Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,421

2 members and 3,419 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Lightbulb The 'Chill' Tree

Last Christmas my 17 year-old son gave his old man $50 as a gift, with instructions to spend it on the materials needed to build Monty a Chill Tree...basically a place that I can put Monty so that he can 'chill out' while I work on the computer. It was a fun winter project, and were I to make another I would probably be able to slim the material costs down to $25-$30.

This tree was somewhat simple to make with PVC pipe joints, plastic greens bought at Hobby Lobby (on sale), and a hot glue gun. I also used a propane torch to burn/singe the PVC to give it a tree-bark look, which on other forums I had seen done for building perches for tree snake cages.

I won't take complete credit for the chill tree idea...I saw a similar tree on another Ball Python forum, but there were no instructions, only photos to go by. Additionally there were not any photos of how the tree was attached to a stand...or whatever was used. I made mine with a melamine shelf and a PVC coupler that allows me to easily detach the tree for washing, just in case Monty poops in his tree, which he did only once (so far). But cleaning was a snap!

I also place old pillows below the tree so that if Monty slips and falls (he's done that once also) he has a soft landing spot. On top of the pillows I place and piece of plastic shower curtain...I don't need snake pee on my carpet.

Now I know that Ball Pythons are not tree-dwelling snakes, but Monty seems to really like his tree. When I place him in it he either crawls all around from one side to the other giving him a good dose of exercise, or he'll sit in a perch and watch me while I work. And when it's time to put him back in his cage he usually doesn't want to go! When I'm not using the tree, it sits in my bedroom window...from the street you would never guess that it's not real and made of PVC pipes!

I would love to hear what others think of this chill tree idea, and if there's enough interest maybe I'll make up a set of instructions so that others here can make their own.

-Kerig

Thanks

Re: The 'Chill' Tree

I like it! I think it's a cool idea. Especially if the snake likes it!

Makes me want to build one myself!

I'm pretty sure my BP likes being up some place high and seeing what's going on as well. He really liked hagning out on this small fake branhc I have in his cage just before I go to sleep. He climbs up it and just stares out of the cage and watches me get ready for bed. I think something like this... he'd enjoy!
    Last edited by Karbon; 03-27-2008 at 12:01 AM.
    0.1 Ball Python - Guinness
    1.0 Spider Ball Python - Gizmo

Thanks

*idea* If you want to help give him more to hold onto so he doesnt slip off, maybe try and add some 'branches'. I have a thick twistable vine in my viv, if you wrapped something like that around the pvc, he could hang onto it with the end of his tail!

But its awesome already!
    1.0 Normal Ball Python- Little Dude
    0.0.1 Albino Kingsnake - Weiner
    Missi

Thanks

Nice, it looks as if you ball is really enjoying the "Chill Tree."

Thanks

thats an awesome idea i think my BP and especially my boa would love it

Thanks

Thats very cool looking. The only thing I use to have a branch about that size in this big cage I had for an iguana. After they were gone I moved my first ball into it. They are not the best climbers. He fell a few times then I move him into a better cage for him. Anyways make sure you keep an eye on him when it in the tree. Wouldn't want it to fall and get hurt.

Thanks

Love it!
    Furio is still pretty little and not always sure of his balance (I think he has a drinking problem sometimes) but I would love to see instructions on how you made that. Seems like it would be cool to have and he'd probably enjoy it.
    Great Work!

Facebook.com/ToValhallaReptiles
    Instagram.com/ToValhallaReptiles

Thanks

I would love to hear what others think of this chill tree idea, and if there's enough interest maybe I'll make up a set of instructions so that others here can make their own.
    That is very cool looking! I'd love it if you could post instructions.

Thanks

thats kool, my corn snake used to like to chill out in a house tree we had

Thanks

Yeah, definetly awesome, Part of the best thing about this hobby is the possibilities of DIY stuff to keep you and your slithery buddies entertained. I would love to see some instructions as well, especially how you got that texture rich pattern on the pvc. maybe throw a net underneath incase the snake does fall?? (definetly agree with adding the vines on there though for gripping)
    There is no universal "reality", your universe is subject only to individual perhaps group perspective.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast