Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,877

4 members and 2,873 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

View Poll Results: can a python tell whos its owner?

Voters
208. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

169 81.25%
  • no

39 18.75%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks

Talking Re: can a python tell whos its owner is?

I think they can as well as other herps. All of mine listed here that are currently in my care ( other than the females on order which are still a couple weeks out from being ready ) know when it's me. When I get home from work they greet me the same way my dog does. When my room mate gets home my dog greets her but my herps don't. With me they stick their heads and then come to the doors of thier cages to say hi and be taken out. Even the spotted does which I have "trained" to my schedule ( 23:00 to 07:00 ) will come out during our day time wanting to be played with. Which they are known for being nocturnally active and then when I go to bed Spot goes back in the cave. I know he/she probably and most likely comes out when I am sleeping though. King my 4.5 to 5 foot pastel male bci wants nothing to do with my room mate but he will lay in bed ( for as long as I let him which is upto 3 hrs or when ever I am done unwinding from work ) with his body streched out opposite to how I am laying and just rest his head on my chest or stomach depending on what he feels like. Damien, Monte, Jessi, Lestat and Marius all seem to respond in similar ways as King does but they are a little more exploritive then he is at times. None of them like going back "home". Damien will not let anybody but me take him out of his cage. Both him and Monte I took in about 3.5 yrs ago when my cousin moved out of state and as I said if my room mate or one of my friends tries to take him out him has no problem striking at them (none of these people are strangers to him they all had contact with him at my cousins house). That being said I think they not only know and can tell thier owner but are not as mindless as a majority of people like to think.

My Collection:
    1.1 Normal BP (Monte, Damien)
    0.0.1 Spotted Python (Spot)
    2.1 BCI (King, Jessi, Lestat) 0.2 more ordered
    1.0 BCC (Surinam Red Tail) (Marius) looking for the right 0.1 for him
    1.1 Savannah Monitor ( Grumpy, Snow)
    0.1 Northern Australian Blue Tongue Skink (Rosey )
    Last edited by dshuld; 05-01-2008 at 04:33 AM. Reason: to add

Thanks

Re: can a python tell whos its owner is?

I voted no. I have a spider that will never hesitate to bite me. I took to my fav LPS to breed to one of their females and the pet shop owner handled him without so much as a strike...

I handle the spider pretty often, granted I work two jobs, and have a family (but take care of my pets!) but was just amazed to see him calm down like that in another persons hands. Maybe its because I am expecting to be bit that I am bitten? Who knows.

The only reason I voted no is because I don't think they really know who the owner is, I think its more along the lines of if the snake is ok with the person (maybe they smell me expecting the bite). But I have been bitten as well from a calmer snake!?!? Sorry to base this off bites, but I mean, thats like their love right?!?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Addict View Post
    I voted no. I have a spider that will never hesitate to bite me. I took to my fav LPS to breed to one of their females and the pet shop owner handled him without so much as a strike...

I handle the spider pretty often, granted I work two jobs, and have a family (but take care of my pets!) but was just amazed to see him calm down like that in another persons hands. Maybe its because I am expecting to be bit that I am bitten? Who knows.

The only reason I voted no is because I don't think they really know who the owner is, I think its more along the lines of if the snake is ok with the person (maybe they smell me expecting the bite). But I have been bitten as well from a calmer snake!?!? Sorry to base this off bites, but I mean, thats like their love right?!?
    mayb he knows ur the owner and doesn't like you...lol
    DOesn't make sense for him to bite u and not another person

If u said he bites u and everybody else. then u can say no they don't recognize the owner

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by giaach View Post
    It seems that after handling them trust is established between the snake and the owner. Kingsley will let me pet his head or move him around without a problem: something he seems a little more apprehensive of when other people try.

my 2 cents
    Same here... When my husband holds him he seems ball up more often and shies away from his hand... when my 3 yr old son holds him he tries to slither away real fast... with me hes adventurous but calm, lets me touch his head, face, etc with no problems whatsoever... I wish we could know what exactly goes on in their little heads

Thanks

Yes! He's the one holding the rat!
    Laurie

Thanks

Hiyo, here's my point of view. Do I think snakes know the difference between people? Yes. Do I think they favor people over another? Yes, but it has an addendum.

Like others have said many times over... the scent, movements, pressure, heat, vibrations, and finally how the person feels while handling them all affect how the snake feels about being held by each person.

Someone who is inexperienced may not hold the snake the same way as someone who has done it many times and instinctively holds the snake properly.

Someone who is nervous about holding the snake will affect the snake; just as someone who is confident and unafraid will often make the snake feel more secure.

Practiced hands are quick, reassuring, steady, and act almost instinctively. They don't hesitate, and are moving the snake in a way to hold him best.

Someone who is unfamiliar with how snakes move may find themselves trying to hold the animal back or stopping them from moving, rather than supporting the snake properly while they squirm and slither in such a way that the snake never leaves.

Again, I think it all takes practice.

This goes for all animals. I spend a lot of time with the rats. I can hold them differently and more effectively than Chris does. I have more practice. I would love to see him try to give them a bath without injuring them!

practice, practice, and practice.

Thanks

I would say yes- all of my snakes act really shy when other people are holding them-especially when it's someone they've never 'met' before, where as with m they do what they want and are never scared. lol
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow
    1.0 Harliquin Great Dane, Gambit
    0.2 Cats, Mojo-Jojo and Rebel
    A hubby that isn't a fan of reptiles but is learning to love them, and a baby girl named Eve 😊❤

Thanks

I voted yes.

When I handle him he always holds his head up and immediately wants to start looking around, but when others have handled him he stays balled up. When he does finally uncurl he seems to want to come back to me right away, and will only be relaxed if I'm near.

There is also the fact that I can sometimes 'read' him. What I mean is, I'll knock on his hide to let him know I'm there, but when I pick it up I can sort of just 'tell' if he is in the mood to be picked up or not. If not, then I just leave him alone. Whether that has anything to do with this poll or not I'll let you decide.

So, again, my vote is a firm 'yes.'
    This above all: to thine own self be true,
    And it must follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man.

Thanks

That snakes have a small ability to "learn" has been researched and theorically proven (darn, can't remember the link).

Have any of you had escapes? If you have, have you noticed that your snake keeps going back to that weak area to try again? This is evidence that they retain some memory.

Therefore, my vote goes to..."Yes." It's possible that they do know who we are but not in the context of "ownership."

btw: if your bp is always biting you..it's possible that, "He's just not that into you."

"Price has very little to do with QUALITY. Quality stands on its own merit and doesn't need a hefty price tag to prove its worth."

Thanks

i think it is rather sad when people try to put their emotional wants onto an animal that in reality could care less if they were no longer around, as long as that animals needs are met.

this is emotional need that humans have, is the same reason why they drag their snakes out in public, to the ocean, to walmart, etc etc.

i wish people would put the animals actual needs first, then their own emotional needs second.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast