Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,163

1 members and 3,162 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

School help, PLEASE look!!!

I have to write three research papers in as many weeks. Two of them, well, no problem, I pretty much have them nailed...the third I'm really struggling with.

I need a topic and a thesis. I can either do it on Truman Capote's "In Cold Blood" or "Breakfast at Tiffany's".

I am at a total loss on what to do here....does anyone have any suggestions? Any at all? I've read them both, and would prefer "In Cold Blood", but I'm open to ANY options!!!
    A few fish tanks...55/30/20L/10/3/2/2/2
    Bearded Dragon- "Lieutenant Dan"
    Chinese Water Dragon- "Josha" <possible second on the way>
    Burmese Python- <Kitana>
    Ball Python- <Aiden>
    Doberman Pinscher- "Master Chief"
    Heinz 57 variety pup- "Missy Mess"
    Chinchilla- "Chi-Chi"
    Cockatiel- "Honey"
    Bobtail cat- "Kit Kat"

Thanks

Re: School help, PLEASE look!!!

Go with In Cold Blood, I loved that book. Its always better to write about what you like too, and if you prefer that book it would probably be easier to write about

What type of topic do you need? Is it like a book report? I have only taken ENG101 and ENG102 in college, and took all my English classes in night school when I was in high school, so I haven't done a book report since 5th grade but I could try to help with topics since I've read the book before.

Thanks

I'm in the middle of a paper crisis myself. I haven't read either of those novels, but I will say it's always easier to do something you enjoyed. Have you spoken with your professor about it? Whenever I'm stuck I go in for a meeting with my professor and just tell him/her straight up: I'm having trouble finding a topic for this paper.

They've always been more than willing to brainstorm with me and let me know what they think will or won't be a good paper. I would try to meet up with yours for a discussion. Just be ready to answer questions like, "what, exactly, did you like about the novel?" They will ask you things to help you narrow stuff down.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help, but without reading the novels I can't make suggestions. Symbolism and Character Analysis are always two good places to start... *shrug*

Thanks

Capote for sure.

Facebook.com/ToValhallaReptiles
    Instagram.com/ToValhallaReptiles

Thanks

Wow, I sure WISH it was just a report!!! I was thinking maybe the nature vs. nurture aspect, and how Perry came to be the way he is, but I don't know....

This is a Southern Literature class, 3000 level English. The Professor isn't really that great at helping me. He is very vague, and I need to narrow it down more. Like I mentioned, that's a personal hang-up of mine....once I get started, however, I can run with it.

Someone on the chicken forum gave me a great idea for "Breakfast at Tiffany's", but I just think I like "Blood" better!!!!
    Burmese Python- <Kitana>
    Ball Python- <Aiden>
    Chinchilla- "Chi-Chi"
    Cockatiel- "Honey"
    Bobtail cat- "Kit Kat"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amystours View Post
    Someone on the chicken forum gave me a great idea for "Breakfast at Tiffany's", but I just think I like "Blood" better!!!!
    Someone on the...chicken? forum?

/me checks Amy's signature. No chickens.

Anyway... I haven't read either of those, so I can't give you specific ideas. As others said, usually it is best to go with what you enjoyed. You might be able to do well with a "why I didn't like this book" type of thing, but that is dependent on knowing how your professor will receive it. Also, it depends on why you enjoyed one more than the other. If you just didn't like the writing style, you probably won't get far with that. But if you didn't like the ending, and can come up with good reasons (characters didn't act like themselves, etc), that could be fun to write and come across very well.

While this shouldn't be true, the best way to get a good grade is to know what your professor likes to see. You should be able to have a good idea of this from sitting in class, even if he isn't helpful in talking to you one on one. Does he talk mostly about symbolism? Characters? Plot? Comparing & contrasting 2 different works? Does he point out things that don't quite "work"? Or is he more in the "these are classics, they are perfect" mode?

Don't be afraid to start writing your paper when you have no idea what you are going to say. Some professors will be very accepting of a well thought out, well written paper that has a conclusion which is basically "I have no idea". Even if you feel your professor isn't one of those, the writing process itself will often clarify things for you or give you ideas about an entirely different subject which may make a better paper.
    Casey

Thanks

[QUOTE=kc261;760287]Someone on the...chicken? forum?

/me checks Amy's signature. No chickens. QUOTE]

Yup, I got some biddies about two months ago, they've grown to that ugly "juvie" stage, but it was just an experiment, I've actually started to really enjoy them!!! Not to mention I'll have fresh eggs in about another month or two. No, the chickens aren't for Kitana. She had a biddie before, but that was just to see if she would take it. He had a gimp leg anyway and the others were picking on him, he wouldn't have made it anyway, no matter how hard I tried....ANYWAY, had to find some help on them, and their forum is tons of fun, just like this one!!

Okay, back on topic....my professor is one of those that digs deep, to find "messages" in the books....he says he'll help anyone, but he's very vague, doesn't really help at all, but I don't want to tell him that. I just kinda go, Oh, okay! and go on with it.
    Burmese Python- <Kitana>
    Ball Python- <Aiden>
    Chinchilla- "Chi-Chi"
    Cockatiel- "Honey"
    Bobtail cat- "Kit Kat"