Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,339

4 members and 3,335 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

edstrom rodent valves

First off, please excuse my grammer. I'm doing this on my phone.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with some of edstrom's more specific and pricier rodent valves.

I currently use the regular $3.50 valves that are sold by most reptile suppliers. These are the same valves used for rabbits. Once in a while, a flood can occur, which blows. This is usually due to bedding being jammed into the sipper valve.

Some of the other valves that edstrom offers are specific to various rodents. They have protective guards on the sipper. Here is the catch, these valves range in price from 10$ to 25$.

Obviously I would hate to blow all that money on something that doesn't work. What I mean by that is near 100% prevention of floods.

I am at work so I don't have the actual valve models available. However, most anyone who has automatic rodent watering systems set up knows exactly what I'm talking about. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks

Re: edstrom rodent valves

I don't have any direct experience with the "specialty" values but I have been using the standard values for almost 10 years now on over 40 rat/ASF/Mice tubs and to date have only had 3-4 floods resulting from failure or jamming of the values.

With this time/flood ratio and loss count I cannot see spending the extra on values for me.

This is just my experience and opinion hopefully it helps you.
    Sean

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lord jackel View Post
    I don't have any direct experience with the "specialty" values but I have been using the standard values for almost 10 years now on over 40 rat/ASF/Mice tubs and to date have only had 3-4 floods resulting from failure or jamming of the values.

With this time/flood ratio and loss count I cannot see spending the extra on values for me.

This is just my experience and opinion hopefully it helps you.
    I'll have to second that comment. I have nat been doing it quite as long, but with 5 years under my belt, and only 1 flood, I wouldn't spend the extra money either.

Now with that said, we water with a "reservoir", meaning that during a flood, the water supply is limited. If you were to plumb your racks to a water supply, and had endless water, then those pricier valves might be a strong candidate for your water supply needs. If the rats were to jam a valve open with a steady supply of water, you could potentially flood the entire rack, and the room.

Just my .02.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks

Thanks guys, I think I'm gonna stick with the ones I have. I have only had two floods but it was a huge mess. I think I will purchase some new diaphragms since my current valves are over 8 years old.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dacalio View Post
    I think I will purchase some new diaphragms since my current valves are over 8 years old.
    That's probably your biggest issue right there. I'm using the typical valves. Have well over a hundred in operation and I typically have 1 flood every few months at most.

Good luck!

Justin
    J. Kobylka Reptiles Website
    Check out the 2013 JKR incubator!

Warning:
    Snakes have been shown to cause death in laboratory rats.

Thanks

I use the Edstrom vari flows. Great quaility and if you keep them clean very little sticking to cause floods!