Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,187

1 members and 3,186 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Bunny owners?

Thanks

Bunny owners?

Just wondering how many here are bunny owners? Seems I have adopted a male dwarf when I went to get this weeks feeders. I have some basic bunny knowledge along with supplies but any guidance would be much appreciated.
    1.1 crazy dogs
    4.3 even crazier cats
    2.2 bps
    2.0 Off Track Thoroughbreds
    0.3 human kids
    1.0 Boyfriend who puts up with the craziness

Thanks

Re: Bunny owners?

I've got rabbits.. Perhaps too many, but hey, there's never too many bunnies.

What kind of stuff do you need help with, anything in particular?

Thanks

Aww... dwarf. I miss my little female dwarf, she was the cutest!
    I know a bit about bunnies. What's up?
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

What is the best brand of hay and pellets? He is still young, only about 2 months old but when can I get him neutered? Do males mark alot if you don't get them fixed?
    LOL, I never knew bunnies purred but he does. It's adorable.
    I guess I am looking for just some general advice for a first time bunny owner.
    thanks
    1.1 crazy dogs
    4.3 even crazier cats
    2.2 bps
    0.3 human kids

Thanks

I have a little dwarf boy that was dropped into my lap a few years ago and he's awesome! His name is Nyxie because he was sold as a girl and for three and a half years, we had no reason to doubt that... He used his litter box flawlessly, and wasn't very aggressive, but one day he started mounting everything in sight and we took a closer look... Sure enough, he's a little man!

My personal favorite brand of rabbit pellets is the Oxbow Bunny Basics. It's Timothy Hay based instead of alfalfa, and there's no fatty seeds or treats or anything in it. Plus it's naturally preserved. His poop looks fantastic and doesn't smell as bad, it's great stuff! As for hay, we just get big bales of Orchard Grass because we have pygmy goats, and Nyxie eats the same hay that they do.

He actually lives with the goats now, in their pen. We used to let him play with them on occasion, but he really bonded to the girl. He waits for her to lie down then he climbs on her back and just sits with her for hours. He gets extremely upset and agitated when we try to separate him from them, even to the point of attacking people! But on the plus side, he seems to have litter box trained the goats, so they all go in a big make-shift litter box now. Easy cleanin'!

The best tip I ever got for bunnies is to give them plenty of toys. They'll play like mad if you give them the right stuff! Nyxie particularly likes this little wicker carrot thing you can get at Petco, but he also likes the wooden take-out chopsticks. He throws them in the air and chases them, it's the cutest thing!

Thanks

Oxbow rules for bunnies!! You want to make sure the main ingredient is Timothy hay, not alfalfa. Alfalfa is best as a treat only, not a main diet. They need a steady supply of pellet (hoppers are best since you fill them from outside), and lots of fresh hay every day. Store hay in aerated cardboard or wood containers, not plastic since it will mold there.

I agree - toys are quite important. If they don't have levels to climb (low angle ramps of course) and things to toss around and chew, they just sit around eating, pooping, and getting really fat.

When I had my rabbits (one dwarf, one lop and a chinchilla rabbit) I kept the two big ones in a 'three level' cage (Super Pet brand I believe) and the dwarf in a 'two level ferret' type cage with the ramps low. They had hoppers for food, a rack for hay, lots of toys, a mineral lick, and large (16oz)water bottles - one on each level. I groomed them, let them hop about in the playpen (the dwarf got to play on the bed...she loved terrorizing my cat), and gave them occasional treats of fresh foods.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Thanks Ok, I have Timothy hay and pellets. I will look for Oxbow when I get new pellets. I assume that since he is still so young to hold out on veggies for now correct?
    I have him in a two level ferret cage which has a nesting wicker box. I bought a couple wooden bird toys as the rabbit selection sucked. I am going out to get more toys tomorrow. In the mean time, I am rabbit proofing a couple areas of the house to slowly introduce him to.
    1.1 crazy dogs
    4.3 even crazier cats
    2.2 bps
    0.3 human kids