Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,280

1 members and 3,279 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Well... rats

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Well... rats

Matt,

Animal Atlanta will take the larger rats off your hands, so no worries about that. I'm also going to be checking out a local raptor society, like Jo says that use them for hunting their birds.

I've also placed retired females in pairs into pet homes. You do have to be careful not to say what they were breeding for before - some people freak - but I've placed favored females in some nice pet homes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    Matt,

Animal Atlanta will take the larger rats off your hands, so no worries about that. I'm also going to be checking out a local raptor society, like Jo says that use them for hunting their birds.

I've also placed retired females in pairs into pet homes. You do have to be careful not to say what they were breeding for before - some people freak - but I've placed favored females in some nice pet homes.

Really, do they buy them back or for just giving away? No matter what thats good to know if I have any big rats I need to get rid of!
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Find a local boa breeder and see if they will pick up your overflow. I don’t like the way our local reptile store pre-kills mice and rats for their customers and I have a bond with my older rats so, the boa breeder I give my overflow will CO2 them and that’s my idea of humane.
    Laurie

Thanks

It looks like i'll be getting 2.4 rats from Trey(Mxrider42) tomorrow or tuesday so we will see how this run around will work!
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Find a desperate pet store! I know of one that will pay me nice money for my used-up breeders. She has trouble finding them.. I do feed some to my BCI but he can only eat so much.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

I got them! Trey(Who also has a wonderful collection of BPs which I wanted to take home as well) found me a really nice double rex(hairless) female, and two really light colored females that look great. The others are either albino or striped/hooded? One male is a dumbo rex albino and hes huge! Two are pregnant also, which is a huge bonus because all my mice are leaveing tomorrow I hate those things! In all ive got 2.4 and owe trey ten bucks which im going to send through paypal ASAP. Im very happy right now, after looking at his pups which are the size of my month old+ mice I cant wait to get started without the wait of them growing so slow!Again, Thanks Trey!
    - Matt

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

What I do is that I have kept 2 BP on F/T so any surplus that is about to be oversized is euthanized and placed in the freezer.

For retired breeders since I cannot possibly retire everyone as pet I give them to my local reptile store.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

One question: With my hairless rat, I know that she will grow very short hair. How do I get a rat that stays 100% hairless? Breed a super rex to a super rex?
    - Matt

Thanks

A true hairless is recessive. There are (i think) 3 different recessive genes, and I'm not sure if they are all compatible. They most likely are.

A super rex has varying degrees of hairlessness, sometimes they don't lose much at all, and sometimes they look nude.

Thanks

One of the pregos gave me 15 healthy babys this morning! Not even 24 hours and my collection has doubled +
    - Matt

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123