Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,389

1 members and 3,388 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Easy insects to raise?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Long View Post
    Connie, I dont seperate mine, and I see four stages of development alive and well. LOL Mine dont even bite.....I didnt even know they could bite!
    Hmm... I'm going to have to give it a go then. I still have a handful left. See what happens.

Thanks

we dont separate here either

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think the main reason to separate so they can pupate is because they can be somewhat cannibalistic and the worms will feed on the pupae. I tried raising superworms before and was successful but it seemed to me that they took a longer time until I had worms that were food sized.

Regular meal worms on the other hand were so easy it was ridiculous I kept them in rubbermaid boxes on chicken mash and I didn't do anything with them other then toss in some veggies every few days or so and pull out the pupae when I wanted to start another colony. (which is a good idea if you want worms all of the same size)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

mealworms are very easy to breed, keep them on a substrate and after 13ish molts they turn into a beetle. a few weeks later your have babies (they are so small you cant hardly see them)

Superworms are alot harder. I use 6 little storage divider containers that have like 34 slots in them. You put the largest ones (2"+) in individual slots. after about 2 weeks (some die off) they will be alien looking things. put them on substrate, after another 2ish weeks they will be beetles. Once they turn black that can lay mate/layeggs.

Thanks

Ahh thanks for the info! I'm not yet decided what I'm going to do. I made a nice tub set up of half oatmeal/ half chicken feed and threw the super worms in there. If they breed, awesome. If not, I might go for the roach set up.

I attempted to put them in the snake room where it's right around 80. The potatoes molded up in one day. That sucks... I don't know how to give them moisture if I can't do potatoes.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    Ahh thanks for the info! I'm not yet decided what I'm going to do. I made a nice tub set up of half oatmeal/ half chicken feed and threw the super worms in there. If they breed, awesome. If not, I might go for the roach set up.

I attempted to put them in the snake room where it's right around 80. The potatoes molded up in one day. That sucks... I don't know how to give them moisture if I can't do potatoes.
    Super's will not breed unless you stress them in the small enclosures. You can use carrots also for moisture

Thanks

Old post, but, with the mealworms, I don't use veggies for moisture. I throw in cricket water crystals about once or twice a week, and don't have any problems with mold or anything.

Thanks

dubias and lateralis!!! throw some fruits,vegetables and dog food in there and let them rot and just wait for the roaches to multiply. the young ones eat the crap of the adults which makes them grow faster. very low maintenance.
    raymond

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Mold kills roaches!

Thanks

I got a little tackle box form Walmart. Drilled a few holes in each little area. Put a superworm in there and they will start to change. The beetles do have an aroma. But only if you mess with them. You need to move the beetles. I have found that they feed on the smaller worms and eggs. So about every two weeks I move the beetles over to a new tub. In about six months you will have tons. It is not as hard as some people make it out to be.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast