Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,148

3 members and 1,145 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,108
Threads: 248,545
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, charcharbinks
    Thanks

Ball Python/ Cornsnake temps

I hope this OK to post here as it also relates to cornsnakes. I posted this on another site and I am interested to see what kind of feedback I will get.
    OK. People that keep both Ball Pythons and Cornsnakes (especially you techies) your advice is sought. I am building two racks out of Melamine ,flexxwatt, with Herpstat, thermostat and nightdrop probe with 32 qt. and 50 qt. Iris tubs, 14 shelves total
    One of the racks I would like to house BP's and corns. I want to use Herpstat to run one line to BP flexxwatt and then again another line off herpsatat with a thermostat in between so I can dial down the corn temps a few degrees. First question: Does this sound feasible?
    Two: Corn goddess LOVE put optimal corn temps between 70-88 d.
    BP god MCCURLEY puts balls at 80-85 day and 78-80 night with a basking hotspot at 88-90.
    So what would be an optimal average temp for both, assuming there would be a night drop ( I don't think this would be a problem for corns) of 2-4 degrees and also that the corn heat source could be dialed down from whatever the BP's are at? thanks, Kyle

Thanks

Re: Ball Python/ Cornsnake temps

I own both and personally, I would keep them in separate racks. I'm in the long (finals in two weeks) process of building a rack for my 4 BPs and a set of 4 stackable display cages for my 4 corns. Since the temp needs are 'back to back' as it were, it's best just to keep them on different systems.

Of course, those with more experience than I should chime in if I'm just being over cautious.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

I would just run one off the herpstat and then have the other thermostat run on its own the other rack. I wouldn't have the 2nd thermostat running off the herpstat.

As for temps, 88 is too warm for cornsnakes. Aim for a hot side of 80-82 and a cool side about 8-10 degrees lower. I used to have both in one rack, when I only had a couple of ball pythons. I never had a problem keeping temps correct in their cages.

Thanks

I wanted to run the thermostat off the herpstat because the Herpstat "Internal detection error shuts off heat if sensor fails or is disconnected". I think this may prevent accidental overheating?