Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,150

2 members and 3,148 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Thanks

Re: Artificial inseminaton for ball pythons?

Quote Originally Posted by darkbloodwyvern View Post
    Monozygotic twins have all the same genes, but they aren't ever EXACTLY alike, just very similar. The same kinds of genes can get expressed in different ways. They can both have the same gene, but it may be "ON" in one twin and "OFF" in the other, which will result in slight or even extreme differences in appearance. I had twins for roommates and I could always tell them apart, one was taller and had a thinner face. At a distance it was hard to tell, but close up it was pretty obvious who was who. Some twins look more alike than they do, but there are always going to be differences.
    I'd bet you could get low, 50% and high white pieds from a clone of the same animal.
    I agree. Developmental biology is very interesting. Just because two animals have identical genotypes does not mean their phenotypes will be identical. The way phenotypes are expressed can be affected by many factors including the environment.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dacalio View Post
    I agree. Developmental biology is very interesting. Just because two animals have identical genotypes does not mean their phenotypes will be identical. The way phenotypes are expressed can be affected by many factors including the environment.
    I remember many years ago reading about some scientists who had cloned a cow. If I remember the article correctly, what they had done was typical IVF, then somehow divided the embryo before implanting it/them back in the mother(s). I have no idea if that is how cloning is always done, but anyway...

the article focused on how shocked the scientists were when the 2 cows came out with DIFFERENT patterns in their black & white spots.
    Casey

Thanks

I can say, i have never seen it work (Artificial) (or tried with ball pythons) but my girlfriend who owns Calico Dragons, did it earlier this year with dragons. I was laughing when she said it would work... She had the last laugh since it did. She hatched them out a few months ago. It was a smaller clutch but it definately worked. Basically the dragon missed and went on the females leg, she sucked it up with a syringe and put it in the right place...

Last year she took it straight from the male when he was breeding a different female and did the same thing... pretty cool!

Maybe i will get her to try it next year with a ball. I could pop one and let her try it and let you all know how it goes.

Ps. i didnt read the whole thread just the first few and thats where my comment came from...
    Jon Dvoretz
    Next World Exotics
    www.nextworldexotics.com

Home of the "Hunters Guide to the Morphs"
    www.nextworldexotics.com/hg.htm

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NextWorldExotics View Post
    Basically the dragon missed and went on the females leg, she sucked it up with a syringe and put it in the right place...
    Sorry but this part made me laugh so hard...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NextWorldExotics View Post
    Basically the dragon missed and went on the females leg, she sucked it up with a syringe and put it in the right place...
    I got a kick out of this one too....LOL

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345