Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,800

3 members and 2,797 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Underweight...

Thanks

Underweight...

i just got a ball python from a local petshop thats a lot underweight i just moved her in but she got a bath that removed all her stuck shed, now i dont know how long to wait to feed her she hasnt ate since easter and is only a baby... how long should i wait before trying?

thanks in advance for any helpadvice!

paul

Thanks

Re: Underweight...

Quote Originally Posted by Sadrapa View Post
    i just got a ball python from a local petshop thats a lot underweight i just moved her in but she got a bath that removed all her stuck shed, now i dont know how long to wait to feed her she hasnt ate since easter and is only a baby... how long should i wait before trying?

thanks in advance for any helpadvice!

paul
    Try now.......if she does not take, leave her alone for five days and try again.

Thanks

It's suggested U wait a week to let them settle in, but if it's a baby and hasn't eaten, I'd try in a few days.

Btwn the stuck shed, and the not eating, sounds like your baby may have a few issues. U may want to consider a quick, (and soon) vet appt. to check for parasites.

Good luck with your new pet!
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

will be taking her to vet soon wanted to see if i could get ehr settled first! thanks for your help will try feeding tonight and then leave her for a while before trying again! thanks again!

Thanks

will be taking her to vet soon wanted to see if i could get ehr settled first! thanks for your help will try feeding tonight and then leave her for a while before trying again! thanks again!
    Are you feeding f/t? Pre-sent the room!

Thanks

Because it is a pet store snake that was already suffering from the stores husbandry issues, I would make a vet appt (qualified herp vet) as soon as you can.
    I think I could not but help to try feeding her~ what is her weight? I would assume if she was young and underweight that a little rat fuzzy would be called for; but this is not definitive by any means! A picture and especially age and weight would go along way in this discussion

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

ill get a pic up asap just want her to settle in, i am feeding f/t but mice not rats because the petshops around me only sell adult rats, im trying to source younger ones at the mo, how does prescenting work if your using f/t?

i dont know her exact weight, but you can see her spine, also they didnt have her age just "baby"

sorry im not more help, i did research first but in the end my mother bought this guy out of sympathy because he was losing weight, but (s)hes quite active and is often moving around his/her viv!

Thanks

Feed dem snakes!

how does prescenting work if your using f/t?
    If your feeding frozen you want to thaw out the mouse leave it in the bag and soak it in warm tap water for 15 to 20 minutes. Take it out of the bag and lay near the tank the snake is in for a hour or two. I dry my mice off with a hair dryer in the room. This really gets the scent going! You can see the snake coming out of the hide getting excited!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

By quite active do you mean moving a lot, but at a slow relaxed looking pace? Or does it look more like "training for the snake olympics"? Also is it active during the day or only at night?

I've come to interpret the first as a secure feeling snake that might be out & about because it is hungry.

The second one, especially if it is out during the day, is more likely caused by stress. The best thing you can do for a stressed snake is to make sure it has snug hides available, then leave it alone (except for necessary stuff like giving it fresh water and taking it to the vet). If it is in a glass tank, or a more see-through tub, then covering the sides will help it feel more secure. Another great trick is to take balls of loosely crumpled newspaper and make a layer on the bottom of the enclosure. This will allow the snake to feel secure and hidden even when it comes out of its hides. Once the snake is settled in & eating, you can gradually remove the newspaper.

Also, you haven't posted details about your set-up. Make sure your temps and humidity are where they need to be!
    Casey

Thanks

If your feeding frozen you want to thaw out the mouse leave it in the bag and soak it in warm tap water for 15 to 20 minutes. Take it out of the bag and lay near the tank the snake is in for a hour or two. I dry my mice off with a hair dryer in the room. This really gets the scent going! You can see the snake coming out of the hide getting excited!
    well i thaw it out on top of his/her exoterra would that work? i think ill try the hair dryer idea!!!

By quite active do you mean moving a lot, but at a slow relaxed looking pace? Or does it look more like "training for the snake olympics"? Also is it active during the day or only at night?
    slow relaxed pace and the first day it was most of the day since then usually just in the evening (s)he's out climbing his fake plant or sitting on top of his hide in the warm spot.

also he has three hides(two exoterra and one bark thing) and the fake plant and some wood and a water bowl in the vivarium.

ill add some crumpled balls of newspaper now, thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast