Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,286

1 members and 3,285 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: ASF Price gouging?

One thing is they take longer than mice to get up to size. I think since they need more time than mice they will prob stay at around 5 dollars.

Thanks

That's exactly it. They take a lot longer to get up to fullsize compared to mice and rats.

I paid $20 a trio (and I was lucky enough to get unrelated trios, I know a lot of people are inbreeding sibs) about 6 months ago from the ONLY ASF breeder that I'm aware of in Pennsylvania.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

In my opinion $5 is a deal, considering that 2 years ago it was hard to find anyone who would sell you females and when you did, the going rate was $100 for 1.2.

That's what I paid for mine plus drove 7 hours round trip to pick them up at a show. I know some of you may think that's crazy and maybe it is but I've never regretted it. They have paid for themselves many times over.
    "Selective Breeding Begins With Selective Buying"

Louis Kirkland
    Stealth Exotics on facebook
    Cornerstone Reptiles on facebook

Thanks

Same here Louis,I paid $300 for three trios about 2 years ago

Thanks

5 bux for a feeder rat? thats cheap! around here the few stores that sell rodents charge 7.99 and 8.99 each. and its always hard to find the right sizes! which is 1 of the reasons I breed my own mice & rats.

Another reason is I love the babies!! Lots of the super cute/friendly ones stay as pets and breeders. I have a small mom & pops pet store that will buy fancy baby rats at 3 dollars each store credit. And some go to friends & family.

supply & demand.. if i wasn't breeding my own, yes i'd pay 9 bux per rat to feed my snakes. I've done it many times and would do it again if need be.

Also.. there is someone about an hour away selling ASF for 6 dollars each. i still think thats a good deal. been thinking about switching over to them but the whole aggression thing is holding me back as I said above, I love my mice n rats, they aren't just my feeders they are my pets too. I wouldn't want rats that you can't feel free to hold and snuggle

Thanks

Over on our end of MI.. Feeder rats are 6.35. X-large mice are 1.55 last time we got them.. I am about to pick up a new trio of ASF at the next show in Taylor and those will be 2.00 a piece. Per the price sheet I got last month. Just to add in some new blood. I dont think its a bad price personally.. Mine are always larger than mice so I think they are fine as a mid range price.. And when I see some of the prices above I say I am glad I can find them for 2 bucks.

Thanks

LOL, 5 bucks price gouging??? I paid $100.00 for 3 when feeder surplus first started releasing females a couple years back. The best $100 I have ever spent. I have at least 10 female ball pythons that are now proven breeders that would still be under 1000g if not for these things. I should also be hatching out some pieds this year from hets that went from eating about once every 2 months on mice (would never take a rat) to reliable weekly feeder on ASF's.
    John Vandegrift

Thanks

thytempest i know that you go to the show in taylor. there is a couple there selling them for

pinkie = frozen .20 live .25
    fuzzy = frozen .40 live .50
    pup = frozen .75 live .80
    weanling = frozen 1.00 live 1.50
    adult = frozen 1.50 live 2.00
    lg. adult = frozen 2.25 live 3.00

they dont bring all sizes to the show every month but if you email them they will bring exactly what sizes and how many you want

http://www.dhookventures.com/PriceList6_3_08.pdf
    "So far this is the oldest that I've been"
    'If you can make it through the nite, there's a brighter day'
    "I'm out the game, put the 2nd string in."
    "live with the pain and keep trying or die knowing you never gave anything a chance"
    "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive"
    "No one can take away your dreams"

People for the Ethical Treatment of Agriculture

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BT41042 View Post
    I do too...Out of all my snakes I only have 1 BP and 1 JCP that are hooked on them...I give my excess to my buddy - Around 20 a month...
    BT
    Well, hey then....how about throwing / flying some MY way??

The teeny-tiny mice are $1.49/ea. If I buy 'em 15+ at a time, then in about 2-3 weeks, some MAY be large enough to be a good meal for my picky eaters. Luckily, I may not have to do mice for much longer for the adults that were fasting, but I still have 3 babies that will eat only live mice, and then sporadically. So I'm now looking to find a 1.3 or 2.5 to start breeding my own ASFs. Since I have ratties as both pets and food, it wouldn't be that much more to breed and feed my own.

Unfortunately around here, there aren't any ASFs. We have ONE local petstore that MIGHT be carrying them right now...but since I haven't SEEN the animals, it's hard to say. Plus the clerk called them "large fancy mice" which if they ARE ASFs, tells me the clerk doesn't have a clue.

Either way, I'm trying to track down a source/ breeder who would be willing to ship some ASFs. Becky was generous to offer mice, but I'm thinking I'd have better luck w/the ASFs.

Whatever....yeah supply and demand is a lot of it, and a lot of it is ppl willing to pay extra if it means getting a picky eater to eat regularly and thrive.
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sweety314 View Post
    Either way, I'm trying to track down a source/ breeder who would be willing to ship some ASFs. Becky was generous to offer mice, but I'm thinking I'd have better luck w/the ASFs..
    You can't ship live rodents. (unless you define shipping as putting them in your car and driving them somewhere!)
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast