Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,191

0 members and 3,191 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Identify this fish

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons View Post
    Nice angels
    X2 ! They are defentlly gorgeous fishies!
    Grey Scale is a good thing...

Thanks

That is def not an otto. The chinese algae eater will get pretty big..like 5" or so... I think you angel will be fine with it, angels are rather agressive to begin with (they are actually a cichlid). You can supplement them with the algae wafers...feed them at night when the lights go off, so they will have the wafers to work on and not the slime coat of your angels....

Thanks

Ok, well I returned the chinese algae eater today. I discussed tank mates with several people and decided to give barbs a try. They're peaceable if left alone but not afraid to stand up for themselves, which is about perfect. I also got a blue apple snail, and turned the light on for the first time in ages. Some new gravel and a new plant spruced things up a bit. The angel is moving around again, but not acting aggressive at all - exactly what I'd hoped for.

I'm fascinated by the snail. My boyfriend can't understand why - he thinks it's the most boring thing he's ever seen.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mindibun View Post
    Ok, well I returned the chinese algae eater today. I discussed tank mates with several people and decided to give barbs a try. They're peaceable if left alone but not afraid to stand up for themselves, which is about perfect. I also got a blue apple snail, and turned the light on for the first time in ages. Some new gravel and a new plant spruced things up a bit. The angel is moving around again, but not acting aggressive at all - exactly what I'd hoped for.

I'm fascinated by the snail. My boyfriend can't understand why - he thinks it's the most boring thing he's ever seen.
    Aww cmon he is a little guy give him a chance .
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons View Post
    If you want a fish to clean up the excess food then get a plecostumus or for the algae a couple gold snails.

the fish you are suggesting are the same ones that killed our goldfish. It would actually feed on them while they tried to get away.

Thanks

To get less agression, you rearrange the tank, and by doing so, it sometimes can reset terroritories, which by buying new stuff you essentially did. Angels are unpredictable IMO (seen real agressive and/or territorial ones and real timid ones), as well as fish raised solo for a bit, so hopefully it with the rosy barbs will work allright. Also as far as introducing other fish for future reference you should do it after a feeding in the dark as so they slip in unnoticed and have a chance to slightly settle (as well as quarentine them beforehand for preventive maintence, as to not spread possible diseases they may have). As far if I were you I would upgrade to something higher when it gets larger like a 20 high or 29, as they really benefit from the added height, since they are more of that then length.
    Sorry for the overkill, and although I don't raise angels, I keep quite a bit of fish myself (over 500 gallons and counting) so I figured I would try and help with some problems I see that might arise.
    Good luck and if you ever have any other fish related questions, let me know.

Thanks

Also as far as algae, they have a product called a mag-float (it's just a magnetic scrubber) that you can use to get rid of it instead.

Thanks

Looks good I love plecos and have a few, but I never recommend them unless people have a large-enough tank for them, as they get huge. They can be a bit pushy too, especially if there is not alot of algae or algae wafers in the tank; one that I had used to go after my fancy goldfish. But really, plecos don't make good additions to GF tanks to begin with, as GFs are coldwater fish and plecos are tropical.
    I agree with WB; the mag-float algae removers are great. Just don't use them on an acrylic tank; they can scratch! I have one and it is much easier for me to use it on a regular basis, than have to deal with adding algae eaters. But, with your snail, you'd want to leave some algae on the back and maybe the sides of the tank for it. I would make sure too that now, if yonr tank is new, the snake has some food; they will eat off of sinking algae wafers.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Thanks for all the comments and concerns. I don't have the accommodations to quarantine fish for long periods of time. I just buy only very healthy looking fish and hope for the best. I have never had a problem before. (I know some people might disagree with this, but it's how I've always done it).

I introduced the new fish after syphoning the gravel with the lights out, so everything was moved at the time and the angel was more concerned with the syphon. I guess that's essentially the same as introducing them after a feed so they can "sneak in undetected".

Ginevive - I agree with you about the plecos. That's another reason I don't like them: they get huge. I feel guilty keeping them in such a small tank. I also love how you said "snake" when you meant to say "snail". Shows what you usually deal with. -lol-

As for the apple snail, I've done a lot of research and think I'll be alright with him. I stumbled across this website if anyone is interested. LOTS of info. http://applesnail.net/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blu Mongoose View Post
    the fish you are suggesting are the same ones that killed our goldfish. It would actually feed on them while they tried to get away.
    Hmm the only time i ever had goldfish were to feed my pirhana
    Joe Haggard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast