Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,162

2 members and 3,160 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Question Crested gecko structure?

So I am slowly learning about crested, and would love to get one eventually, but for now I'm read and looking at all the pictures I can. My question is what makes for good or bad structure? I was lurking on a crested forum (I should probably ask this there but I know there are some crested people here) and I saw several pictures of some stunning geckos, but the people were talking about how poor it's structure was. I guess what I'm mostly asking for is a description or maybe pictures to show the difference? Thanks!! ^_^
    ~ Shannon

1.2 normal bp ~ Lilly (06) ~ Delilah (09) ~ Joey (06)
    1.0 cinnamon bp ~ Doughnut (08)
    1.0 mojave bp ~ Jay (08)
    0.1 pastel bp ~ Patsy (09)
    2.0 cats ~ Lil Bit (08) ~ Toby (08)

Thanks

Smile Re: Crested gecko structure?

What i look for in a cage will most likely be completely different that what you look so that might have been a nice cage for you just not them. For one crestie you are going to need a least a ten gallon tank turned vertically. Id recomend something at least 12 x 12 x 18 inches high. Those Exo-Terra cages look great but id rather make mine and have it exactly how i want it and not have to spend a ton of money. So let me get on with my ideal cage for one crestie. If i were to make one i'd like a 12in deep x 18in wide x 24in tall. It would all be out of 3/8 in plywood its durable and when i would get done with it it would be more than water proof. in the front it would have a 5 inch bedding blocker so when i open the door it wouldn't all come spilling out. The door would be made out of plexi glass with a wooden frame hopefully i could get it flush with the bedding blocker. The lid would be made of mesh again framed with wood so he/she would have great air flow. I would first paint the inside a solid forest green and the out side solid black two coats over everything. I would then seal it with polyuruethene. Since i live in a colder climate i would get a small 3 in piece of heat tape going a foot down from the top and it would be as far over to one side as i could get it hooked up to a rheostat set to go from 78 and so it never gets higher than 82. I'd probally only need it in the winter but heat tape isn't that expensive. I would add a nice large piece of wood or cork bark cocked at an angle for hide and climbing structure. If i could get one that is sturdy, safe, and fits id put one live plant in to help with humidity plus how ever many silk plants i could get in there as well. Id like to try making a live bedding so it would aid in breaking down poop and urates while keeping up the humidity i've been reading about for a little while now. It seems like you add some organic soil, sand, twigs, leaf litter, and some sphagnum moss and you can leave it in there for up to a year you just mix it up once in awhile. Has anyone here tried it? Anyways hopefully that helped. I have never owned a crestie but im sure it would thrive in that cage. Also i read a neat little trick in reptiles magazine that if you mix up your cgd ahead of time and put them in milk or water caps then freeze them you just take one out at a time and its fresh and ready to be eaten. Again never tried it but its sounds like a good idea.

Thanks

Re: Crested gecko structure?

Ah, thank you! Although I think I probably didn't word my original question very well...I was asking about the bone structure of an individual gecko. I can't really tell the difference in the pictures that I see since I haven't messed with many, but I have seen a couple that people said the wouldn't breed b/c of their structure, or that would breed more if it had a better structure. I'm just not sure what makes up a 'good structure' or what effect a bad structure has on a gecko.

Thanks for the help on the caging though. I think if/when I get cresteds I'll just go with a cage I can buy, but it does sound like it would be a neat thing to try to make ^_^
    ~ Shannon

1.0 mojave bp ~ Jay (08)

Thanks

Hi there,

Very good question.

When people (breeders) talk about 'good structure' it really depends what they consider 'desirable.' Generally speaking, the various morphs have certain physical attributes that they are classified by, and thus breeders strive to achieve the best example of those traits.

For example, ‘head structure’ is largely considered one of the most (if not the most) important aspects of the crested gecko, regardless of morph. The ‘crests’ give the crested gecko its name, so anything that accentuates them is generally a good thing. ‘Good head structure’ usually implies that the crests extend out from the head (width) and come to points, or near-points.

Geckos with ‘poor’ head structure are generally classified as having ‘weak’ or barely-visible points on their crests, or receded/non-existent crests. Few breeders would keep or breed such a crested gecko unless it possessed some other fantastic trait worth keeping in the gene pool of their collection. Much like any other privately bred species, geckos that are considered sub-par usually get sold to pet stores so the breeder can focus on the prized hold-backs.

When you deal with the individual defining traits of the various morphs, you will notice that people talk about percentages. For example, “80% pinstripe.” If somebody were interested in breeding Crested Geckos with full pinstripes, they would rather have a 90-100% pinstripe over an 80%, and thus would consider the higher-pinstriped gecko to be superior in their estimation. Generally speaking, gecko morphs that exhibit excellence in their defining traits have prices that reflect that perfection! A 60% pinstripe is going to cost a lot less than a full 90-100%.

Gecko Breeders are people just like anybody else, and most have certain preferences for what they consider ‘ideal’ in the overall physical structure of their geckos. I know one breeder who is very fond of large lizards and is working to breed larger crested geckos. Although he is still interested in maintaining good colors and morphs, he also emphases size when choosing what geckos to breed. Another breeder (now retired) considered stout and stocky crested geckos his personal ‘ideal’ and his bloodline reflects that.

When buying from a private breeder, it is always good to find out what they consider ‘ideal’ and then weigh it against your own beliefs. There are many breeders out there, so I advise you to take your time and find the right one. I know it can be a little overwhelming at first, but in my experience, people who love their animals enough to devote the time, effort and energy to breeding them are eager to talk about their passion and share their knowledge. Their enthusiasm is often infectious!

Here is a link to a very good Crested Gecko resource site: www.ciliatus.com/

I hope this helps!
    This above all: to thine own self be true,
    And it must follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man.

Thanks

Thanks! I had kinda forgotten about this post....I go through phases of research on the different animals that I would eventaually like to get. I can't get any more animals just yet, so I go through burst of research every once in a while to satisfy me wanting them

I figured the structure had something to do with the individual breeder, but I didn't know that about the crests. I would love to find someone or some place near by so I could see the geckos in person....it's so much easier than pictures. The one or two times I have seen cresteds it's been at a show, and they (understandably) don't just let you handle their animals unless you are a potential buyer (I so wish I was )

Thanks again for taking the time to type that up! ^_^
    ~ Shannon

1.0 mojave bp ~ Jay (08)