Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,447

1 members and 3,446 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Do you wanna see a couple of my dogs?

When I was about 12 yrs old we had a collie. She didn't bark as much as most collies. We had a hateful old woman 2 doors down from us that would always pull me aside and tell me she was going to call animal control and have my dog taken away from me forever if she barked again. So years later I heard about basenjis and thought , barkless dog, perfect for apartment living!! I thought they were gorgeous!!Boy was I surprised at how vocal they were when I went to see the breeder. Needless to say, I went for a different breed..
    I guess that's a main reason I love borzoi and whippets. For the most part they rarely bark. When I got my first one, he was exceptionally quiet. It was months before I knew he was capable of barking. It has been forty years since the threats made by that old woman and I still can't deal with the dogs barking. If they bark more than a minute or so I call them up to the house. For someone who rarely fears anything , I still get a knot in my stomach if one of my dogs bark.
    Sorry for the long post.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I hate barking too. Actually, there are lines of basenjis that are silent. My foundation female (the original Zinnia) is silent. I tried to train her to yodel and the most she could produce was a little mew. She has produced about 50/50 silent vs. yodellers and it depends on how the sires vocalize. So if you ever go looking for a basenji, ask the breeder if their line is very vocal or if it is fairly quiet.
    Last edited by ZinniaZ; 05-31-2008 at 09:56 PM. Reason: took out censored word for female dog-- hahahaa

~~ZinniaZ
    2.1.0 ball python-- James Herriot the Spider BP and Paradox, my son's female normal BP, Jack London, het red axanthic
    0.1 Blue Beauty-- Anna Sewall

Thanks

One of the girls I work with has two - a male and a female. She shows them, and I think her male is like #5 in the country in agility. She was even on animal planet once.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZinniaZ View Post
    I hate barking too. Actually, there are lines of basenjis that are silent. My foundation female (the original Zinnia) is silent. I tried to train her to yodel and the most she could produce was a little mew. She has produced about 50/50 silent vs. yodellers and it depends on how the sires vocalize. So if you ever go looking for a basenji, ask the breeder if their line is very vocal or if it is fairly quiet.
    That's good to know. I was under the impression they were all very vocal! Thanks for the info!!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mindibun View Post
    One of the girls I work with has two - a male and a female. She shows them, and I think her male is like #5 in the country in agility. She was even on animal planet once.

Do you know the kennel name? I bet I know of her at least... the basenji world is a tiny one.

~~ZinniaZ
    2.1.0 ball python-- James Herriot the Spider BP and Paradox, my son's female normal BP, Jack London, het red axanthic
    0.1 Blue Beauty-- Anna Sewall

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blu Mongoose View Post
    I guess that's a main reason I love borzoi and whippets. For the most part they rarely bark.
    I love akita's for this reason. Although you want to make sure they are socialized well. Also, akitas are very protective of your stuff when you're gone.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Schlyne View Post
    I love akita's for this reason. Although you want to make sure they are socialized well. Also, akitas are very protective of your stuff when you're gone.
    Well you got me on that one! My dogs would hand the stuff out to them!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12