced evenly throughout the edge.

I put a small plate of water on the raised platform in the center and have covered the incubator with a temp/humidity gauge leading into it.

From what I've read, it seems that people are putting the eggs in smaller containers within the incubator. Mine isn't set up like that. The eggs are in this groove and that's it. Does this sound ok? Or is this a weird kind of incubator?

I know when I was uncovering the eggs 1 was open already and the yolk was in the dirt, and one other is pretty shriveled looking, and where I marked the X there is a yellow spot now. The other 25 look relatively healthy and white and just a slight bit wrinkly, but nothing extreme.

My main concern is the incubator though and if I should have them in smaller containers inside the incubator, or if anyone is aware of this kind of incubator and confirm it is ok.

Mama is doing well and upon putting her mouth up to running water she gulped up and hydrated herself. Also feasted on a nice salad.

Here's some pics. I have a humidity issue I believe and need suggestions. You guys have helped me tremendously with my ball python (who finally ate after almost 3 months yay!)

These two are stuck together btw.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Re: Muh first babies -not sure how it's coming along

They should be fine in the larger enclosure as lons as it stays humid and doesnt dry out. It should be as air tight as possible thats why many use smaller tubs, it makes it easier to control humidity. They wont need much air until they are hatching.