Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,384

1 members and 3,383 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Post Sand or no sand?

So, I have heard a few different aspects of having sand in Leo cages, and was curious on everyones out look on it.

Now I know Bone Aid can die the leo's feets, and I was told from a two different people that it is bad, and that it is good.

Do you have sand in your leo's cages? Have you ever?

Thanks

Re: Sand or no sand?

I have never had sand in any of my Leo's tanks and never will. It's just not worth the risk, it can cause impaction and kill them. The calcium sands are the worst, they do not dissolve (it actually clumps!) and can build up over time...it happens all the time. Since they are made of calcium they actually encourage ingestion, Leo's need calcium so lick it. Leo's lick everything! If any sand is to be used it should be fine, washed/sifted play sand and ONLY for adults, never babies or juvies. Keep in mind though, Leo's don't really live on sand in the wild, it's more of a hard packed clay and rocky area. It's not a natural substrate and can be very harmful in the long run so it's not something I use or suggest using. Nothing loose, stick with solid substrates.

Thanks

In my leo's enclosure, I put paper towels on half and have some tile in the other half. My leo seems to normally poop on the tile, so it is really easy to just pick out the dirty tile, replace it with clean ones, while I wash and sanitize the one that I took out. Then I replace the paper towel every week (unless it gets dirty then I replace it as needed).

To me, sand just doesn't seem worth it. I don't want to run the risk of impaction, plus it just seems so much harder to clean and to keep clean.
    ~*~*~* Pamela *~*~*~

See my dragons!!
    http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/36057

Thanks

i spent some time yesterday talking to the employee's at the reptile store about my leo, and was asking a milion and one questions.

She told me that sand is good to use in leos tanks, that the risk of the leo being impacted is slim to none. I've also done some research online, and online is saying the same thing as the reptile store.

I'm a bit confused here to say the least lol

Thanks

I've been keeping leopard geckos for 10 years, so I started keeping them before everyone decided sand was bad. I've never had a problem with impaction.
    Mike

Thanks

Obviously not every Leo that is kept on sand is going to become impacted and die, but it is possible and it does happen. A Leo kept on tile, reptile carpet or paper towel just isn't going to become impacted (from substrate) so it is a much safer bet.
    My vet is diabolically opposed to it, he yelled at me once about other people and went off on a tirade about it's use saying far too many Leo's die from sand and that it is 100% preventable. He couldn't understand why folks went against his advice and ended up with impacted, dead Leo's and were surprised about it! He wasn't yelling at me personally but felt he could vent about it to someone who didn't use it.
    I don't know how your pet/reptile shop is but do know that whatever I'm told at any of the ones near me is usually wrong

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qiksilver View Post
    I've been keeping leopard geckos for 10 years, so I started keeping them before everyone decided sand was bad. I've never had a problem with impaction.
    I have done some research on sand, and of course there are some bad cases where impaction happens due to sand, and of course those are the stories you hear. You never hear the "good stories"

I just recently got a leo, and had her on a napkin, and added sand to her cage yesterday. She seems to like it, and it makes it a little more appealing on the eyes!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine_3 View Post
    Obviously not every Leo that is kept on sand is going to become impacted and die, but it is possible and it does happen.

I do agree with you... but on the other aspect, people get into car accidents, and die, but all of us get into our cars everyday.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

I've only been keeping leos for a few decades so maybe I'm not experienced enough to have an opinion.

I keep mine on sand. From the time they hatch until they die.

Occasionally I'll lose a baby, maybe one or two out of a hundred but they may well have had something wrong with them anyway.

As far as leos NOT having sand where they're from, that's a bunch of bullsnot.

Sure, some of the habitat is hard packed clay but some isn't.

If you like sand, use it. If you don't, then don't use it. As far as it being bad for the lizard, I say it isn't.

I wonder how many crickets they find in the wild. Or how many roaches. Or how many beetle larva. Of course, you are free to change the diet they've evolved eating but no no no, don't use the same substrate they did that evolving on because some lackwit lost a gecko or two that was too stupid not to eat sand with it's food.

The thing people forget is that in nature there is a natural culling process and part of that process is that if you are too stupid to not eat sand, you don't get to pass your genes on to the next generation.

I've kept many many many leos on sand and have lost a VERY small number due to impaction.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

just like 99% of the worlds questions, everyone has different views on them.

thank you everyone for telling your input

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast