Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,182

0 members and 3,182 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Thread: Keeping ducks?

Thanks

Keeping ducks?

Today I went over to my Uncles house for a easter barbecue, and he had a baby chick! I fell in love with it and instantly wanted a one, except in a duck form! What does it take to keep one?
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Re: Keeping ducks?

Also, this will be a normal non flying white duck
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Hah, we used to have four of those! They're a ton of fun to watch growing up, and eventually become very personable. They really don't require much. We kept ours in a shed-like enclosure. It was approx 4' wide x 8' long x 8' high. The floor was plywood with a thick layer of straw over it. There was a kiddie sandbox that we kept filled with water approx 3' x 3' x 1'. We had a wooden box that they could go sleep in, which was heated with a tent heater that stayed outside of the enclosre in a metal box. The substrate in there was also straw, but we kept a folded blanket in the bottom for extra heat. We fed them on commercial feed, and we'd throw them things like nightcrawlers and minnows fairly often. They grow very quickly, so I'd say if you intend to keep them for the long haul, to build a very nice sized enclosure. Sadly, we had to give ours away, as we moved and did not want to keep them on our new property (coons, foxes, and coyotes are regulars around here ). They are very rewarding critters to own, and with time become very personable and very loving. It got to the point where they would follow us everywhere we walked, always staying close.

Damn, I think I want more ducks now

Thanks

Ducks are very easy to care for. Give them a pen, shelter, food, and water. When I'd order ducklings, I would give them a big kiddy pool to swim in after their feathers came in, and still do let them swim. They don't *need* it, but they enjoy it so why not?

Ducks are MUCH happier if they're not an only-duck. They're flock oriented, and you should probably keep at least 3 or so to keep them happy. Also, a lot of ducks are VERY anti-people are aren't too friendly at all. I've handled all of my ducklings daily (probably about 30 or so to date), but they all end up being afraid of me by the time they're out and running around.

Also, depending on what breed the duck is, a lot of domestic ducks CAN fly over a fence. I have had Magpies, Runners, and Khaki Campbells, and all of them have been able to get over the 4' fence. However, that's usually only when they're harassed. The 5 I have now don't care a bit and don't even try to jump the fence. If by "non-flying white duck" you mean a Pekin (big fat meat birds), it won't get over the fence, they're much too big.

Thanks

Yup, Pekin ducks. The more and more i look them up the more I want one, they looks so lovable( and after watching Joey's ducks off of friends it adds to the excitement!)
    - Matt

Thanks

I got a young set of ducklings (4), they were supposed to be Ruens, the larger supposedly non flying relative of a regular common duck...
    Come fall, they flew away.. I won't be keeping anything but large pekin ducks !!
    LOL

Thanks

I have always wanted pekins! But I was worried about them being out in -30 in the winter, and of course my mom didnt like the idea of ducks running around when I was younger But they are so darn cute, I mean come on, who hasn't thought "I want a duck!" at least once in their childhood haha.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python- Little Dude
    0.0.1 Albino Kingsnake - Weiner
    Missi