Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,324

0 members and 3,324 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Help Please Etb Not Eating

I have a 2 year old captive born emerald tree boa that is not eating. Its been about a month and I know they dont feed very often but this male just doesnt seem intersted. I have tried it all maybe theres a secret. He deficated about 2weeks ago. I have tried ft mice, ft rats, i have tried live rats and live mice. I have tried prey that is a lot smaller then him. I have tried feeding from tongs and just putting the prey inside the cage. What am I missing please any feedback will help me

Thanks for looking and thanks for the help
    Danny

Thanks

Re: Help Please Etb Not Eating

Danny, I have limited experience with emeralds but I see this as a general issue with many species of snakes. In my experience it is not uncommon for snakes, especially males, to go off feed as they become sexually mature. As long as the snake remains healthy and doesn't have any signs of rapid weight loss then this is a natural process and when it is ready it will begin to feed again.

The best advice I can offer is to leave your emerald alone for about 2 weeks and then offer him the type of food item that he has been feeding on before he started his fast. If he still refuses then wait a week or two and try again and continue that proccess and eventually he will get hungry and begin feeding again. This proccess could last a couple of months with minimal wieght loss and is usually just a test of a keepers patientce. However, if there is a drastic wieght loss during the fast then there could something wrong with him and you should have a vet check him out.

The main thing is to be patient and stick with his regular prey item. You can make the situation worse and stress him out by constantly offering food when he is not in the mood. Good luck, and post an update when he gets back on track - Kevin

Thanks

Kevin,

First off thank you for your help and i have heard of snakes doing this I have just not experienced it. I think this is what is happening though. I will just have to be patient like you said and offer it to him in a couple of weeks. Thank you for your help and input

Danny Sherrill
    Texasviproom.com

Thanks

Well male emeralds don't usually become sexually mature until they reach 4-5 years. They also aren't usually sexually active when spring pops around. Breeding season is generally late October through mid Feb and you usually have to "cycle" them to get them in the mood. How are your DTH temps and humidity, as well as your NTL's? Are you turning all heat sources off when you attempt feeding?

Emeralds are excellent at hiding symptoms of problems. Have you noticed any strange breathing noises or liquid from the nostrils or mouth? Does he go into hunting mode at night or stay coiled?

Craig
    Emeralds are real Gems!