Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,158

2 members and 3,156 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Crested Gecko Care.

Nice new set up--I really like those enclosures.

All good points to take into consideration given by NightLad. Definitely check the temps under your lamp and on the screen as it may get quite hot. You can also use coconut coir type bedding like bed-a-beast for a more natural look--this will not cause impaction if ingested and will not cut or damage their mouths if they chomp down on it.

Crickets can be left in the enclosure for 24 hours after which time they should be removed so they don't annoy or chew on any gecko toes.
    - Emily

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NightLad View Post
    Looks fantastic! I have mine in a 18X18X24 Exo-Terra, with a medium Exo-Terra waterfall for a constant humidity of mid-60's to mid-70's, with a spike of 80ish after a late evening misting. Cresties love tall enclosures and vines to hide in. However, it is also important to provide some horizontal perch for them to relax on. Some people believe that sleeping upside-down on the glass can lead to the 'floppy' or 'dead' tail condition in which the muscles at the base of the tail basically stop working and their once near-prehensile tail just sort of flops back and forth like a dead limb.

You can get a Repti Hammock (made by ZooMed) in various sizes and stick it in one of the back corners behind some vines. That works well. You can see a picture of it here: Repti Hammock

Another thing to remember; don't let the temp get over 80. Most people say 82F is the highest, but I prefer 80 just to play it safe. Prolonged exposure to temps above 80-82F are fatal.

If you want to provide a small basking area in one of the upper corners of the enclosure I'd recommend a low wattage (25-30) ceramic heat emitter. I recommend a CHE because in my experience heating/basking lamps kill humidity.

Don't forget to clean the waterfall at least once a week, and to clean out the enclosure at least once per month. A fantastic cleaning agent you can use for this job is "Healthy Habitat all-Natural Cleaner/Deodorizer". It is also a mild disinfectant, devoid of toxins and fully biodegradable. It comes in a convenient spray bottle, so you can just mist out the empty enclosure and wipe it down, then wipe it clean with a water-damp washcloth. You can also use it on the vines and whatnot. (Works great for your BP enclosure too! Some harsher cleaners, like vinegar, will damage the aquarium silicone over time.) See a picture of it here: Healthy Habitat Cleaner

One thing I would caution you to keep an eye on; that substrate you are using. Some people have reported that when lunging for crickets the cresties can get a mouth full of the bark. Depending on the size you are using it may cause issues. The professional Crested Gecko breeders I know don't use anything other than paper or simple paper towels for their animals. I see that you are going for a more 'natural look', and I am totally into that look too, but after some thought I decided that a simple layer of brown parcel paper was good enough. It is also far simpler to clean every month; just roll it up and toss it out. The brown is 'natural' enough looking for me. I put a few stones in each corner of the cage to keep it from rolling up due to humidity over time.

I hope some of my thoughts have been helpful! Again, kudos on the great setup and wonderful new pet! They can live upwards of 20+ years, so your daughter may have a best friend for a long, long time. hehe.

Thanks for all the good info. I'll be swapping the substrate out soon. I'll look into one of those waterfall thingy. Even though my humidity stays around 60% and up.

Yep, those Exo Terra setups are nice.

Quote Originally Posted by mlededee View Post
    Nice new set up--I really like those enclosures.

All good points to take into consideration given by NightLad. Definitely check the temps under your lamp and on the screen as it may get quite hot. You can also use coconut coir type bedding like bed-a-beast for a more natural look--this will not cause impaction if ingested and will not cut or damage their mouths if they chomp down on it.

Crickets can be left in the enclosure for 24 hours after which time they should be removed so they don't annoy or chew on any gecko toes.
    I'll take out those crickets later on when I get home then. Oh, the red light is there but it's not on. I turned it on to see her eat. Also, I'm sure that bulb would suck out the humidity so that's why I'm not using it. If it's on, then it's temporary.

Thanks

Sorry for that.

Thanks

BIG UPDATE!!!

My baby laid EGGS!

They look like white oval thingies. I hope they're eggs. If so, how do I care for them? This was totally unexpected! I guess she wasn't a "MISSY" when I got her. I'm worried. I wouldn't want them to die.

Thanks

Holy Cow!! I had the same thing happen to me. I had rescued/adopted a female from petco last year. She started laying eggs left and right. Well in Feb. I got 3 healthy mystery babies from those eggs that are now about 9 weeks old

Okay what you want to do, is mark the top with a marker as you found them. You don't want to turn them, it will kill the developing baby if they are fertile.

Then get a small container, some perilite from lowes or home depot with NO added chemicals. Mix it with water, I use two parts perilite to one part water, and squeeze out any extra moisture so it isn't dripping wet but will clump together.

Then place the eggs gently into the perilite about half way to 3/4 of the way deep, but make sure that you can at least see the mark on the egg.

Then put the lid on the container, and wait, wait wait.... since your house is kept pretty warm they should hatch at around 80 days give or take a few.

OH and open the container once a week or so to air out and add fresh air.

Now a little note. IF you have already moved the eggs without marking them. Take them into a dark room with a small flashlight. The tiny maglights, or small keychain led lights work. Shine the light through the egg, find the red veins. It should look like a cheerio, with a dot in the middle. That should be the top, mark it.

Sometimes the veins don't appear for the first couple of weeks, so if you can't find them, don't throw them out until you are positive they are bad.

Keep us updated!!
    Kristina Rogers
    http://www.myspace.com/kristinarogers
    1.0 Ball Python
    1.1 Crested Geckos
    1.0 Pastel BCI
    0.1 Beardie (Pop Tart)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123