Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,425

1 members and 3,424 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Wish I Lived On a Farm

I have been talking to my fiance for a bit about us possibly moving to an area where we can have some land and have a small farm. We would raise goats for milk, chickens for eggs, alpaca for fleece, ect. Oh and we'd have to have a horse or two. So, anyone that keeps these animals or lives on a "farm", please chime in with your experiences. I'd love to hear the good and the bad, especially dealing with the keeping of the animals.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Re: Wish I Lived On a Farm

The worst part that I have dealt with is carrying buckets of water to replace frozen buckets. The fence usually breaks down when it is so cold your fingers are numb or the rain is pounding. I help with my sisters horses and she has to take care of all 16 of them plus other animals no matter what the weather, A minimum of three to 4 hrs a day!! The weather was my biggest challenge. Animal husbandry is a must. Animals never seem to get real sick till the vet is not available. I had one of my borzoi get her side laid open in a blizzard. I was able to stitch her up myself by directions given over the phone. Not trying to scare you, but when you take on several animals it is a commitment. Not only of your time and hard work, but your billfold too!. I still have several animals though because they are a joy to keep. But if you are unable to commit to the work, do the animals a favor and leave them to others. Good luck with your critters. If you truly want it, you will reap the rewards.

Thanks

I'm used to having to care for animals no matter the weather. I had horses when I was younger and I remember having to go out and care for them when it was raining and cold. I would definitely do a ton of research and talk with many many many livestock keepers and vets before ever making my first purchase of an animal like that. This is something I plan to do once I have a house with some land (estimating 5-8 years down the road). I know there would be times (probably many) that I really just would not want to get off my butt and tend the animals but I would get up and do it anyway. I talked to a lady at the last state fair about nubian goats. I'm really interested in those little buggers. They are adorable with interesting personalities. I can't wait till the next fair rolls around so I can go see the goats again.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Well good luck! I didn't mean to sound so off putting, but having done rescue work for so many years you can't imagine all I've seen or heard. Many people do get animals with the intentions of caring for them, not realizing the WORK involved. So many city people are in love with the thought of farm life having no idea what it is about. It never sinks in with them till it is sometimes to late to help the animals. I rescued a pony that had foundered and during all the years they had it, they didn't trim the hooves.
    It's good to hear you have knowledge of what your getting in to. When you find a place remember to post pics.

Thanks

I work in a bookstore and I have found tons of books in the animal section that are on the care of various farm-type animals. I can get all my basic information from books and the internet and when it comes closer to the time I would be thinking about getting these animals I would seek out some people that can give me hands on experience before I buy. That way I know what I'm getting into. My best friend's parents have a goat/alpaca farm one state over from me so maybe if they still don't hate me from my highschool days, then maybe they can teach me a bit.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

My best advice? Talk to people you know that may know someone with a farm and spend the summer helping out on a real farm. It isn't like anything you can imagine. Seriously.

If you just want to have a few animals like you mentioned, I have no doubt you'd be able to pull it off! But a working farm is a lot of work, heartache and commitment.

I plan on having some chickens, geese, and maybe a fainting goat or two. But that really is the extent. I don't have any interest in actually running a farm LOL, just having the space for some animals I really love.

For something small, you just live in the country. Have a small barn, maybe a chicken coop, and that's what I hope to have.

Horses are a huge commitment, but my aunt in Cali has something like 11, and it was a blast to be there! Again, best to go work with a stable. Get some experience before you invest thousands into some horses on your own property. It's such a rewarding experience to see all of your hardwork pay off and enjoy it!!

Thanks

I can relate to wanting some land and a few animals. I would never want to have a working farm. Just not the personality it takes to do that but I'm into chickens so I can help you there. Chickens are awesome in small numbers. They can be very personable and give you a bonus of eggs and/or meat.

This is my feature length documentary Mad City Chickens. It's on people who keep chickens in the city. A lot applies to people in the country too. We just had the sold out (yea!)premiere at the WI film fest in April and are submitting it to others around the country now.

Here's the movie trailers. trailers
    Hope you enjoy!
    ~Tashai
    5.10 ball pythons, 1.1 hog island boas,
    1.1 mexican black kings, 0.1 jungle carpet python 0.1.3 crested geckos

Visit my website: http://ti-imagery.com

Thanks

I used to have 3 and I think that is all I would be able to handle as far as horses goes. I don't live that far from "the country" but finding someone who has a farm with these kinds of animals will be hard for me. I don't know anyone, other than my friend who's parents have a farm one state over. The only other chance I have to even see animals like the ones I want to keep is the state fair.
    Under Construction.....

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

You know, just do your homework and make a plan and start small. Figure out your areas of interest and why you want the animals you do. Do you want just a hobby farm? Or do you want to be producing meat or fiber or eggs or milk or??? I have the horses and we will probably go ahead and make a chicken coop this year as I am interested in knowing where my food comes from. The horses do not produce anything except manure but the workload is the same as other livestock. I like having them and being in tune with the weather and the seasons. Going out day in and day out, living by the schedule of their needs. I think it is a nice way to live.

~~ZinniaZ
    2.1.0 ball python-- James Herriot the Spider BP and Paradox, my son's female normal BP, Jack London, het red axanthic
    0.1 Blue Beauty-- Anna Sewall

Thanks

Basically, we want to be self sustaining. We want to grow our own food. We are vegetarians so we won't raise animals for meat for our consumption, but our animals would like the organic, homegrown meat for themselves. (chickens, quail, ect) We want to grow our own vegetables and fruits, raise goats for milk (maybe even a cow), and chickens for eggs. I like the idea of not only knowing where my food comes from but having to work for it too. I think I would be much healthier for it and also I would be more satisfied looking at my dinner plate and saying "Man, did I work hard for this meal." I'm starting small already. My fiance and I are venturing into growing a few vegetables in our backyard this year and seeing how that goes.
    Under Construction.....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast