Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,276

3 members and 3,273 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: 10' 150lb Lizard

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Long View Post
    I have actually found both here in my yard. They are all closely related.

Look at this one

http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzool.../galliwasp.JPG
    ...hybrids?

Congrats man!

....those buggers are still on my list. I need to get my butt off the couch....away from this...from the tv .....I need to get outdoors!

NICE FIND!!
    ____JOSHUA____
    ______
    ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!!

Kansas City Chiefs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    Judging from the last picture you have a Western Sagebrush Female there. But I'm sure she appreciated being turned loose to wreak havoc amongst the males doing pushups out there in The Big Bad.
    I thought it was a female at first as well since the Blue on the belly was not as vivid as I have seen before... But you can't tell from the pics.. Theyre was a beutiful yellow/orange coloration underneathe his back legs, according to my research only males display this trait.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoCaliSon View Post
    I thought it was a female at first as well since the Blue on the belly was not as vivid as I have seen before... But you can't tell from the pics.. Theyre was a beutiful yellow/orange coloration underneathe his back legs, according to my research only males display this trait.
    From personal experience, having had eggs laid by individuals showing such colours, I will say that I think you are incorrect in the guessing of the masculinity of that lizard.

You are right about there being a bunch of them out there though.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

Your probably right... I have never bred them... Is what I read correct though?? Is it only the males that have the color patterns on the back/under side of there legs?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

I thought it was a real lizard that big
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    From personal experience, having had eggs laid by individuals showing such colours, I will say that I think you are incorrect in the guessing of the masculinity of that lizard.

You are right about there being a bunch of them out there though.
    I am really interested in your anwser to my last question... Pats pics are clearer than mine... But at the bottom of the pic you can see the orange pattern on the back of the legs... I looked into it more and so far everything I reads says this means it was a male, as ONLY males display that pattern. I would trust your opinion having supposedly bred these; but I ask, respectfully, because I did not simply "guess the masculinity of the lizard"... I actually researched it at came to an educated conclusion. You can barely see it in the blurry pic of my guys underbelly, but he does have that orange pattern on the rear of his legs... Am I mistaken that this means Male?

I know this really doesnt matter, especially since I released the Lizard already, but studying herps is my hobby and I always love to take the opportunity to learn something new.

Thanks

LOL haha
    One mean little critter!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SoCaliSon View Post
    I am really interested in your anwser to my last question... Pats pics are clearer than mine... But at the bottom of the pic you can see the orange pattern on the back of the legs... I looked into it more and so far everything I reads says this means it was a male, as ONLY males display that pattern. I would trust your opinion having supposedly bred these; but I ask, respectfully, because I did not simply "guess the masculinity of the lizard"... I actually researched it at came to an educated conclusion. You can barely see it in the blurry pic of my guys underbelly, but he does have that orange pattern on the rear of his legs... Am I mistaken that this means Male?

I know this really doesnt matter, especially since I released the Lizard already, but studying herps is my hobby and I always love to take the opportunity to learn something new.
    You are indeed mistaken. The pics you have are a girl. I collect data on these monsters all the time. It has to do with the lighter coloring and reduced blue of the belly (along with flecking in the sides when the females are gravid). Males are very prominent throat and belly blue and generally have a 'beefier' look (how I think of it) to them. The orange patterning on the hind legs can be deceiving and is used more for differentiating between close species (ie S. graciosus).

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
    Kat

Thanks

Okay, I just got what you were saying. You're not talking about the leg pattern on the top (dorsal) side of the hind leg, you're looking at the femoral pores??? Here is where it is tricky...... Males have "larger" more prominent femoral pores, but girls still have these pores and can look like juvenile males in some cases. It's not really a definitive in S. occi.

Part of the problem with ID'ing this genus is the variation and overlap of ranges of these guys. We're still doing DNA work to determine the phylogeny (mostly it's James Archie at CSU Long Beach). and Occi is not the easiest species to sex. Here are a few male and female together pics, but don't get confused because in 'this' case, the female has fairly small, unobtrusive femoral pores. It's more to give you an idea of coloring differences........ female on the left, of course.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
    Kat

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Hey, sorry, just caught up on this thread.

The Janelady has the right of it.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast