Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,352

1 members and 3,351 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: On the dog trip again.. possible pitbull

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons View Post
    Sorry to break it to you but the dog was probably cold and YOU were keeping it warm
    Yanno, I AM one of those ladies that could beat ya down...LOL

*blink blinks* I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.....

SEEEE????

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OhBalls View Post
    Yanno, I AM one of those ladies that could beat ya down...LOL

*blink blinks* I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.....

SEEEE????
    Ehh i am not scared remember i am a pit lover and a snake lover also .Sorry Jen lets see some pics of that girl you are watching
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Jen, really think long about this dog. You have a husband whose not very interested in having a dog, let alone a big, intact male from a breed that while not deserving of the reptuation they have, is a breed that requires a strong leadership role from its humans. If your husband isn't into having this dog, you may find they have a lot of trouble living "together" since the dog is going to pick up on that in a flat second.

Also you have a cat and this dog isn't used to cats. Many dogs have a natural hunt instinct and dear, no matter how you try, they are going to run into each other. No one can be perfect in keeping a dog and cat apart (well maybe they can but gawd I wouldn't want the stress of trying it). If I had a cat I loved I wouldn't be bringing in any dog, let alone an larger adult intact male dog, without making absolutely sure he was cat safe. I grew up with very big, very intact GSDs. One was NOT cat safe. It was never easy dealing with that and he did manage once to kill a cat despite every effort to never let him near cats.

As far as confining a dog solely to a mud room or dog run, I personally couldn't do that. Dogs are pack driven, they need more interaction and stimulation than life basically living by themselves can give them. If you're wanting him as a guard dog, think about it - how effective is a guard dog if he's locked away while the bad guy is breaking in the front door?

I'm certainly not saying to not give this dog a home. I'm just saying that there are issues here to really think long and hard about whether this is the right dog for your family or the right time for a dog.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

if you're gona get a pitbull, get the devil's den american bully!!! those monsters are awesome!!!!
    raymond

Thanks

Man am I bummed. Mark called his cousin today and it turns out that he took the dog to the Spca.. yesterday. He said something about how they have 60 days to find him a home or he gets euthed. Something about his cousin being able to take him home after the 60 days instead of him being put down... I am so depressed about this. He is an awesome dog; a tractable one whose life I can trace to puppyhood, being only ever owned by his cousin. They couldn't keep him because they have a baby who's beginning to toddle around and he was stealing their toddler's food because, while he respects adults and does Not steal adults' food (I know this from sitting right next to him with a plate of food; he did not even beg.) But the baby's outstretched hand with cheerios or something is too much for the dog to resist, and it was just getting to be too much for them I guess.
    He was crate trained. He spent days in his crate, and was let-out to go in the yard and when they were home he could roam the house. I figured that being in the mudroom would be similar to being in a crate while we weren't home, but with a larger area.. and I do know that the thing with the cat is a hit or miss. I am not sure how he'd be with cats; he could be horrible, or he could love cats and want to play. My mom added a cat to her household (2 large-breed dogs with retriever and GSD blood) and things went fine; she had it where the cat could retreat over a baby-gate into a bedroom if he felt threatened. Now the cat bosses her dogs around!
    Bummer; my landlord just pulled down the driveway.. goodbye Sadie. I am back to getting home nights without anyone to be glad that I am here I guess.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Tried to give you good karma Jo, but it says I need to spread it around more first. I can't think of a thing to add to your post, it was dead on.
    1.1 crazy dogs
    4.3 even crazier cats
    2.2 bps
    2.0 Off Track Thoroughbreds
    0.3 human kids
    1.0 Boyfriend who puts up with the craziness

Thanks

Mark is bummed too now. Seems like he does want a dog. Man, I hope that they don't find some reason to put him down, as unadoptable. I tried
    Ball pythons:

Thanks

i have two pits myself and i would highly reccomend one.ps if you do get one try to go to a shelter to get one they have some that are really just for pits. i know theres one here in chicago but im not sure where your located

Thanks

if you want to get a pit or any other big assertive breed, you first have to ask yourself what kind of personality you are, if you are timid, shy,quiet, etc, a pit or rotti, big dog in general is NOT for you, as has been said, dogs are pack animals and they will test you on where they stand in the hierarchy of the pack, if he feels your not standing up to your end of the bargain of being boss, he will show you who is, i've had big dogs for 25 years, everything from mastiffs, danes,sheperds,labs, they need a leader, last thing you want is a 125 lb dog ruling the roost.

Thanks

I do not take crap from dogs I am not a pushover who lets a dog walk all over them. I trained my mom's golden/terrier mix so dog training is not something new to me. I also train horses (not professionally or anything; just my two at home) and I know that an animal will test you!
    See, I am quiet and rather reserved around humans. But I am definately not like that with animals.
    Ball pythons:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast