Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,343

3 members and 3,340 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

How to perform a checkup

I was thinking that some of the more experienced breeders/owners could post what they do for regular 'checkups'.

A lot of us feel like we have a good handle on basic care, but what do you guys do on a regular basis to check overall health?

What spurred this is it occurred to me that I've never opened Milton's mouth to check him. He's never had any problems at all, so I've never really had to. I usually try to peek in when he's realigning his jaw after a meal, but again, I've never seen anything to alarm me.

What do you guys think?
    1.0 Husband (Aaron)
    1.0 Normal (Milton)
    1.0 Puppy (Ollie)

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: How to perform a checkup

this is a good one. i wonder how come nobody reply to this..???

Thanks

Re: How to perform a checkup

I'll occasionally look at my girls mouth, either by opening it myself (with a suitable instrument ) or just pulling down her lower "lip" with my thumb. Its a good way to check for mucous or bubbles etc.

Thanks

I usueall allow them to run through my hands. i feel for rough or odd feeling spots. i check there belly, as well and there general shape (if they appear lumpy or dehydrated) check for mites obviously on occasion, but if you practice good husbandry you should have ot worry about them on a established pet.

i also check inside my boys mouth a few days after every feed. just to make sure its nice and light pink. no debris or other stuff that shouldn't be in there.

what i found works best is your plain old thumb to get in there mouth. OR if your feeling a lil uneasy about that. a medical tongue depressor works great i grabbed about 25 last time i was at the doc's

You should be inspecting after every shed for scales that have been pulled away from the skin and eye caps of course.

nothing beats a gold ol' visual checkup.
    1.0 Ball Python: Monty
    0.1 Red Tail boa: Dixie
    0.1 Tree Boa: Carmen

Thanks

Ditto what Jeff said. I handle my snakes on a daily basis (I only have 3) with the exception of digestion days and deep shed days. I also believe in regular vet checkups and have an appointment in an hour for Alice's yearly "physical" and a recheck of Vincent's stool. I give them the same care and attention I give my dogs. They can't tell us if they aren't feeling well.

Robbin

1.1 Normal Ball Pythons (Alice Cooper & Charger)
    1.0 Normal BCI (Vincent)
    1.0 Texas Rat Snake (Checkers)
    1.0 Kingsnake (Skunk)
    1.0 Western Hognose (Piglet)
    0.2 Bearded Dragons (Sunshine and Sandy)
    1.0 Blue-Tongue Skink (Rascal)
    1.0 Pyxie Frog (Pickle)
    1.0 Leopard Gecko (Gator)
    0.2 Pomeranians (Dixie and Lacy)

Thanks

Funny. I was just reading an old issue or Reptile (recently found a place selling old issues for a dollar lol) and there was an article on giving your reptiles check ups.

The author basically said that first they look at the animal's overall appearance and attitiude... If a snake is normally nippy and aggresive but it's acting listless, or a docile lizard is biting everytime you touch a certain limb or something... That indicates a potential problem. And of course you look for signs of dehydration or under feeding...

Then I believe he said he went on to the the head, looking at the eyes and inside the mouth. Basically just looking that everything is symetrical and the eyes are clear, no retained caps, no funny colors in the mouth.

Then test the limbs (if applicable lol) for stiffness or anything, feel for any unusual lumps or asymetry (sp) or spots that seem to hurt them if touched. Feel for good muscle mass and whatnot, check for mites.

Then the vent, check that nothing's prolaspsed, nothings crusty or red. Then the tail, make sure there's no stuck shed, etc.

That's what I remember reading, pretty much. Start by looking it over, then examine from the head on to the tail, mostly looking for symmetry and whatnot. The article was much more in depth. haha

Dizzy (Is never online anymore )

BPs:
    0.1 pinstripe (Brody)
    1.0 normal (Rogue)
    1.0 pastel (Valo)
    0.2 het albino (Dali & Vee Vee)
    1.1 het orange ghost (Max & Brook)
    0.4 poss. het pied (Polly, Nic, Marla & Fertility)

0.0.1 albino pacman frog
    0.0.4 fire bellied toads

1.0 bearded dragon (Bart)

0.1 the best cat in the world (Salem)
    2.0 kittens (Donny & Walter)

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wow great question. Check up's happen every time you lay hands on an animal.
    Feel them move, is it normal ?
    Check eyes, normal color and clarity?
    Body in good shape, not to skinny not to fat?
    Vent and nose clear of discharge?
    More often than not people catch problems because they know what is normal physically and behaviorally for that animal. People that don't are the ones that open their tub one day to find their snake drooling and blowing bubbles, or not moving the lower half of its body (no reference to any user here just a general statement).

Knowing your animals is the key to everything from breeding to spotting health issues early.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"