Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,296

2 members and 3,294 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: On the dog trip again.. possible pitbull

I was wondering though. Is it so bad to keep a dog in a mudroom during the day when you're not home? I know that people crate their dogs. I didn't see any real difference, save for a larger area. I am only talking about fully housebroken dogs. Since I know that the reason many won't "go" in their crates, is b/c they don't want to soil their small den area. I figured that, the mudroom being a safe, comfortable and warm/cool area. Normally he would be kept in the outdoor run that's fenced-in with shelter access. And when I am home, he'd be with me in the house
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

I'm a huge fan on crate training! NONE of my four pits EVER give me a troubles over their crate. In fact they actually get excited when its time "do your thing"

Saying "do your thing" means crate time, and they get just as excited over that as they do over "peepeepoopoo"

Of course they always get a doggie treat after they get in their crates.

The mudroom idea sounds like it could work, just remember a bored dog can be a destructive dog, and pits can do some damage when bored.

Pitbulls are awesome pets, loyal companions, and completely full of love. I honestly would never own another breed. Good luck on whichever doggie you choose though Jen!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ginevive View Post
    I was wondering though. Is it so bad to keep a dog in a mudroom during the day when you're not home? I know that people crate their dogs. I didn't see any real difference, save for a larger area. I am only talking about fully housebroken dogs. Since I know that the reason many won't "go" in their crates, is b/c they don't want to soil their small den area. I figured that, the mudroom being a safe, comfortable and warm/cool area. Normally he would be kept in the outdoor run that's fenced-in with shelter access. And when I am home, he'd be with me in the house
    I have the sweetest suck of pit-bull in the world, you can have her lol. I feel bad because my mom is always stressed out by the dog constantly following her around the house (especially when cooking) and I am not home very often to help with her. I am sure my mom will keep her for many years, but I still feel bad sometimes.

Anyway, as for the mudroom, I personally don't see any cruelty in keeping the dog there, as long as your not gone for like half a day with him in there. My dog has a humongous cage inside my house which we keep her in if we leave for an hour or two (she chews and destroys everything in sight ), and other than that she stays in the back room of my house which is more than big enough with her own twin sized bed (and she will chew that on occasion too).

If it were totally up to me, I would give her to someone that could train her better and give her more attention, but my mom loves the dog. We have 2 acres with a line that runs across the back yard which she spends a lot of time in.

Overall I have to say that the maximum amount of space you can give a dog is ideal, as well as the maximum amount of company, so as long as you feel that you can provide both, go for it!
    1.0 Normal Ball Python- Little Dude
    0.0.1 Albino Kingsnake - Weiner
    Missi

Thanks

Get a dogo. Talk about loyalty. They're like big pits, except they won't back down while protecting their owner, unlike pits, and they could rip a pit apart like a rag doll. Plus you can take them hunting for small or large game without a gun. Two dogos and a hunting knife and you're good for anything the forest can throw.
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks

Many people will not accept the wear and tear and dirt that a large dog brings in the house and keeping a dog limited to an entry area of the house is done all the time by many people successfully every day. While I myself give my dogs the run of the house I know many people that take great pride in the nice condition of their home and will not. It is not terrible to do that. A dog that gets to come inside in the winter and is always within earshot of its family hasn't got it so bad. People that find that to be a bad life for a dog should come to the City of Detroit and see all the dogs that I have seen through out my former career that are kept outside on a short chain in the cold winter with no shelter and in the summer with no shade or water, tossed dry food every now and then without having any human companionship, sometimes tortured by having no collar, just a chain around it's neck that isn't expanded as the dog grows, ultimately to be abandoned when the family moves. If you want to provide a home for a dog. Go for it! I don't believe that you would neglect its husbandry with the animal experience that I am aware of you having.
    Do not resuscitate

Thanks

Thanks for your posts! I have seen the sad side of dog ownership, Dale. In Buffalo; we used to do property management, and you'd see poor pits and rotties (mostly) tied to someone's porch railing with a tipped-over water dish, no food or shade.. and in the winter, no shelter. The SPCA has a running lineup of these dogs; I mostly see pits, shepherd/rott/lab mixes. The "people" that "own" them can't even keep themselves and their kids fed and clothed and living well.. much less their dogs I plan on the dog that I get, to be from a rescue/adoption situation.
    My dad just informed me Sunday, that my aunt runs a dog rescue. I never knew; we don't really communicate, but she's a great lady from what I remember from her. Something I am looking into.
    Missi; wish I could take your dog, from the sound of it!
    Susan; your dogs are awesome!
    Wallace; I looked up dago dogs; they look like muscular beasts! Definately my kinda dog.

Now.. the husband issue. My husband is not fully against getting a dog. But he just sees dogs in a bad light, because we have a friend that rescues dogs, and I admit that at her place it gets a little crazy. As in, dogs running amok (she fosters them and therefore doesn't have them long but always has a rotating menangerie.) And my mom's dogs. I trained her lab mix.. but she has effectively untrained him by getting a second dog when I moved out, that had no training, and she is a pushover with her dogs. I try to work with them when I visit, but I guess that it all gets undone after I leave A nice thing happened Sunday; one of our friends brought her border collie over. This dog was trained to a tee in agility; she even got him to leap through our tire swing! And my hubby said "wow; now THAT is a dog I would want!" Not so much the breed; I know that BCs are HIGH energy. But he saw that there are trained dogs out there. Sadly my husband thinks that a dog that we'd get, would be messing the house up, peeing in our bed.. pooping everywhere.. this is what he sees in others' dogs. But I would NOT let this happen.
    Ball pythons:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons View Post
    Ehh i am not scared remember i am a pit lover and a snake lover also .Sorry Jen lets see some pics of that girl you are watching
    Sadie her lineage is up for grabs.
    Ball pythons:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

I do not take crap from dogs I am not a pushover who lets a dog walk all over them. I trained my mom's golden/terrier mix so dog training is not something new to me. I also train horses (not professionally or anything; just my two at home) and I know that an animal will test you!
    See, I am quiet and rather reserved around humans. But I am definately not like that with animals.
    Uumm you are scaring me
    Joe Haggard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Sadie her lineage is up for grabs.
    She kinda looks like my Zues who is Staff/pit mix .She looks like a sweet loving pup
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Boo! Sorry I didn't mean to scare you
    I think that she does have some pit in her. She's an awesome dog and I wish that he'd just get tired of her and leave her here
    Ball pythons:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast