Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,322

1 members and 3,321 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99

Thread: First tumor....

Thanks

Unhappy First tumor....

Well, my pride and joy Scarlett has developed a mammary tumor. I pretty beat up about it, I just don't think my Vet is going to say go ahead with a surgery to remove it. It's not large, about the size of a flat pea, but it has grown quickly in just a few weeks.

She is the sweetest rat, not being a breeder, she spends her days playing with weanlings and hanging out with other females.

Pretty bummed, I don't want to put her down as she is only a year old and just the calmest and most loving girl. She makes an awesome pet...

Well, anyways here's some pictures. You can see, it is right at one of her teats....

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: First tumor....

Connie - you might be surprised. I took Mrs. Snuggles in with the intention of having her PTS right before Thanksgiving. Dr. C took a look at it (it was huge by that time, because I allowed her to nurse her litter to weaning before taking her in), and he told me to bring her back the day after Thanksgiving and he removed it. She's recovered awesomely and has not had any other tumors since.

I've got another female with a litter with one that I'll take into him after I get back from NERD and see if he'll remove hers as well.

Mrs. Snuggles was retired at that point and she's been a fantastic companion to other rats and taking care of weaned babies!

Don't give up hope on the old girl yet!

Thanks

I've had a couple rats with the mammary tumors. Peachy's surgery went well, and they never came back, but on Creamy, it grew very large very quickly, and only 4.5 months after surgery, grew back again.

Peachy's was under the armpit, like your sweetie's.

Talk to your vet. Mammary tumors are pretty common in pet rats. You don't necessarily have to euthanize them for those types of tumors.

Good luck, in whatever you decide!
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

Good luck getting it taken care of.

My girl Ginger got several, and they grew really big, really fast.

I would agree though, do not assume it is not fixable.

She is a really pretty rat btw.

Bruce
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Thanks

Hey Connie! Sending all my best... I hope she'll be OK...
    Grey Scale is a good thing...

Thanks

It's very do-able. They respond very well to surgery and recover incredibly fast. If your vet needs some info from my vet, who mainly does exotics, then I'll gladly pass on some emails for you

Preanesthetics such as atropine are important. The vet needs to use a subcuticular stitch to make sure the rat can't open the incision up. Then skin glue needs to be used on the wound. Buprenorphine or metacam need to be used for pain relief.

Also, do not let your vet tell you that it's ok to take rats off of their food prior to surgery. Rats are unable to vomit, and they need the calories to be able to maintain themselves through and after surgery. A little extra protein afterwards will help her recover quickly.

Good luck with her! She should do fine if the techs and vet are knowledgeable about rat anesthesia. I can even show pictures of how we rigged up a syringe cover as an anesthetic mask. It's very cool
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

This was a few months ago... we ended up putting the girl down.

Thanks

Awwww, I'm sorry to hear that that's what happened to her.

Hopefully, should it ever happen again, you'll have a MUCH happier outcome!

R.
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

I'm sorry Connie, I didn't see this thread until now.