Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,273

1 members and 3,272 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

On the dog trip again.. possible pitbull

Warning: novel-length post!!
    I am thinking of getting a dog. My husband is pretty aggreeable, mostly because he is not home much of the time that I am. See, I have been dog-sitting our landlord's dog (pitbull mix) for the past week, and it makes me want to cry knowing that she's going to go back home Sunday! I have been taking her for walks.. been greeted when I pull down the drive (she's in a dog run. But still, happy jumping, tail wagging, etc.) None of my other animals do this; make me feel joyful to be home, like they want me there. Sure, my cat greets me at the door and nuzzles my ankles till I feed him. And the horses stand expectantly at the gate waiting on their evening hay. But do they do backflips and run and chase a stick and be very interactive? No
    It turns out that, after thinking about it for awhile, Mark's cousin wants to find a new home for his pitbull male. He is a gorgeous dog; huge head, nice colors (I believe he is blue-ish colored; maybe black, it escapes me now.) I also think that he has papers for him; I know that he is not neutered and is at least 2-3 years old. He is trained awesomely; actually crate-trained, but I would rather leave him in the back mud-room or in the dog run; still a contained area and I would never let him run off leash, except maybe in the fenced paddock.)
    Not to mention, he is a big ball of goo He is really friendly and used-to people, kids, other dogs. Now not cats.. we have a cat and I doubt that he's ever seen one..
    Which brings me to this. I know that many people disdain people that own dogs and don't let them live side-by-side with them in-house. But is it so bad to have a dog that's kept in a large (30 x 15) fenced run with doghouse, and at night, in a heated mudroom with a nice dog bed? See, I know that my cat would get majorly stressed, and I love him and can't put him thru cohabbing with a dog; just can't. But we are doing fine with the dog now staying in the mudroom; cat hardly knows she's there.
    Your thoughts? I am thinking of talking to Jim (Mark's cuz) about doing a trial where we could bring him home for, say, a week. I am not sure if he's a barker; I know that he barks ferociously when people are at the door! But this is a good thing for a watchdog IMO.
    I was thinking down the road. Maybe I don't want to neuter him? He seems fine as an intact male, and maybe down the road if he is papered, I could sell stud service? I have experience with unneutered male dogs; I used to take care of my landlord's last 2 males that were not fixed, confined, and one was used for stud (rottie.)
    Thanks!
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Re: On the dog trip again.. possible pitbull

I am so bummed. I was just out there playing with her, and I get tears in my eyes, knowing that she is not mine and she'll go back home Sunday. I get so lonely sometimes being around the house.. All of my other animals are not interactive like a dog is.
    My husband is not really crazy on the idea of getting a dog. He is irritated by bad dog behavior and really has no time for one. But I am the one that mans the fort here and takes care of 90% of the animal duties. And yet I am unhappy. I love all of my animals but none of them act the way a dog does.
    Argh! Sorry for my teary rant but I just needed to vent
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Awwww no need for tears.....all dogs need to be "bad dogs", just like a kid....and let me tell you something, hubby will soon learn to smile at one or two of these 'misgivings'

we picked up this dog from hurricane Katrina (OK "I" picked up this dog...lol)...I fully expected to find the owners and just wanted to help give him a nice place to stay....well...we still have the little ankle biter and I love him to pieces (always liked BIG dogs...grew up with Danes)....when the sig. other comes home, he greets this Jack Russell (the one he didn't want to get) before he greets me!!!!....He even tells the dog to Stop jumping on "Daddy's" lap...

....a mud room would be nice to help train (outside trains or paper train) but it's no place to house a dog.........knowing the little i know of YOU....I don't think you could leave him there either....the 'gooey baby eyes' WILL get you and you WILL give in....soon he'll be sleeping in the bed

not that MY dog does that

As far as kitty goes....that all depends on the dog...i have ALWAYS has both....even the Danes thought they were lower in the pack than the cats....I have three cats now and a Jack Russell...only one of the cats LIKES the dog (playes with him)..the other two simply growl and the dog knows to move along...

it can be done...you can have your dog....even hubby can deal with a dog that is already housebroken, used to cats and will toss him those "looooove me eyes"

Most shelters will let you "test drive" a dog....give it a shot!

wow....sorry for the long post, but I hope it helps!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ginevive View Post
    I am so bummed. I was just out there playing with her, and I get tears in my eyes, knowing that she is not mine and she'll go back home Sunday. I get so lonely sometimes being around the house.. All of my other animals are not interactive like a dog is.
    My husband is not really crazy on the idea of getting a dog. He is irritated by bad dog behavior and really has no time for one. But I am the one that mans the fort here and takes care of 90% of the animal duties. And yet I am unhappy. I love all of my animals but none of them act the way a dog does.
    Argh! Sorry for my teary rant but I just needed to vent
    Jen i have had 2 pits before(with ex now ) and if i ever get another dog it will be a PIT .They are very loyal and will protect there owners and then some .My male (zues) was a staff/pit mix and he thought he was a lap dog.Now picture a 80lb+ dog setting on your lap giving you love .We had him trained to where we would "fight" and when he would grab your arm if you said owwee he would barely bite down.If you do get that pit i DEMAND PICS ASAP
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OhBalls View Post
    the 'gooey baby eyes' WILL get you and you WILL give in....soon he'll be sleeping in the bed
    Yea she(jen) will sleep in the mud room
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Any dog that I have ever had gets the run of the house. I do have big dogs and they do wear on the inside of a house which I can understand that some people couldn't accept. My opinion is that a dog considers separation from the pack as the worst punishment that can befall it. If you keep a dog outside in a kennel or dog run alone it will feel isolated and outcast. If you have 2 dogs kept like this they fare much better. One dog would be more content living in a crate in your house or in your mud room and being near you. This is an observation that I have made by having had dogs all my life and being in the 1.6 percent age group on this site.
    Do not resuscitate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons View Post
    Yea she(jen) will sleep in the mud room
    Nawwww...yanno, guys WILL sleep in the same bed wit the pup....really.....ask my guy....once he recovers...LOL....just kidding

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsirkle View Post
    Any dog that I have ever had gets the run of the house. I do have big dogs and they do wear on the inside of a house which I can understand that some people couldn't accept. My opinion is that a dog considers separation from the pack as the worst punishment that can befall it. If you keep a dog outside in a kennel or dog run alone it will feel isolated and outcast. If you have 2 dogs kept like this they fare much better. One dog would be more content living in a crate in your house or in your mud room and being near you. This is an observation that I have made by having had dogs all my life and being in the 1.6 percent age group on this site.
    I have never had more fun then telling my dog that "mommies cold" and having him PoUncE on the couch....hey, I would LOVE to believe that he does it cuz he loves me and not because he's a member of a pack......hehehe...i know i know...but the big question is....am "I" in that 1.6 percent?...LOL...

Thanks

Nawwww...yanno, guys WILL sleep in the same bed wit the pup....really.....ask my guy....once he recovers...LOL....just kidding
    I will be nice and not comment any further as i might get beat up by the ladies here
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

I have never had more fun then telling my dog that "mommies cold" and having him PoUncE on the couch....hey, I would LOVE to believe that he does it cuz he loves me and not because he's a member of a pack......hehehe...i know i know...but the big question is....am "I" in that 1.6 percent?...LOL...
    Sorry to break it to you but the dog was probably cold and YOU were keeping it warm
    Joe Haggard

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast