Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,322

0 members and 3,322 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Touchy Touchy....

So I get Slinky out a few times a week to hold him until he gets tired of it. He's getting better when I get him out. He used to stay curled up for several minutes before he would stretch out and get curious. Now hes almost immediately looking around. He's still very touchy about his head and I know they are but it kind of scares me when he does this. He'll be 'exploring' and accidentally bump into my hand or finger with his head and freak out, jump back and coil up. I figured he wouldn't be so jumpy if it was his fault for moving into me, but I was wrong! lol

I just dont want him to still be doing this when he gets bigger. It scares me now and makes me jump.. i can only imagine when he gets to be adult size and he flips like that. Has anyone had experience with this and do you think he'll grow out of it?

Thanks

Re: Touchy Touchy....

Furio does the same thing. Nothing to be alarmed of, sometimes they run into things they didn't expect and it scares them a little.

I've had Furio in my hand sitting at my computer and he stretches out exploring and runs into the wall and hisses at it.

I wouldn't sweat it if I were you. It'll happen.

Hope this helps.

Facebook.com/ToValhallaReptiles
    Instagram.com/ToValhallaReptiles

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by V1L3 DiaL3cT View Post
    I've had Furio in my hand sitting at my computer and he stretches out exploring and runs into the wall and hisses at it.
    LOL Slinky actually hit the glass feeding the other night and got mad. Thats funny!

Its probably just making me extra scared because I haven't been bitten yet.. (*knock on wood*)

Thanks

Snakes in general are head shy, from my experience the younger ones being the worst. Some will eventually grow out of it to the point of you being able to "pet" their head all you want and others will get defensive when you touch their head. It all depends on the individual snake.

Thanks

mine used to hate any sudden movements near him. i've done it so many times that he just doesn't care anymore.. He lets me pet his head with no problems. I love how i let mine out to roam around on my bed...he'll be mad curious and slither around, but if I leave the room, he'll stay in the spot and won't move until I sit back down on the bed

Registered User elusivereptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

That's just typical Ball Python behavior. The way I get mine to calm down about me touching their heads is:

I'll hold them in my right hand, and with my left hand i'll slowly move it up from underneath them. Then i'll take the pointer finger on my left hand and touch the bottom jaw. After they get comfortable with that i'll start to scratch their chin. Once they get used to you touching them there after several days of handling, then just slowly touch the back of his neck, and slowly work your way to his head. Do this repeatidly until it doesn't bother him. And after a few weeks of this they will stop being head shy. Or at least mine have stopped being head shy.

-Matt
    http://www.elusivereptiles.com
    Specializing in ball python morphs

1.0 Spider - Rising Sun
    2.0 Pastel - Old Yeller, Gnarles
    2.0 Normal - Sir Hiss, Gargamel
    0.1 Normal 100% Het Albino - Chuckles
    0.1 Albino - Starfire
    0.1 Reduced Pattern / Banded (tiger) - Bertha
    0.2 Normal - Thulsa doom, Azriel
    0.1 Normal (blackback) - Evalynn
    0.1 Oddball - Georgia

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chetman7 View Post
    mine used to hate any sudden movements near him. i've done it so many times that he just doesn't care anymore.. He lets me pet his head with no problems. I love how i let mine out to roam around on my bed...he'll be mad curious and slither around, but if I leave the room, he'll stay in the spot and won't move until I sit back down on the bed
    ooo im still too nervous about letting mine slither around... overprotective mommy :-)

elusivereptiles: Ill have to try that! Just makes me nervous.. he has never hissed or struck at me but im still trying to put 'that day' off as long as possible

Thanks

I just got my ball yesterday and the second i take him out he comes out and explores....he even lets me pat his head.

Registered User elusivereptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

It's so great when that happens right off to bat, but unfortunately not all of us have your luck.
    http://www.elusivereptiles.com
    Specializing in ball python morphs

1.0 Spider - Rising Sun
    2.0 Pastel - Old Yeller, Gnarles
    2.0 Normal - Sir Hiss, Gargamel
    0.1 Normal 100% Het Albino - Chuckles
    0.1 Albino - Starfire
    0.1 Reduced Pattern / Banded (tiger) - Bertha
    0.2 Normal - Thulsa doom, Azriel
    0.1 Normal (blackback) - Evalynn
    0.1 Oddball - Georgia