Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,326

1 members and 3,325 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Identify this fish

I purchased this algae eater just two days ago. I went online to research what to supplement his diet with, since its taken him only that long to eat the little bit of algae in my tank. While researching I realized I may have made a dangerous mistake...

Is this fish a Chinese algae eater, or an otto cat (otocinclus catfish)? The article said they are commonly confused and that the chinese algae eater would be particularly detrimental to my tank. (I keep angels) If it is a chinese algae eater, and I think it is, then I'll be returning him tomorrow.

Lemme know what you think.

(He's about an inch long)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Re: Identify this fish

Quote Originally Posted by Mindibun View Post
    I purchased this algae eater just two days ago. I went online to research what to supplement his diet with, since its taken him only that long to eat the little bit of algae in my tank. While researching I realized I may have made a dangerous mistake...

Is this fish a Chinese algae eater, or an otto cat (otocinclus catfish)? The article said they are commonly confused and that the chinese algae eater would be particularly detrimental to my tank. (I keep angels) If it is a chinese algae eater, and I think it is, then I'll be returning him tomorrow.

Lemme know what you think.

(He's about an inch long)
    It has been a little while since i had a fish tank but that still looks like the chinese algae eater
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Yeah; ottos look different. I have noticed that these chinese algae eaters will suck on my goldfish if the tank light is out. I only have one now in the oscar tank and he is so paranoid that he hardly ever comes out.. but I am not 100% sure how they are with angels.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

They're supposed to act the same towards angels- they suck on 'em. Right now it's tiny so it's not a problem, but when they start to mature they become territorial and suck the scales off of flat fish. So tomorrow he's going back. And I'm getting the RIGHT one this time.

Thanks

You should post some of your Angels too along with your new Al-eater!
    Grey Scale is a good thing...

Thanks

Sounds cool! I know that angels are pretty delicate.. my friend keeps them, and they are a big investment. So you're doing the right thing in my book.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mindibun View Post
    They're supposed to act the same towards angels- they suck on 'em. Right now it's tiny so it's not a problem, but when they start to mature they become territorial and suck the scales off of flat fish. So tomorrow he's going back. And I'm getting the RIGHT one this time.
    If you want a fish to clean up the excess food then get a plecostumus or for the algae a couple gold snails.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laooda View Post
    You should post some of your Angels too along with your new Al-eater!
    I agree WE WANT PICS
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

I used to have a pleco. They like to jump out of my tanks and in my book they're comparable to lizards. I can't deal with that, as ridiculous as that is to admit on a reptile forum. I also don't want snails because I've had bad experiences with them performing a coup d'etat of the tank. (Although I believe gold snails are reasonable creatures as compared to the black ones) Have you seen the blue snails? I'm in love with those. Maybe I'll look into that...

As for my angels, they used to be a breeding pair, but my male recently passed away of an unknown disease. I believe it was some form of bloat and I just couldn't cure him of it. I tried everything - I must have spent close to $100 on that one little fish. Now I just have the female. She's about 4 or 5, and I've been battling with the idea of a tank mate for her. She just hovers around the heater. Unfortunately, any time I try to introduce a new fish (they've mostly been bottom dwellers) she bullies them. So I don't know what to do. I've been told that single angels are fine, but she was with her mate for so long and her personality is just gone now...

Anyway, here is an old picture of her with her mate (the male is the black angel behind the marble)

And here's an updated picture.

She's about 2.5 inches tall. The tank is only a ten gallon. I've always wanted a 30gal bow front but never got it, and when the male died, I was like "Forget it. I don't want anymore fish. She can live out her life happily and then I'm done." The whole tank used to be live. Live plants, even live soil. I've got a great fluorescent light, I just don't ever turn it on anymore.

The whole thing is rather pitiful. -lol-

Thanks

Nice angels
    Joe Haggard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast