Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,378

4 members and 3,374 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Identify this fish

In my past experiences, the Chinese Algae Eaters were rather agressive... I had to put him by himself cause he kept eating my Guppies.

I like the Plecos and the smaller Catfishie thingies whose name escapes me at this time... (White.. little chubby things...)
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LadyOhh View Post
    In my past experiences, the Chinese Algae Eaters were rather agressive... I had to put him by himself cause he kept eating my Guppies.

I like the Plecos and the smaller Catfishie thingies whose name escapes me at this time... (White.. little chubby things...)
    Corydora cats? They are relatively harmless, cute little fish
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mindibun View Post

Ginevive - I agree with you about the plecos. That's another reason I don't like them: they get huge. I feel guilty keeping them in such a small tank. I also love how you said "snake" when you meant to say "snail". Shows what you usually deal with. -lol-

As for the apple snail, I've done a lot of research and think I'll be alright with him. I stumbled across this website if anyone is interested. LOTS of info. http://applesnail.net/
    Haha! Oops. I like the apple snails as well; I never had the blue ones, but did have the golden-yellow colored ones.
    Ball pythons:

Thanks

The other drawback to the Plecos is that they produce a LOT of waste. Mine hides in a ceramic log most of the day and when I do my weekly water change, I have to make sure I lift that log and suck up all his mess. I love the Angels, they have become one of my favorite fish. I have two along with two gouramis in my 55 gallon and they all seem to get along fairly well.
    0.0.1 Ball Python (Austin)
    0.0.1 Albino California King
    0.0.1 Corn Snake (Cornsuela)
    0.1.0 Doberman/Shepherd/Lab mix (Zora)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    The other drawback to the Plecos is that they produce a LOT of waste. Mine hides in a ceramic log most of the day and when I do my weekly water change, I have to make sure I lift that log and suck up all his mess. I love the Angels, they have become one of my favorite fish. I have two along with two gouramis in my 55 gallon and they all seem to get along fairly well.
    You are so right I always snicker when people see our plecos and think that they help clean up the tank. I think that they make it worse! But I love them anyway. Even though they produce footlong strands of thick gray poop.. minor detail
    Ball pythons:

Thanks

Thats why bristle plecos seem to be better to run, they seem to do a better job and stay MUCH smaller, and the assumption of most plecos cleaning algae isn't all true, many switch diets from algae to little/no algae when they get older (although you need suppliments at all stages, as algae alone isnt enough anyhow), and the fact that commons can hit over 20 inches make them very unpractical for smaller tanks. Also, they like to suck slimecoats off certain fish but thats another topic in itself.

Thanks

i like my clown plecos they only get about 6 inches and work great in a small tank and i just move the one pleco from tank to tank whenever it needs the glass clean. i have been moving him around for 3 years now and have had no probloms. i will never go back to the common pleco they outgrow the tank fast even my 75 gal tank he was huge and needed to be feed all the time to leave my fish alone now he is in my friends 110 gal tank with 3 oscars no more picking on fish for him.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123