Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,236

1 members and 3,235 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Appearance questions

I'm new to snakes, and i just got my first snake yesterday. I'm not realy sure whats normal or what to expect from snakes so i'm a little confused/worried.

1.While playing with her i noticed that she had a what seemed like a split on the underside of her mouth. A slit or opening of some sort. It doesn't seem to be causing her any problems, it isn't bloody, and it looks like a natural occurence, but i have no idea if it is natural or what it is, should i be worried or is it normal?

2.Also, what color should her underbelly be? She's a month old and has the slightest pinkness under on her stomach. It does't seem off but again i dont really know.

3. Her head seems almost blue. There is a bluish tint to her head, and when you look at it it seems almost greasy. I dont think it's actually grease, i think it's just color, but its hard to tell without touching her head. Is that normal?

Thanks for any feedback. I'm really loving my snake and wanna make sure she gets the best.

Thanks

Re: Appearance questions

1.While playing with her i noticed that she had a what seemed like a split on the underside of her mouth. A slit or opening of some sort. It doesn't seem to be causing her any problems, it isn't bloody, and it looks like a natural occurence, but i have no idea if it is natural or what it is, should i be worried or is it normal?

Snakes mouth split sideways on the lower jaw to allow prey items to be swallowed. They also unhinge.

2.Also, what color should her underbelly be? She's a month old and has the slightest pinkness under on her stomach. It does't seem off but again i dont really know.

She's most likely going into shed. In a week her eyes should cloud over blue.

3. Her head seems almost blue. There is a bluish tint to her head, and when you look at it it seems almost greasy. I dont think it's actually grease, i think it's just color, but its hard to tell without touching her head. Is that normal?

That's probably just the sheen of her scales.

Thanks

What Connie said Also you should leave your new little girl alone for a week to get used to her new home. It's hard to do but will help when feeding time comes around. Welcome aboard!
    1.0 Hypo RTB - Kotex * 1.0 Spider BP - Master Chief * 1.0 Pastel BP - Snakey * 0.3 Normal BP's - Cortana, Baby Girl & Straga

Thanks

that crevice under his head is normal. Don't remember what it's called.

The pink belly and blue on head sound like he might be getting ready to shed. Keep an eye on him, if his eyes start to get cloudy he's going to shed. In that case keep up the humidity in his enclosure and don't hold him while in he's "blue" (that means going to shed.)

Also, the black parts on my Ball Pythons can look blue in the sun because they have some iridescence to them.

Hope that helps and congrats on your new friend!

Edit: wow all these replys while I was typing.
    ~Tashai
    5.10 ball pythons, 1.1 hog island boas,
    1.1 mexican black kings, 0.1 jungle carpet python 0.1.3 crested geckos

Visit my website: http://ti-imagery.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snakelady View Post
    Also, the black parts on my Ball Pythons can look blue in the sun because they have some iridescence to them.
    Irridphores are the cause for the appearance that you see. The amount of irridphores in the skin cells, is directly linked to the ammount of irridescense that you see. Some snakes shine like a rainbow, and other have just a slight gleen to them. However, they are the cause for the blue tint you see on your snakes head.

As for your other questions, I think Connie did an excellent job answering them, so I'll leave it at that.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakelady View Post
    that crevice under his head is normal. Don't remember what it's called.
    Mental groove. It also happens to be one of the coolest anatomical names around.

-Lawrence

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xdeus View Post
    Mental groove. It also happens to be one of the coolest anatomical names around.
    Thanks Lawrence. It just goes to show, that you learn something everyday.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog