Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,346

3 members and 3,343 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Can you sex a tarantula from its picture?

Just curious. I've had this guy(?) for a little bit and got curious. My last one didn't like me and became a hair flicker. I'm not a big fan of spiders, but I wanted to overcome my fears. I don't handle him at all, using the cup method when I need to move him. If I'm correct, he's a Rose hair.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...tarantula4.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...tarantula3.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...tarantula2.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...tarantula1.jpg
    Last edited by dr del; 05-25-2008 at 06:31 PM. Reason: please keep pictures under 800 pixels wide

Thanks

Re: Can you sex a tarantula from its picture?

There are 2 different methods for sexing a tarantula that is not a mature male. One can be done by looking at a spot on the bottom of the tarantulas abdomen (never really 100% accurate, but can give you a good idea of the sex). Another way is after the tarantula molts, you look at that same spot from the inside of the molt (the spermathecae) and you will notice a flap of skin if it is female, and if there is none then it is male (100% accurate if you know what you are looking for, there are different spermathecae shapes for different species so it can be difficult to look for on some species).

Both of these methods require practice to become accurate and to know what you are looking for. I have been able to sex all of the tarantulas I have had in the past 2 years by spermathecae sexing, and after knowing what to look for it becomes quite easy.

Judging just from that picture the tarantula looks female, I'm only saying this because I do not see mating hooks that a male would have, but without having a molt or knowing if this tarantula is mature or not I can not give you a 100% answer.

My first tarantula was a rose hair, they told me it was female but it molted for me about 2 months after I had it into a mature male. If it is male you will notice that its pedipalps will develop "boxing glove" looking balls to the end of them, and the first set of legs after that will both develop hooks that will be clearly visible.

I have some pictures I'll find for you to show you some hooks and spermathecaes.

Thanks

There are some better pictures out there, but I'm just going to post some of my past tarantulas.

Mating hook of a mature male

spermathecae of a male

spermathecae of a female

Looks like thats all I have, let me know if you have any questions or want links to know how to sex from either of the 2 ways. If you only have one tarantula it might not be that important for you to learn how to sex those ways, and just looking out for mating hooks may be the easiest thing for you to do.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Thanks edie. Yep it's my lone tarantula and i don't plan to breed her. She has molted twice since I've had her. Interesting critter, has never shown any sign of agression. As I said, I don't try to handle her, just move her when I clean.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kjhowland View Post
    Thanks edie. Yep it's my lone tarantula and i don't plan to breed her. She has molted twice since I've had her. Interesting critter, has never shown any sign of agression. As I said, I don't try to handle her, just move her when I clean.
    Rose hairs are generally very docile tarantulas, they're one of the most recommended species for beginners. Mine (I've had 3 rose hairs) have all done well with handling, none have ever gone into a striking pose.

Thanks

How neat! I would have never known you can sex them like that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    How neat! I would have never known you can sex them like that.
    It can be really tricky, a lot of the time the molt will be torn up before you even know its in there and you don't have much to go off of.
    Back when I still had my tarantulas I was always excited for a molt, it was actually a lot of fun learning how to do it.. and different species have different spermathecae shapes for females, its all really crazy and interesting.. if you google image search spermathecae they actually have some good pictures of some of the shapes

Thanks

If you can get a good close up underside picture, I may be able to get you a better idea of the sex. Ventral sexing takes practice though and is really difficult for some species (ornamentals for example).
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959