Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,337

4 members and 3,333 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

View Poll Results: What age beardie should I get?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Adult

34 24.82%
  • Baby

83 60.58%
  • Neither

20 14.60%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adult or Baby

Thanks

Re: Adult or Baby

Beardies are great pets, just make sure you let him rest in his new enclosure for a little bit. I was going through this same debate. I decided to listen to another member on another forum and purchase mine through a breeder in Arizona. I got my Dragon the next day and he came fine, he also brought a girl friend. Needless to say, I was very happy to receive two Bearded Dragons. They are still a bit timid, but are starting to really pick up on eating. I have had them for about a month or so.

If you are curious as to what lighting you should use for the enclosure I would get a Zoo Med Repti-SUN fluorescent tube. Do not purchase the compact fluorescent bulb as it is known to make Bearded Dragons sick. (It poisons them with the UVB, it is also very bright and can damage their vision)

Since you purchased an adult bearded dragon, you should not have to spend an arm and a leg on protein. The dragon should be consuming about 80% greens and 20% protein. You can feed them a variety of insects such as crickets, super worms, dubia roaches, silkworms, etc.

The temperature requirement for an adult bearded dragon should be about 90-95 degrees farenheit. You can achieve these temperatures with a 65-75W basking light.

Enjoy your new beardie, get some pictures up of this guy.

Thanks

There is so much conflicting info on here that it's probably rather hard for you to know what is best for a dragon.
    Here is a website to help you see what they eat,
    http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtrem...nframeset.html
    Here is a forum that will tell you EVERYTHING you could possibly want to know about beardies.
    www.beardeddragon.org
    Everyone is really nice there and very helpful.

I currently have 3 adults, 1 sub-adult, 2 juveniles, and 30 hatchlings. Bearded dragons are like scaly puppies they each have their own personalities, likes and dislikes and are one of the most docile lizards I have seen.

I wish you lots of luck on your endeavor to choose . . .
    ~Christene~
    ~ 0.2 Normals ~ 1.2 Pastels ~ 1.0 Spider ~ 1.0 Pinstripe ~ 1.0 Orange Ghost ~ 1.0 Albino ~ 0.1 het Albino ~ 1.0 Spotnose ~ 1.0 Jungle ~ 4.9 Kenyan Sand Boas ~ 1.0 Bearded Dragons ~ 1.0 Frilled Dragon ~ 2.6.1 Leopard geckos ~ 1.0 S. Stenodactylus ~
    -All pictures taken with a FujiFilm FinePix A805 8.3 Mega Pixel Camera-

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OgleRpets View Post
    There is so much conflicting info on here that it's probably rather hard for you to know what is best for a dragon.
    Here is a website to help you see what they eat,
    http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtrem...nframeset.html
    Here is a forum that will tell you EVERYTHING you could possibly want to know about beardies.
    www.beardeddragon.org
    Everyone is really nice there and very helpful.

I currently have 3 adults, 1 sub-adult, 2 juveniles, and 30 hatchlings. Bearded dragons are like scaly puppies they each have their own personalities, likes and dislikes and are one of the most docile lizards I have seen.

I wish you lots of luck on your endeavor to choose . . .
    Both great sites.
    Last edited by Crazy4Herps; 09-19-2009 at 07:13 PM.

Thanks

bearded dragons are fun i have 22 dragons and 17 babies only thing i hate is when i have to clean there cages cause it has to be done every day lol but its well worth it there like my kids the scary thing is thats not the only reptile/ animal i keep we got all of our dragons as babies so we can learn there personality cause every dragon is different i love that about them

Thanks

Ok well I put neither. Because to me a baby beardie is just a a bit difficult. Now if by baby you mean one thats a few months old then I say go for it.
    Chris http://dragcave.net/user/sg1trogdor
    Time for some until I see

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beardedragon View Post
    2. Beardies eat ALOT(50-100 appropriate sized crickets a DAY) These are not cheap to feed. I spent $20 a week on crickets on line, so it is not that much. Just the cost alone to start them Is ALOT
    Definitely! Think about that before you buy him. The initial start up cost is very costly and then there food adds up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ALEX B. View Post
    I personnaly think most of the fun is getting something as a baby and raising it to adulthood.
    I agree I feel like it makes a better bond, plus its cool to watch them grow
    Last edited by BrianaK; 04-24-2010 at 08:58 AM.
    briana -
    http://www.iherp.com/dudleydragon

1.0 bearded dragon
    0.1 normal leopard geckos
    1.0 pastel
    0.1 lesser platinum
    0.1 yellow belly

Thanks

Another thing...if you do end up getting one, I recommend finding ONE person that you know who's advice you can trust. Preferably someone who has been keeping them for a while and knows their stuff. For me that person was the breeder I bought him off of. Asking questions on forums when you first get a beardie can be extremely stressful because everyone has different opinions and you'll just end up going crazy. At least I know I did! Just remember that beardies can be a lot of work to take care of so make sure your prepared for the responsibility.
    briana -
    http://www.iherp.com/dudleydragon

1.0 bearded dragon
    0.1 normal leopard geckos
    1.0 pastel
    0.1 lesser platinum
    0.1 yellow belly

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BrianaK For This Useful Post:

jfreels (04-26-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brikimura View Post
    Another thing...if you do end up getting one, I recommend finding ONE person that you know who's advice you can trust. Preferably someone who has been keeping them for a while and knows their stuff. For me that person was the breeder I bought him off of. Asking questions on forums when you first get a beardie can be extremely stressful because everyone has different opinions and you'll just end up going crazy. At least I know I did! Just remember that beardies can be a lot of work to take care of so make sure your prepared for the responsibility.
    x2. The web is an excellent place to find information, but there are so many opinions out there! Everyone has a different approach to husbandry. When I am getting mixed messages on a forum, I will always email the breeder or call our vet. I also know of a Petco employee who has been keeping reptiles for a long time and whose advice I seek.

Thanks

adults are cheaper to feed- good choice. my baby eats an insane amount of food! 5 weeks went from 4g to 40g. in the same amount of time one of my hatchling cresteds went from 4g to...9g lol its amazing literally seeing a difference week to week!
    1.0 costa rican bci
    1.0. bearded dragon
    1.0.1. crested geckos
    0.1.1. gargoyle geckos
    0.1. emperor scorpion

Thanks

yeah beardie are great mine is 18 weeks old today is 9 inches long and weighs 35grams
    GOD IS GOOD, AND HIS LOVE LASTS FOREVER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123