Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,322

1 members and 3,321 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: I need some moral support here people

Quote Originally Posted by greghall View Post
    THEY DO WHAT THEY DO,rats & mice are cute my kids have them for pets after my boa would'nt eat one know its a pet I call it the luckiest rat alive. one of my kids don't like it but I explain its what they do & teach them about nature & how life works as with death its a fact not pretty but still a fact.

I think that is very honorable.

Thanks

Yes, when constricted, mice/rats/etc. die a faster death from cardiac arrest than a death from suffocation in a dry ice chamber. Also, studies show (Reptiles magazine had a story) that only primates and monkeys have an innate fear of snakes when enclosed with them. So even the fear thing is in doubt - the mouse might want to escape like any other place he'd be put in - but he probably isn't any more afraid.

Also, either way, a rodent has to die for your snake to eat. It's the mouse or the snake. In having a snake, hopefully, you can come to accept that and live with it. It is part of nature.

Good luck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JeffFlanagan View Post
    I love my rodents as much as I love my snakes, but it's just nature that the snakes eat the rodents, and the rodents I breed wouldn't even get to exist if they weren't being bred for the snakes.

I give the rodents a good life right up until the end, and eat meat myself, so I've gotten over feeling bad about feedings.
    Yeah one of the earlier posts said the same thing...its a good point to make that they really do have a good life while they are here. Which can't be said for a lot of others.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sneakerpro View Post
    I am the OWNER of the snake we are discussing. I felt like I did an appropriate amount of research before purchasing a snake, and during that research I was told that almost every snake will eat F/T, and that the snake I was buying had been eating F/T pinkies. I thought I would be able to continue the F/T routine, but it doesn't seem to be working.

I know now that these aren't very reliable facts, and I am a little bit of a sucker for listening to Petco employees (no offense to any members who work there).

On another thread the general feeling I got was that feeding live would trigger the instinct to feed, and if that is the best way to get some food in him then I will do what has to be done. I'm not one of those "shock value" youtube video posting snake keepers. I am a logical, food-chain thinking person. I am also a responsible pet keeper, and want to do what is in the best interest of my snake. I have no idea when the last time he was fed, and most young BPs I see have more girth than mine does. It is time for him to get some food, and I think trying live is going to work.

I know Jen feels very sorry for the mouse, and I can understand it. However, she also cares about the snake, and is smart enough to know that even though it may not be the perfect situation it has to be done. I plan on attempting to feed tonight while she is at work.

P.S.
    I'm hanging out at work today with a mouse, because she doesn't want to see it/spend time with it before we try to feed it to the snake. The mouse is keeping me company
    You are like THE sweetest guy in the world. Thank you for inconveniencing yourself on my behalf baby, I love you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sneakerpro View Post
    Hey, thanks man. I appreciate the all the WONDERFUL SUPPORT from you

I couldn't resist.

But seriously, thanks to everyone for all the different views that were discussed here. As always, it was very helpful. I'm excited to attempt another feeding and post tomorrow about all the SUCCESS I had!
    Just a little spoiler for everyone......while I was at work sneakerpro offered the live mouse and he said it took all of two minutes for him to decide he wanted it! (I think the little guy was hungry) I am happy he has eaten!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Evilme5229 View Post
    I very much like you feel extremely bad for these mice that are being sacrificed for the good of your snake. I still very much withdrawn and upset about this, but my baby bp was not eating for several reasons. I bought him from a very very horrible reptile store where I'm still dealing with the problem. I bought two snakes from there and one turned out to be sick. I feared that my other one would be as well. He had to have antibotics (liquid) flush into his stomach because it was believed he might have parasites living in his tummy. I feared he wouldn't eat because he refused to eat a few times. When your faced with your snake not feeding you fear losing your snake. Mine finally ate for the first time and it was a little mortifying but it was better than my snake dieing. If your still a little unsure if you want to feed your snake do what I planned to do and have your boyfriend/husband do it. Then you dont have to see it take place.

That is an excellent idea and we took your advice

Thanks

Well congrats on a full snake belly!! Although you are fond of mice (so am I) doesn't it feel good to know he's fed
    1.0 Normal Ball Python- Little Dude
    0.0.1 Albino Kingsnake - Weiner
    Missi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by missi182 View Post
    Well congrats on a full snake belly!! Although you are fond of mice (so am I) doesn't it feel good to know he's fed

YES!!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b8byjenny View Post
    After many unsuccessful weeks of offering F/T to our baby BP my boyfriend has decided to try live next. I am VERY sad about this being as I'm normally the girl buying up all of the "feeder mice" at the pet stores to "save them."

So I'm needing lots of comments about how it really isn't cruel, and they really don't suffer, and its nature taking its course, and our little one really needs to eat, and and and....

I just feel so bad for the poor little mouse
    Yes, it is all that you have said. I feed all of my ball pythons live rats. I breed my own rats. I really enjoy breeding rats. I like them, but when it comes down to my snakes, I love them. So I don't mind to feed them live. I have tried f/t and it didn't work. I want my snakes to eat for me ever week, and I don't see any reason to starve them becasue I don't want to give them live. Over time it will less hard on you. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

To the OP.

Glad to see you are concerned with the welfare of your feeders.

I am a graduate of the "FrankyKeno School of Rodent Breeding and Feeding", and feel that for those of us that feed live, respecting the feeder prey is critical.

I raise all my own prey. My breeders are my pets, and like Franky I retire my females and/or rehome them.

I feed live to my pythons, and I also CO2 rats for my colubrids.

Feeding rats IS part of having a snake. But I will not say the "feed it and get over it thing"... I do not buy that. I think it does take time to really grasp it and to comfortable with it.

It takes a bit of confidence and a concept of the bigger picture. If you feed awkwardly or are not efficient, it does not allow your snake a clean strike or an efficient kill. Which just makes it worse... I had been there, and those experiences are the ones that help you learn.

Especially if you want to provide a quick death for the rodent.

Glad you have a supportive partner.

I can tell from your excitement over his initial feed that perhaps a bit of your hesitation is lifting?

My first BP did not eat for 4 months... I tried everything... I even debrained a mouse. Think feeding live is hard... debraining a mouse is something I NEVER want to do again. I offered him live and BAM!... I never looked back. I was amazed to watch it and see just how efficient he was.

Far more efficient than all the tricks I was using that were only serving to stress him out, rather than giving him what he needed... a meal.

Bruce

PS: I think sometimes we forget that stigma is attached not only to snakes, but to snake owners. And that cultural myths/mores prevail regarding what is humane and inhumane. It is easy for people to say "that is cruel!" and if we hear it enough in our lives, we have that disconnect from what is the reality of a snake's live... and that they truly are (as are all animals) a perfect form of evolution.
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast